88 toyota pickup 22re question

Old August 28th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

Default 88 toyota pickup 22re question

what is the thermoswitch that controls the automatic transmission
overdrive supposed to look like and where is it located?

i found the part number online - 89428-20050, and ordered one, but the
one that arrived is different to what i think is the thermoswitch on the
motor. mine has a round connector, the one that i was sent has a square.

the reason i suspect it's the wrong one is that the part package, while
correctly labeled, had been opened, and the part inside has obviously
been handled a lot - i think someone substituted the wrong part into the
right package, and it's been going backwards and forwards in toyotas
parts returns system ever since.

anyway, i want to be sure whether i'm looking at the right component.
it's screwed into the block slightly above and rearwards of the oil
filter. correct?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old August 28th 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/28/2011 10:53 AM, Hachiroku wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 08:41:48 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> what is the thermoswitch that controls the automatic transmission
>> overdrive supposed to look like and where is it located?
>>
>> i found the part number online - 89428-20050, and ordered one, but the
>> one that arrived is different to what i think is the thermoswitch on the
>> motor. mine has a round connector, the one that i was sent has a square.
>>
>> the reason i suspect it's the wrong one is that the part package, while
>> correctly labeled, had been opened, and the part inside has obviously
>> been handled a lot - i think someone substituted the wrong part into the
>> right package, and it's been going backwards and forwards in toyotas
>> parts returns system ever since.
>>
>> anyway, i want to be sure whether i'm looking at the right component.
>> it's screwed into the block slightly above and rearwards of the oil
>> filter. correct?

> Hmmm...it's been a while since I hadd a 22R but I think that's the knock
> sensor!

ok!!! guess i need to get the thing up on the lift 'cos i sure can't
see anything else from on top.

> On my Supra, the sensor for the AT Temp is in a housing on the front of
> the engine, below the guage sensor and the t-stat.

ok, definitely need to go in from under. i don't recall anything there
from when i did the head, but i'll check again.

> Don't know if it's the
> same on the 22R. Ask in toyota, and maybe Ray will answer. He knows this
> engine fairly well.
>
> How's the truck running?

apart from the intermittent overdrive, it's running like a top. the low
idle has gone away now i've done the head gasket, i'm getting some oil
leakage from the rear seal, so i'll use some "high mileage" oil in it on
the next change to dose it with seal conditioners and put off the evil
hour when i have to take the motor out to change it.

the head gasket was a goat **** of a job. two of the head bolts had
been subject to coolant leak over a protracted period, and since the
cheap-ass who'd owned it before wouldn't pay for "anti-freeze" with
corrosion inhibitors, they were rusted to less than half their original
width! not only did that make them hard to get out, it had also
"exploded" the head. since rust takes up more volume than metal, the
increased size of the bolt/rust mix had started to mushroom the head
hole. it was this that blew the gasket - it was pressing the head up
from the deck! ended up chiseling the two mushroomed regions off [since
i didn't want to get the head skimmed], using a starrett straight edge
for reference, and used a m.l.s. gasket on re-fit. it's been fine so
far. we'll see how long that lasts...

last thing is the transmission output is a little sloppy. not sure if
it's the prop shaft socket or the transmission output pinion since i've
not dissected, but it's silent, and not leaking much oil, so i'll leave
it for the time being.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old August 28th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.toyota
hachiroku

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 08:41:48 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> what is the thermoswitch that controls the automatic transmission
> overdrive supposed to look like and where is it located?
>
> i found the part number online - 89428-20050, and ordered one, but the
> one that arrived is different to what i think is the thermoswitch on the
> motor. mine has a round connector, the one that i was sent has a square.
>
> the reason i suspect it's the wrong one is that the part package, while
> correctly labeled, had been opened, and the part inside has obviously
> been handled a lot - i think someone substituted the wrong part into the
> right package, and it's been going backwards and forwards in toyotas
> parts returns system ever since.
>
> anyway, i want to be sure whether i'm looking at the right component.
> it's screwed into the block slightly above and rearwards of the oil
> filter. correct?

