Clear plastic shields

Old July 9th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Clear plastic shields

Anyone ever tried those clear plastic things you put on the hood and
headlights to prevent paint chips?

Any sources?
Pre cut? Bulk?
TIA

Norm

Old July 10th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

Norm:

not exactly sure what kind of "clear plastic things" you refer to, but
my experieces:

several cars, tried a molded lexan or plexiglass wind-dam sort of
thing that was supposed to divert dirt and stones from the windshield
(and also covered several inches of the front of the hood). yeah, they
diverted a negligible amount of debris from the windshield. they also
made the wipers float at speed .....then, I found out that you cure the
floating wipers with heavy duty springs to hold them down.......then I
found out that wears out the wiper motor. enough of that.

, for my '06 Mustang: got the "factory approved" bra set-up......the
most miserably designed, hard to install monstrosity I've ever
encountered. Took over an hour to get it on BUT.....a very tailored
installation and looks pretty good. after a year and a half, it hasn't
abraided the paint underneath.

that left the headlights which look very vulnerable.....and expensive.
when I got the car I went online and ordered catalogs from every vendor
who claimed to have '05 and up accessories. got a bunch of catalogs
that didn't have anything for the new model. so I hit eBay......several
vendors selling molded plastic headlight covers.....but after 2 months
of trying, nobuddy had clear ones, just blue,smoked, bronze,red,etc.

so finally, just bought a set from another vendor on eBay of
self-adhesive mylar film covers. at $14.95 they were horrbly overpriced
for what they are, but they did arrive pre-cut and you just peel off the
backing and stick them on.....can't even tell they're on there, and I
trust will keep the lenses from clouding from abrasions.

Hope this helps.

Old July 19th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Yes. thanks for your excellent response.

Norm