GTR and Starforce

Old January 6th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR and Starforce

Sounds like your virtual drive is the problem. Ran into that with
Xpand Rally. Long correspondence with the Moscow office. They finally
admitted that virtual drives *could* be a problem.

Old January 6th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I'm fairly certain it ain't the drive.

Of course you are.

Old January 7th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Starforce blacklists all virtual drive and cloning software.

I've got Alcohol, Daemon Tools 4.0 and Nero 7 installed and all work fine as
do Starforce games. I guess it's possible that there may be a driver
conflict on some systems though.

Old January 7th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:39:58 +1000, "Steve Simpson" >
wrote:

>> Starforce blacklists all virtual drive and cloning software.

>I've got Alcohol, Daemon Tools 4.0 and Nero 7 installed and all work fine as
>do Starforce games. I guess it's possible that there may be a driver
>conflict on some systems though.

And since it does not seem possible to know whether a system will have
problems or not and Starforce comes to us from Moscow, loading a
Starforce game becomes a form of Russian Roulette.

Enjoy the buffet. I'll be here all week.
Old January 8th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Not directed at you Sean, just a general statement here...

So the Starforce people take it upon themselves to deny the use of a program
(that has substantial legal uses) because they don't like it.

It's our computers, not there's. They have no right to make that call.

Of course someone will chime in with the ever sickening "If you don't like
it, don't buy it" statement, but that's not the point here.

-Larry

Old January 8th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Not directed at you Sean, just a general statement here...
>
> So the Starforce people take it upon themselves to deny the use of a
> program (that has substantial legal uses) because they don't like it.
>
> It's our computers, not there's. They have no right to make that call.
>
> Of course someone will chime in with the ever sickening "If you don't like
> it, don't buy it" statement, but that's not the point here.

Starforce DOES NOT disable imaging, cloning or burning programs. Some of
these programs MAY in some rare instances (usually on poorly configured PCs)
have a driver conflict with the Starforce CD driver. In those instances,
it's usually a Windows/BIOS issue with the PC in question since Starforce
follows the 'rules' just like any other PC driver.

Old January 8th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The blacklists only prevents you from running a copy of the protected game
from an emulator. Pretty darn obvious really. Most Safedisc and SecuROM
games do that too. Alcohol 120% works fine with a Starforce game installed
but obviously you can't use it to emulate the game or backup the disc.

Same with debuggers, they only fail to work when the game itself is running.
Next...

Old January 8th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Here's proof for you that Starforce ****s with some systems.
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/sn...6139869&page=2
> It's also worth mentioning that this game uses Star Force copy
> protection, so it won't work with certain hardware configurations. On
> the first system we tried, Star Force wouldn't recognize the disc, but
> it worked just fine on another test system.

I just fail to see the proof. Starforce has had compatibility problems with
certain dvd/cd-drives, but that is just a problem that won't in any way ****
up your system - it just will not start the game. And these problems have
been largely corrected with updates to Starforce itself.

So, where's the proof again?

--
Mika Takala

Old January 9th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I installed an original, legitimate, retail version of Xpand Rally
and it ran beautifully. Once.

When I shut it down, I encountered horrible problems. Every mouse
click would open four or five programs and the system, once rebooted,
would only run in MS-DOS compatibility mode. Uninstalling Xpand Rally
did nothing. Uninstalling the Starforce drivers returned the system to
normal.

I had the Starforce cleaner utility on my drive and found that
installing a Starforce protected game removed it. Had to download it
again just to get rid of Starforce's drivers.

My crime? Having a copy of CD-Copier on my drive.

When I asked the folks at Starforce, who recommended that I upgrade
the version of Starforce on my system, if upgrading would solve the
problem, they made no guarantees. I decided then that I wanted nothing
more to do with any Starforce protected titles.

Old January 9th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Having to buy a new DVD drive means it has ****ed up your previously
> perfectly good working PC. See my other post for more evidence.

You don't HAVE to. In the extremely unlikely event that Starforce is
incompatible with your drive (just as likely as an incompatibility with
Safedisc or SecuROM) you can call up the folk at customer support and get an
activation key. There was no evidence in your previous post, just people
moaning about not being able to get backups to work.