Hmmm...it's been a while since I hadd a 22R but I think that's the knock
sensor!

On my Supra, the sensor for the AT Temp is in a housing on the front of
the engine, below the guage sensor and the t-stat. Don't know if it's the

Old August 29th 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.toyota
hachiroku

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:12:27 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> [...]

> cheap-ass who'd owned it before wouldn't pay for "anti-freeze" with
> corrosion inhibitors, they were rusted to less than half their original
> width! not only did that make them hard to get out, it had also
> "exploded" the head. since rust takes up more volume than metal, the
> increased size of the bolt/rust mix had started to mushroom the head
> hole. it was this that blew the gasket - it was pressing the head up
> from the deck! ended up chiseling the two mushroomed regions off [since
> i didn't want to get the head skimmed], using a starrett straight edge
> for reference, and used a m.l.s. gasket on re-fit. it's been fine so
> far. we'll see how long that lasts...
>
> last thing is the transmission output is a little sloppy. not sure if
> it's the prop shaft socket or the transmission output pinion since i've
> not dissected, but it's silent, and not leaking much oil, so i'll leave

Not bad. It is an old truck, and I'm still jealous (they were nice
trucks...except for the rust problem up here...)

If you can get a hold of the repair manual, you can "trick" the OD by
putting a switch across the leads going into the computer. Note, however,
if it's a lockup torque converter type, it won't UNLOCK when you need to
coast! That means you need to keep your foot on the gas!

But, if you're like me, you do anyway!

Old August 29th 11, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/28/2011 07:14 PM, Hachiroku wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:12:27 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> Hmmm...it's been a while since I hadd a 22R but I think that's the knock
>>> sensor!

>> ok!!! guess i need to get the thing up on the lift 'cos i sure can't
>> see anything else from on top.
>>

>>> On my Supra, the sensor for the AT Temp is in a housing on the front of
>>> the engine, below the guage sensor and the t-stat.

>> ok, definitely need to go in from under. i don't recall anything there
>> from when i did the head, but i'll check again.
>>

>>> Don't know if it's the
>>> same on the 22R. Ask in toyota, and maybe Ray will answer. He knows this
>>> engine fairly well.
>>>
>>> How's the truck running?

>> apart from the intermittent overdrive, it's running like a top. the low
>> idle has gone away now i've done the head gasket, i'm getting some oil
>> leakage from the rear seal, so i'll use some "high mileage" oil in it on
>> the next change to dose it with seal conditioners and put off the evil
>> hour when i have to take the motor out to change it.
>>
>> the head gasket was a goat **** of a job. two of the head bolts had
>> been subject to coolant leak over a protracted period, and since the
>> cheap-ass who'd owned it before wouldn't pay for "anti-freeze" with
>> corrosion inhibitors, they were rusted to less than half their original
>> width! not only did that make them hard to get out, it had also
>> "exploded" the head. since rust takes up more volume than metal, the
>> increased size of the bolt/rust mix had started to mushroom the head
>> hole. it was this that blew the gasket - it was pressing the head up
>> from the deck! ended up chiseling the two mushroomed regions off [since
>> i didn't want to get the head skimmed], using a starrett straight edge
>> for reference, and used a m.l.s. gasket on re-fit. it's been fine so
>> far. we'll see how long that lasts...
>>
>> last thing is the transmission output is a little sloppy. not sure if
>> it's the prop shaft socket or the transmission output pinion since i've
>> not dissected, but it's silent, and not leaking much oil, so i'll leave
>> it for the time being.

