VW Introduces the 69 MPG Diesel EcoRacer Concept

Old October 20th 05, 01:52 AM
BE

Default VW Introduces the 69 MPG Diesel EcoRacer Concept

VW Introduces the 69 MPG Diesel EcoRacer Concept

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...roduces_t.html

Now what is keeping all manufacturers from getting cars like this into
production?

Old October 20th 05, 02:08 AM
Floyd Rogers

"BE" > wrote
> VW Introduces the 69 MPG Diesel EcoRacer Concept
>
> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...roduces_t.html
>
> Now what is keeping all manufacturers from getting cars like this into
> production?

An inability to meet emissions standards, especially without low-sulfer
diesel.
Even then, they won't meet CA-style emissions standards without more
work.

FloydR

Old October 20th 05, 02:25 AM
BE

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> "BE" > wrote
>> VW Introduces the 69 MPG Diesel EcoRacer Concept
>>
>> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...roduces_t.html
>>
>> Now what is keeping all manufacturers from getting cars like this into
>> production?

> An inability to meet emissions standards, especially without low-sulfer
> diesel.
> Even then, they won't meet CA-style emissions standards without more
> work.
>
> FloydR

The new low sulphur diesel fuel will be available in US in 2006. Also a new
law, because of fuel disruption after Hurricane Katrina, has passed the US
House and is awaiting passage in Senate. This law will override many EPA
regs concerning all the regulation of both gasoline and diesel formulations.
From what I read, it would override California CARB regulations.

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/medi...129201202.html

The Act proposes a statutory framework that could increase refinery
capacity for a range of fuels, including diesel.

The GAS Act would reduce the number of fuel formulas refiners from 17 to
six, cutting down on the number of "boutique" operations, and makes the
assumption that there will be just two types of diesel on the market, US
News reports.