Accord coupe - washer fluid container

Old January 22nd 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default Accord coupe - washer fluid container

Pszemol wrote:
> "Dave L" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> About the O.P. stating it is a bad design the Accord windshield washer
>> reservoir does not fit a gallon of washer fluid.... Isn't this the
>> same arguement as, why doesn't an engine use a round quart of oil?
>> Why would it be 4.5 quarts, 5.2 quarts, etc. Is it a bad engine
>> design? Nah. We just need to redefine the volume of a U.S. gallon
>> and a U.S. quart...

> Engine does not consume oil and does not require oil replenishment
> from the end user/driver on a regular basis. At least good engine,
> I am not talking about really old or broken ones here loosing oil.
>
> Oil change, however easy for the end user/driver, is designed
> to be done at the shop by the proffessional. And a pro is seldom
> using a retail quart bottles. They dispense oil from a big drum.
>
> So it does not really matter for an ordinary driver how much oil
> fits his/her car engine. It is not his/her concern...
>

> Opposite is true for the windshield washer fluid. It is frequent
> maintenance item which is mostly done by the end user who does not
> buy washer fluid in shop quantities like 50 gallon drums...
>
> It is sold in retail in one gallon standard containers and
> it should fit completelly without lefover in the reservoir.

Here is the key to this entire thread, "should". You're insisting the
universe should be other that it is, which is known as "musterbating" by
Al Ellis (RIP) and his followers.

This is not to say Honda couldn't or wouldn't change things in
subsequent models - we know they do, but an existing model is a fait
accompli.
Old January 22nd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Matt Ion wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> If it is, nearly ever auto manufacturer for the past 80 years or so
>>> (or at least since the windshield-washer was invented) is guilty of
>>> it. It's certainly not unique to the '04 Accord, or any Accord, or
>>> any Honda, or any Japanese car, for that matter.
>>>
>>> I always thought it would be a good idea if, instead of putting a
>>> reservoir in the car, the manufacturers just included a "pocket"
>>> where you could drop the bottle itself in, and screw on a cap with
>>> integral pump and pickup hose(s).

>> And what's the story with round bologna and square bread? I smell a
>> class action law suit.

> And why do hot-dog buns come in bags of 12, but hot dogs in packages of
> 8??? It's crazy, I tell ya!

Damn straight! It's all the fault of TPTB keeping normal citizens like
us off balance so they can keep control and bleed us dry. i.e., part of
the shock doctrine.

In the hot dog example, you have to buy 3 packages of franks and 2
packages of buns to come out even. It's a conspiracy at the highest
level, I tell you!
Old January 22nd 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote
>
>> "Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> "Pszemol" > wrote

>>> Here's a view on a V6 Accord--the bottle with the light blue cap:
>>>
>>> http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/u/x/08Accord_v6engine.jpg
>>>

>> You can't see the washer bottle in that pic. Just the filler neck.
>>
>> Besides, the '08 is a different generation from Pzsemol's '07.
>>

>> --
>> Tegger

> True, my man.
>
> Was just a general pic to get the idea how cramped it may be for th
> larger bottle...

Here's my Canadian one-gallon bottle.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...uid_bottle.jpg
Bumper has been removed.

It's tighter than tight in there with the bumper on.

> I admit I don't have a clue especially since my car is
> in a parking lot a few buildings away from me. Its 27 degrees and I
> shall not be venturing outside to check a windshield wiper fluid
> reservoir this evening, if you know what I mean.

It's 5 degrees right now as I type. Not fun out there.

The most I've done in the last two months is drill some holes in the
wife's right-front signal light to let out the moisture that's suddenly
been accumulating in it. This is a Toyota by the way...

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 22nd 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Tony Harding > wrote in
:

> Matt Ion wrote:

>> And why do hot-dog buns come in bags of 12, but hot dogs in packages
>> of 8??? It's crazy, I tell ya!

