BMW 135i Winter Tire Question

Old May 26th 08, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

Default BMW 135i Winter Tire Question

" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 09:28:53 -0400, Dean Dark
> > wrote:

>>>Baltimore - that's south of Madrid - just how many is "several days snow
>>>year" that you have to go to these lengths?

>>I live near Philadelphia, the latitude being around 40°N, which is
>>well south of Madrid. Leaving aside (if we can) the oddball global
>>climate changes of the last few years, let me tell you that we can get
>>damned severe winters here.
>>
>>There's a *huge* continental land mass behind me, as far as the
>>prevailing winds are concerned. When the jet stream gets pushed far
>>south in the winter, it's not all that unusual to see temperatures of
>>-10 to -15°C here. It's not *only* about latitude, you know.

> Well said. I live in Minnesota, which is South of Milan. And I am
> willing to bet both my bimmers that I see more snow in one winter here
> then anybody living in Milan has seen in a lifetime.
> Mark Clayton, as evidenced by his "South of Madrid" comment, obviously
> has no clue about climate in context of continents.

Cheeky ***. Having been in New York in February it is indeed very cold some
days colder than Scotland where I was brought up (56N) usually, but I
wouldn't have thought you would need snow chains or special tyres etc.,
although a 4WD might be an idea!

Old May 26th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

> wrote
> In snowy conditions what is so different about the 135i? Should not
> skillful, and cautious, driving be enough? Note, I am not talking
> about anything greater than say six inches.

At the minimum, you need to replace your summer tires with all-season tires.
At least they will not harden too much when the temps drop. If you choose
to stick with summer tires that will turn to hockey pucks during winter,
then at least stay away from all others on the roads. You'll be like a
loaded gun in the hands of a child.

Also, sign up for a winter driving course, especially if this is your first
RWD vehicle.

FYI, I used to live in NOVA (stone throw away from Baltimore), and used to
have two dedicated sets of wheels and tires on my A4 quattro. One set of
all-seasons would probably have sufficed for getting around town, but I
often went on ski trips. Besides, all-seasons aren't that great during
summer if you like spirited driving. Why spend the money on a sporty car
and then cut yourself short by running mediocre tires?

Regards,
Pete

Old May 27th 08, 07:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:37:44 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>
> For the last few winters the East Coast has been pounded with
> snowstorms. It's not at all uncommen there to get 18 inches of snow in
> a setting.

Could be. But for the past decade, the OP's area of Baltimore has only
averaged about 10~15 inches of snow for the entire winter season (December
thru March) with the one major storm occurring in Feb., 2003.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/bwi/bwisnow.txt

Tom K.

Old May 27th 08, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Tom K." > wrote in message
. ..

> " > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 26 May 2008 19:37:44 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> For the last few winters the East Coast has been pounded with
>> snowstorms. It's not at all uncommen there to get 18 inches of snow in
>> a setting.

> Could be. But for the past decade, the OP's area of Baltimore has only
> averaged about 10~15 inches of snow for the entire winter season (December
> thru March) with the one major storm occurring in Feb., 2003.
>
> http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/bwi/bwisnow.txt
>
> Tom K.

I thought they were wimping out. OK so it is cold and icy higher up and
further north, but Baltimore - 39N and sea level - give me a break!