> Not bad. It is an old truck, and I'm still jealous (they were nice
> trucks...except for the rust problem up here...)
>
> If you can get a hold of the repair manual, you can "trick" the OD by
> putting a switch across the leads going into the computer. Note, however,
> if it's a lockup torque converter type, it won't UNLOCK when you need to
> coast! That means you need to keep your foot on the gas!
>
> But, if you're like me, you do anyway!

i found an online toyota manual, but it's a scan of the paper version
and thus not searchable. i've looked through most of the 1000+ pages,
and the circuit diagram for the overdrive doesn't show the
thermoswitch!!! thanks toyota. i found reference to it in the main
schematic, and in various blog posts, and using that info, i tracked
down the part number, but still nothing showing the location of this
thermoswitch. i've i.d'd the coolant temp sensors for the ecu and the
gauge, and the cold start injector timer, and thanks to you, the knock
sensor, but nothing else that vaguely looks like the part i've been
sent. really don't want to have to take the manifold off to see in
there again.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old August 31st 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/28/2011 07:14 PM, Hachiroku wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:12:27 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> Hmmm...it's been a while since I hadd a 22R but I think that's the knock
>>> sensor!

>> ok!!! guess i need to get the thing up on the lift 'cos i sure can't
>> see anything else from on top.
>>

>>> On my Supra, the sensor for the AT Temp is in a housing on the front of
>>> the engine, below the guage sensor and the t-stat.

>> ok, definitely need to go in from under. i don't recall anything there
>> from when i did the head, but i'll check again.
>>

>>> Don't know if it's the
>>> same on the 22R. Ask in toyota, and maybe Ray will answer. He knows this
>>> engine fairly well.
>>>
>>> How's the truck running?

>> apart from the intermittent overdrive, it's running like a top. the low
>> idle has gone away now i've done the head gasket, i'm getting some oil
>> leakage from the rear seal, so i'll use some "high mileage" oil in it on
>> the next change to dose it with seal conditioners and put off the evil
>> hour when i have to take the motor out to change it.
>>
>> the head gasket was a goat **** of a job. two of the head bolts had
>> been subject to coolant leak over a protracted period, and since the
>> cheap-ass who'd owned it before wouldn't pay for "anti-freeze" with
>> corrosion inhibitors, they were rusted to less than half their original
>> width! not only did that make them hard to get out, it had also
>> "exploded" the head. since rust takes up more volume than metal, the
>> increased size of the bolt/rust mix had started to mushroom the head
>> hole. it was this that blew the gasket - it was pressing the head up
>> from the deck! ended up chiseling the two mushroomed regions off [since
>> i didn't want to get the head skimmed], using a starrett straight edge
>> for reference, and used a m.l.s. gasket on re-fit. it's been fine so
>> far. we'll see how long that lasts...
>>
>> last thing is the transmission output is a little sloppy. not sure if
>> it's the prop shaft socket or the transmission output pinion since i've
>> not dissected, but it's silent, and not leaking much oil, so i'll leave
>> it for the time being.

> Not bad. It is an old truck, and I'm still jealous (they were nice
> trucks...except for the rust problem up here...)
>
> If you can get a hold of the repair manual, you can "trick" the OD by
> putting a switch across the leads going into the computer. Note, however,
> if it's a lockup torque converter type, it won't UNLOCK when you need to
> coast! That means you need to keep your foot on the gas!
>
> But, if you're like me, you do anyway!

is this what i'm looking for?

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6098645784>

can't see how it would unscrew though. and it looks like it's something
to do with the idle circuit.

so far, identified are

1. coolant temp sensor - gauge
2. coolant temp sensor - ecu
3. coolant temp switch - cold start timer
4. oil pressure switch
5. knock sensor

there's nothing on my motor that looks like the thing i've been sent.

<http://www.auto-parts-online.com/products/80-81-coolant-temperature-sensor-toyota-corona-tx-70.html>

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 1st 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:16:19 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 08/28/2011 07:14 PM, Hachiroku wrote:

>>> ok!!! guess i need to get the thing up on the lift 'cos i sure can't
>>> see anything else from on top.

>>> ok, definitely need to go in from under. i don't recall anything
>>> there from when i did the head, but i'll check again.

