NR2003 family of mods screw up my desktop on exit

Old November 18th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default NR2003 family of mods screw up my desktop on exit

>On the other hand, from the sound of it, your problem might as well be a
>virus or something. Now, isn't one of the great things about W98 that you
>can reinstall the OS and keep all your settings? :-)

The problem has persisted thru a windows re-install so I'm dissinclined
to think virus.

I can't remember what video drivers I had before the re-install, but no
responsible company can release 61 releases of drivers and make any
claim as to their being stable so I'm inclined to agree with your
premise.

Cheers

Old November 18th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Mcewena,

I wont try and convert yo to winxp, but I can tell you there is nothing
stopping you if you some day make the move. Yeah XP is a hog compared, and
removed support (mostly) for the old "gameport" joystic & wheels but other
than that, I like XP better even though I thought I wouldnt. main thing is
some errant applications dont bring the whole system down anymore like it
used to in 98. But I agree 98 is "lighter" and with same hardware on most
apps, seems faster by just a little to some, but adding memory usually
equalizes XP to 98 standards. MMMMmmmmm, homer no work well memorey
without...

Oh if you have a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel, that is plugged into the
gameport instead of USB, you will NOT want XP ever, lol.
mcewena enlightened us with:

Old November 18th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

mcewena wrote in
oups.com:

>>On the other hand, from the sound of it, your problem might as
>>well be a virus or something. Now, isn't one of the great things
>>about W98 that you can reinstall the OS and keep all your
>>settings? :-)

> The problem has persisted thru a windows re-install so I'm
> dissinclined to think virus.
>
> I can't remember what video drivers I had before the re-install,
> but no responsible company can release 61 releases of drivers
> and make any claim as to their being stable so I'm inclined to
> agree with your premise.
>
> Cheers

Well, considering that both nVidea and ATI have been blitzing us
with revised/updated and new drivers on a regular basis for years
now, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a video card from a
"responsible" company.

I don't like it either, but it's a competitive world out there,
and gamers keep demanding more and more fromtheir systems.
Graphics is probably the most "visible" feature (pardon the pun)
and it gets a lot of attention from prospecyive buyers. Even if
there is no significant (or even "real") improvement, companies
have to *appear* to be improving & supporting their products.
Hence the rash of driver releases.

I'd like it if there was a new videa card released on an annual
basis, and an initial and then one later update driver for that
card. (I might be able to afford to keep up then. <grin>)

--
Darryl
Old November 18th 05, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>I wont try and convert yo to winxp, but I can tell you there is nothing
>stopping you if you some day make the move.

No doubt it's a better hammer, I use it everyday at work.

But if my lap times won't be reduced and it's apparently not causing
this problem why complicate my life by introducing another factor?

Old November 18th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I've never owned an ATI card so I can't comment directly but I get the
feeling they don't release new drivers as often as nvidia, maybe they
make the code in their drivers more generic and have the firmware in
the card sort it out.

I think nvidia has released more versions of drivers then they've ever
released cards. and it appears from the instability it seems to cause
many people they do it too quickly for their quality control department
to cope with.

Old November 18th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Oh and spending money to do so...

Old November 18th 05, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Hammers and nails along with little boys and Win98... No wonder it doesnt
work Pour some coffee on it while your at it

One thing I loved about Windows 98 was it's ability to keep my phone ringing
and the cash flowing. This case is a perfect example. That cursed XP cost
me some cash over the years Believe me the future of tech support won't
be at the OS level as it's been. Not if you plan on making a living doing
it (unless of course youre from India).

If youre saying it's a vid driver issue then IT IS OS related.... Since the
last driver release for Win98 (what, 3 years or so ago?) how many MS DirectX
updates has there been? Can you honestly tell me that MS worried about
Win98 during development of DX9? The OS, the video driver and DX all are
intertwined closely. You can always go back to DX7 (with a reinstall) but
is that really an option???

That is my point all along, for a sawbuck and a couple hours you WOULD FIX
it and wouldnt have to spend your time justifying w98 on the usenet with all
the shoulda woulda coulda's

It was just a suggestion. I meant it in fun but this suggestion has a basis
in reality.

Mitch

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>That is my point all along, for a sawbuck and a couple hours you WOULD FIX it

Likely true, but if others have found the secret combination that
allows things to work then I should be able to as well.

If it means spending money I'd perfer to update the video card so at
least I'll see some tangible ontrack graphics improvement for my money.

Spending money on an operating system is like spending money on a
refridgerator, sure you'd like the newer model with with ice maker and
the feezer portion on the bottom that uses 2% less electricity but as
long as the old one keeps the beer cold the money is better spent on
something sexy like a widescreen TV.

Old November 18th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thats the logic I don't follow Art. What good is all that Graphics hardware
if youre running it using DX7/8 on Win98 with NR2003?

Sometimes you need the cart AND the horse You can get by without a horse
and cart though, just have more kids and give each a bucket ) My win98
quote of the week, hehe.

Mitch

oups.com...

Old November 19th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Win98 runs DX9 (b or c) and NR and my video board were designed when 98
was state of the art, yes it's antiqated now but no more so then the
software I'm using it for.