I didn't know the gun was loaded ...............

Old January 2nd 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Default I didn't know the gun was loaded ...............

Steve B wrote:

> How many people really know the responsibility and liability they hold in
> their hands when driving a car?
>
> Or using a gun?
>
> Not a lot, in my experience.
>
> I would actually say that people who own and handle guns have a better grasp
> of the parameters of their experience than people who drive cars. You can
> be an idiot in a car a lot more times than you can be an idiot with a gun
> before something gets messy.

Why do you think so?

People who drive do so on a daily basis and get an opportunity to gain
experience. People who own guns rarely get this kind of experience. Some
do, but spending an hour or so at the pistol range is the exception, not
the rule. Heck, our local police force minimum annual firearms
qualifications requirements will get them thrown out of the local
civilian range as a hazard.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Senior staff curmudgeon.
Old January 2nd 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in
:

> Steve B wrote:
>>
>> How many people really know the responsibility and liability they
>> hold in their hands when driving a car?
>>
>> Or using a gun?
>>
>> Not a lot, in my experience.
>>
>> I would actually say that people who own and handle guns have a
>> better grasp of the parameters of their experience than people who
>> drive cars.

Not in my view.
There's far too many "I thought the gun was unloaded" negligent
discharges,gunshot injuries and deaths.Then there's all the fools who think
it's OK to fire their guns into the air for the 4th Of July and New
Years,not considering where the bullets will end up.Some cities have a
MAJOR problem with that.(like Detroit)

Many people own guns but never use them,even to practice.Often,they are
unaware their gun has been stolen or "borrowed" by a young family member.

>> You can be an idiot in a car a lot more times than you
>> can be an idiot with a gun before something gets messy.

> Why do you think so?
>
> People who drive do so on a daily basis and get an opportunity to gain
> experience. People who own guns rarely get this kind of experience.
> Some do, but spending an hour or so at the pistol range is the
> exception, not the rule. Heck, our local police force minimum annual
> firearms qualifications requirements will get them thrown out of the
> local civilian range as a hazard.

Reminds me of that Orlando Sheriff giving a gun safety demonstration in a
school,and shooting himself during the class. With an "unloaded" gun...

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 3rd 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Jim Yanik wrote:

> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in
> :

[snip]

> > People who drive do so on a daily basis and get an opportunity to gain
> > experience. People who own guns rarely get this kind of experience.
> > Some do, but spending an hour or so at the pistol range is the
> > exception, not the rule. Heck, our local police force minimum annual
> > firearms qualifications requirements will get them thrown out of the
> > local civilian range as a hazard.
> >

> Reminds me of that Orlando Sheriff giving a gun safety demonstration in a
> school,and shooting himself during the class. With an "unloaded" gun...

I saw a bit about that on TV, but I thought it was an FBI agent. IIRC,
it was an African American guy, off some sort of undercover assignment
(or he was trying to look 'hip' for the school audience). He
demonstrated how to make a semi-auto pistol 'safe' by racking the slide
and then ejecting the clip. Doh!

--
Paul Hovnanian
SHIFT TO THE LEFT! SHIFT TO THE RIGHT!
Old January 4th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Paul Hovnanian P.E. > wrote:

>(or he was trying to look 'hip' for the school audience). He
>demonstrated how to make a semi-auto pistol 'safe' by racking the slide
>and then ejecting the clip. Doh!

One of his ancestors was the guy who prompted the admonition "Rape,
pillage and THEN burn!"

result in a fully-depreciated one.