Oil warning system on Honda Accord - 2.2 Diesel

Old December 7th 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Oil warning system on Honda Accord - 2.2 Diesel

Can anyone please advise if there is a oil warning light that comes on to
warn the driver if the oil level is low on a Honda Accord 2.2 Diesel?
If there is one at what point would it come on and how long would you have
before the engine is damaged?

Old December 7th 05, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I would be very surprised if there was no oil warning light.
Diesels need engine oil lubrication as much as gasoline
engines.

As to how long the car has before damage: That probably
depends on the cause.

If the car was pulled over and stopped within 30 seconds, it
may be fine. (I had a catastrophic loss of oil once, after
Sears did an oil change, messed up, and didn't install the
new filter properly. Five minutes down the highway, the
warning light comes on. I pulled over immediately. Saw a
mess of oil on the ground. Called Sears and had it towed.
The engine was fine. The Service Manager thanked God.

If you heard odd noises coming from the engine before the
car was stopped, then the engine might be toast.

Can you describe what happened?

"aft" > wrote

Old December 7th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I was driving on the motorway, 50 mph, and suddenly there was a noise
coming from the engine. Pulled over right away and called a recovery
company to look at the car. At no time did a light come on before or
after the noise and as you have guessed the engines toast.

Old December 7th 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"aft" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I was driving on the motorway, 50 mph, and suddenly there was a noise
> coming from the engine. Pulled over right away and called a recovery
> company to look at the car. At no time did a light come on before or
> after the noise and as you have guessed the engines toast.

Was it an oil problem? You don't specifically say so. Same can be said for
losing ones timing belt. Noise followed by a trashed engine.

Old December 7th 05, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

The report from the dealership stated oil depravation as the cause.

Old December 7th 05, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Ask them how they knew it was oil deprivation.

Could be the warning light failed. Could be a lot of things.

Post the year of Honda. If it's 95 or earlier, autozone.com
may have a free online manual that will help with info on
the warning light. Though I'm not optimistic there's
anything there to explain this.

Sorry for your loss.

"aft" > wrote

Old December 7th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

aft wrote:
> The report from the dealership stated oil depravation as the cause.

so, are you going to check the oil with that cunningly installed device
called a "dipstick" more regularly in future?
Old December 7th 05, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Once a week should be adequate don't you think!

Old December 7th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

aft wrote:
> Once a week should be adequate don't you think!

New Honda's in the UK have a service interval of about 10,000. The oil
level will need to be topped up from time to time.
I just bought a Jazz (aka FIT) and the service interval is 12,000 miles
or 12 months !!!

Do not wait for warning lamps, check & top up.
Old December 7th 05, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Honda Jazz Info [was Oil warning system on Honda Accord - 2.2 Diesel]

"Bozo" > wrote
re oil changes
> I just bought a Jazz (aka FIT) and the service interval is

12,000 miles
> or 12 months !!!

Does the manual specify synthetic oil?

2005 Honda Accord Coupe miller_m Honda 0 October 11th 05 09:54 AM
accord VS camry (more like honda vs toyota) [email protected] Honda 1 October 10th 05 10:02 PM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
Honda Accord 97 UK spec - Leather steering wheel cover Steve Bigelow Honda 3 February 12th 05 04:41 AM
Remarks by Takeo Fukui - 2005 NAIAS Auto Show Chopface Honda 7 January 17th 05 11:10 PM