> Damn straight! It's all the fault of TPTB keeping normal citizens like
> us off balance so they can keep control and bleed us dry. i.e., part
> of the shock doctrine.
>
> In the hot dog example, you have to buy 3 packages of franks and 2
> packages of buns to come out even. It's a conspiracy at the highest
> level, I tell you!

It's the propane sellers who are at the heart of this particular
conspiracy. We all know it.

Old January 22nd 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message ...
> "Pszemol" > wrote
>
>> Anybody knows where is the switch to control heat to the mirrors?

> You can see it here on the right of the pictu
>
> http://automobiles.honda.com/images/...ry/gal_lg4.jpg
>
> Above AC button, to the left of "Mode" button, on this model.

Thanks, but I was wondering about 2004 coupe without navi.
Did they have heater mirrors in Canada back in 2004?
Old January 22nd 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
>>> Actually, washer bottle is usually located outside of the
>>> engine compartment, between passenger fron wheel plastic skirt
>>> and the front bumper. Very, very low, almost in the bumper.

>> Here's a view on a V6 Accord--the bottle with the light blue cap:
>>
>> http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/u/x/08Accord_v6engine.jpg

> You can't see the washer bottle in that pic. Just the filler neck.
>
> Besides, the '08 is a different generation from Pzsemol's '07.

Mine is '04 coupe, unfortunatelly :-)

And yes, what is on the picture is a filler neck...
The bottle is down behind the front bumper corner.
Old January 22nd 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
>> Maybe, but I am tempted to find a Canadian version reservoir
>> with a sending unit (float switch) and fit it to my US Accord.
>> Are you located in Canada?

> Yep. Right smack in the middle of the worst of the Rust Belt.

Cool to know you are from there...
So far I have only good contacts with Canadians.
Very friendly people! I had a pleasure to work with
nice guys and gals in Newfundland, on business last year...
Had a great time, hardly feeling like at work - good hospitality.
They got me screech in, of course ;-)

>> Could you point me to some good
>> online store where I could find the parts I need or at least
>> look up the part numbers for Canadian version?

> There isn't any. Believe me, I've checked.

I was surprised myself since I was sure my "googling" skills
are above average but could not find anything interesting...
Couple different stores seem to use the same underlaying
search engine, same parts available and no washer bottles :-)
How is it possible you guys don't have a decent parts store?
Do you buy everything across the fence? ;-)

> I'd have to phone a Canadian Honda dealer (which I can do if you wish).

Well, I could call Honda in St. John's myself - it is possible
I will be back on business trip next month up there... this
way I could order it ahead of time and pick it up myself.
I hope they would not give me hard time if I put it in my suitcase :-)
But... it could be expensive at the dealership... It would be
much better to do experiment like this with a cheaper part from
the junkyard, of course.

> Or I could check the wreckers. Accords are a dime a dozen in the
> wreckers up here (although '03-'07 might be a bit too new and hard to
> find just yet). A washer bottle and level switch can't be more than ten
> bucks.

I have checked one junkyard in my area - the kind you can go
to the yard and remove the part yourself with your own tools...

My plan was to find seventh generation accord and try to play
with the skirt, bumper and the washer bottle to see how much free
room is there behind the bumper. It would be safer to play with
the junk car - this way I would be ready for the job on my car :-)
This way I could do disassembly quickly without worrying to put
everything back in order, without a scratch :-)
Unfortunatelly this car is way too new for yunkyards...
The newest car I could find on the "foreign" lot was
2000 daewoo lanos... :-) Accords only from 92-97... nothing newer.
All 4 doors. Not even a single coupe, but I figure 4dr and 2dr have
the same bottle... don't you think?

> If you're serious, I can search some wreckers for '03-'07 washer bottles
> for you. You'd have to pay the shipping (just like eBay). Whether it
> would fit behind the US bumper rebar is another story. US bumper rebars
> are different from Canadian ones (2.5mph vs 5 mph) and may even be a
> different shape.
>
> Dom's Auto Parts in Courtice Ont. tends to have a a good selection of
> newer cars. I could check there first. They're big so they tend to get
> first pick from the insurance writeoffs.

Appreciate the offer... it would be great if you find one.

I am very serious about it, but before I would bother you with such
a search I want to wait for the weather to get little warmer and try to
see if there is some room there behind the bumper. If I'd not find the
7th gen accord on junkyard I will remove wheel skirt from mine to see.

Let's keep in touch...
Thanks!
Old January 22nd 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
> Here's my Canadian one-gallon bottle.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...uid_bottle.jpg
> Bumper has been removed.
>
> It's tighter than tight in there with the bumper on.

This is what I saw on the junkyard here in Chicagoland...
Do not remember which year I saw exposed like this, but
it had bumber taken out and I was bending the wheel
compartment skirt down to take a look at the bottle...
Did not see any float switch, so it was obviously US version.

What is interesting on your picture - I sew two gizmos like
pumps there... Do you have headlight sprinkler nozzles or
back window wiper nozzle? My accord coupe has only one pump
as far as I know...
Old January 22nd 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> "Dave L" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>> So it does not really matter for an ordinary driver how much oil
>>> fits his/her car engine. It is not his/her concern...

>> Agreed!
>>
>>> Opposite is true for the windshield washer fluid. It is frequent
>>> maintenance item which is mostly done by the end user who does not
>>> buy washer fluid in shop quantities like 50 gallon drums...

>> Many people I know just wait until their oil change, and they have it
>> topped off there as part of the service. Unless you're in an area to
>> frequently need to use the washer fluid...

> Any time you have snow you are pretty much out of luck to
> survive 3000 or 5000 miles on one fill of the washer fluid.
> I am in Chicago so every winter there is a problem with
> snow+salt on the road. Washer fluid is used up pretty quickly.

I can see that. Unfortunately we haven't had enough snow here in Maryland
lately :-(
If I find myself using the washer fluid more, I'll pull out the washer fluid
(which is no longer the full bottle) and top it off.

>>> It is sold in retail in one gallon standard containers and
>>> it should fit completelly without lefover in the reservoir.

>> So a person needs to run the fluid dry before filling it up? Not a good
>> move! I don't think the average person wants to pull over the side of
>> the road when they run out of fluid, and happen to have a gallon to
>> exactly top it off.

> Well, I do not have checking washer fluid level in my routine.
> So yes, I fill up the reservoir when it is empty...
> Do not pull on the side of the road - just drive to the next
> gas station and buy the bottle, pour it and dispose...
> Yes, I travel mostly in the city-suburb area so I do not
> risk being in the middle of nowhere with no fluid...

Nah, not in my routine unless I find myself using it more through a snow
storm. When running low, buy a few gallons on sale - I'd rather not have to
buy some at a gas station for a premium price! City/suburb is most of my
driving as well.

-Dave

Old January 22nd 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tony Harding" > wrote in message ...
> Here is the key to this entire thread, "should". You're insisting the
> universe should be other that it is, which is known as "musterbating" by
> Al Ellis (RIP) and his followers.
>
> This is not to say Honda couldn't or wouldn't change things in
> subsequent models - we know they do, but an existing model is a fait
> accompli.

Tony, what forces you to participate this boring thread?
Can't find "ignore thread" feature in your newsreader or smthing?

Washer Fluid Anyroadup BMW 17 October 23rd 07 02:56 PM
Window washer fluid fix. J J Technology 0 November 23rd 06 07:48 PM
Pls help - Quick Q about washer fluid for 530 Dizzy Bird via CarKB.com BMW 0 April 4th 05 12:17 AM
Washer fluid low Geir R.Pettersson Jeep 9 January 18th 05 07:28 AM
Best washer fluid for bugs? Sanjay Punjab General 0 July 4th 04 10:12 PM