>>> apart from the intermittent overdrive, it's running like a top. the
>>> low idle has gone away now i've done the head gasket, i'm getting
>>> some oil leakage from the rear seal, so i'll use some "high mileage"
>>> oil in it on the next change to dose it with seal conditioners and put
>>> off the evil hour when i have to take the motor out to change it.
>>>
>>> the head gasket was a goat **** of a job. two of the head bolts had
>>> been subject to coolant leak over a protracted period, and since the
>>> cheap-ass who'd owned it before wouldn't pay for "anti-freeze" with
>>> corrosion inhibitors, they were rusted to less than half their
>>> original width! not only did that make them hard to get out, it had
>>> also "exploded" the head. since rust takes up more volume than metal,
>>> the increased size of the bolt/rust mix had started to mushroom the
>>> head hole. it was this that blew the gasket - it was pressing the
>>> head up from the deck! ended up chiseling the two mushroomed regions
>>> off [since i didn't want to get the head skimmed], using a starrett
>>> straight edge for reference, and used a m.l.s. gasket on re-fit. it's
>>> been fine so far. we'll see how long that lasts...
>>>
>>> last thing is the transmission output is a little sloppy. not sure if
>>> it's the prop shaft socket or the transmission output pinion since
>>> i've not dissected, but it's silent, and not leaking much oil, so i'll
>>> leave it for the time being.

>> Not bad. It is an old truck, and I'm still jealous (they were nice
>> trucks...except for the rust problem up here...)
>>
>> If you can get a hold of the repair manual, you can "trick" the OD by
>> putting a switch across the leads going into the computer. Note,
>> however, if it's a lockup torque converter type, it won't UNLOCK when
>> you need to coast! That means you need to keep your foot on the gas!
>>
>> But, if you're like me, you do anyway!
>>

> is this what i'm looking for?
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6098645784>
>
> can't see how it would unscrew though. and it looks like it's something
> to do with the idle circuit.
>
> so far, identified are
>
> 1. coolant temp sensor - gauge
> 2. coolant temp sensor - ecu
> 3. coolant temp switch - cold start timer 4. oil pressure switch
> 5. knock sensor
>
> there's nothing on my motor that looks like the thing i've been sent.
>
> <http://www.auto-parts-online.com/products/80-81-coolant-temperature-sensor-toyota-corona-tx-70.html>

That looks like it. This is from a '93...

<http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?s=28a4184bf70976bfa99e394b9628da31&p= 2447318&postcount=1>

Also, this:

Yes, I meant coolant temp sensor. Standing in front of your 22RE, there
are two sensors side by side on the left hand side of the engine, in the
front...they should be just in front of the thermostat housing. The sensor
on the left is the 'start injection time switch', and the one beside it is
the 'coolant temp sensor'. Do you need the specs for testing them? I can
dig 'em out if you need 'em, but you'll need a multi-meter to check them.

Old September 2nd 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/31/2011 05:21 PM, hachiroku wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:16:19 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> Not bad. It is an old truck, and I'm still jealous (they were nice
>>> trucks...except for the rust problem up here...)
>>>
>>> If you can get a hold of the repair manual, you can "trick" the OD by
>>> putting a switch across the leads going into the computer. Note,
>>> however, if it's a lockup torque converter type, it won't UNLOCK when
>>> you need to coast! That means you need to keep your foot on the gas!
>>>
>>> But, if you're like me, you do anyway!
>>>

>> is this what i'm looking for?
>>
>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6098645784>
>>
>> can't see how it would unscrew though. and it looks like it's something
>> to do with the idle circuit.
>>
>> so far, identified are
>>
>> 1. coolant temp sensor - gauge
>> 2. coolant temp sensor - ecu
>> 3. coolant temp switch - cold start timer 4. oil pressure switch
>> 5. knock sensor
>>
>> there's nothing on my motor that looks like the thing i've been sent.
>>
>> <http://www.auto-parts-online.com/products/80-81-coolant-temperature-sensor-toyota-corona-tx-70.html>

> That looks like it. This is from a '93...
>
> <http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?s=28a4184bf70976bfa99e394b9628da31&p= 2447318&postcount=1>
>
> Also, this:
>
> Yes, I meant coolant temp sensor. Standing in front of your 22RE, there
> are two sensors side by side on the left hand side of the engine, in the
> front...they should be just in front of the thermostat housing. The sensor
> on the left is the 'start injection time switch', and the one beside it is
> the 'coolant temp sensor'. Do you need the specs for testing them? I can
> dig 'em out if you need 'em, but you'll need a multi-meter to check them.

yeah, i have that one figured out - it's #2 on my list. it's a
thermistor that the ecu uses for coolant temp measurement. it works fine.

but there's supposed to be another, called "SWITCH, TEMPERATURE; SWITCH,
TEMPERATURE DETECT, NO.2". it's a switch that remains open below 50C,
then closes when hot. it's supposed to signal the ecu as part of the
emissions/overdrive control.

<http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=348529&ukey_produc t=2411848>

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6104875638>

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 4th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:45:05 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>> Yes, I meant coolant temp sensor. Standing in front of your 22RE, there
>> are two sensors side by side on the left hand side of the engine, in the
>> front...they should be just in front of the thermostat housing. The sensor
>> on the left is the 'start injection time switch', and the one beside it is
>> the 'coolant temp sensor'. Do you need the specs for testing them? I can
>> dig 'em out if you need 'em, but you'll need a multi-meter to check them.

> yeah, i have that one figured out - it's #2 on my list. it's a
> thermistor that the ecu uses for coolant temp measurement. it works fine.
>
> but there's supposed to be another, called "SWITCH, TEMPERATURE; SWITCH,
> TEMPERATURE DETECT, NO.2". it's a switch that remains open below 50C,
> then closes when hot. it's supposed to signal the ecu as part of the
> emissions/overdrive control.
>
> <http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=348529&ukey_produc t=2411848>
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6104875638>

Have you managed to figure this out yet? Unfortunately my 22R experience
is limited, and I had W59 transmissions. No AT sensor required.

Looking over the diagrams, you could just wire a switch in there...

When the engine gets up to temp, flip the switch.

Old September 5th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/04/2011 11:35 AM, hachiroku wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:45:05 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>>> Yes, I meant coolant temp sensor. Standing in front of your 22RE, there
>>> are two sensors side by side on the left hand side of the engine, in the
>>> front...they should be just in front of the thermostat housing. The sensor
>>> on the left is the 'start injection time switch', and the one beside it is
>>> the 'coolant temp sensor'. Do you need the specs for testing them? I can
>>> dig 'em out if you need 'em, but you'll need a multi-meter to check them.

>> yeah, i have that one figured out - it's #2 on my list. it's a
>> thermistor that the ecu uses for coolant temp measurement. it works fine.
>>
>> but there's supposed to be another, called "SWITCH, TEMPERATURE; SWITCH,
>> TEMPERATURE DETECT, NO.2". it's a switch that remains open below 50C,
>> then closes when hot. it's supposed to signal the ecu as part of the
>> emissions/overdrive control.
>>
>> <http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=348529&ukey_produc t=2411848>
>>
>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6104875638>

> Have you managed to figure this out yet?

not yet. still going backwards and forwards on what 89428-20050 is
supposed to look like.

> Unfortunately my 22R experience
> is limited, and I had W59 transmissions. No AT sensor required.
>
> Looking over the diagrams, you could just wire a switch in there...
>
> When the engine gets up to temp, flip the switch.

yeah, i've been thinking about that. i'd rather have it working
properly though. if i do anything invasive, it'll be to upgrade the
whole retarded management system. the 88's batch injection is /really/
primitive. [i don't get batch injection - may as well just do throttle
body.]

and toyota's "documentation" SUCKS.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum