Washer Fluid

Old October 17th 07, 03:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Anyroadup

Default Washer Fluid

I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?

Old October 17th 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:42:03 -0000, Anyroadup > wrote:

>I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
>Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?

NO

Try using an egg cup full of liquid sugar-soap in the washer bottle - does
fantastic job of removing grease and other ****.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old October 17th 07, 04:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Anyroadup

On Oct 17, 4:02 pm, wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:42:03 -0000, Anyroadup > wrote:
> >I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
> >Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?

> NO
>
> Try using an egg cup full of liquid sugar-soap in the washer bottle - does
> fantastic job of removing grease and other ****.
> --
>
> Sir Hugh of Bognor
>
> The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
>
> Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!
>
> Hugh Gundersen
>
> Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Intensive or ordinary bottle?

Old October 17th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:12:42 -0000, Anyroadup > wrote:

>On Oct 17, 4:02 pm, wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:42:03 -0000, Anyroadup > wrote:
>> >I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
>> >Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?

>> NO
>>
>> Try using an egg cup full of liquid sugar-soap in the washer bottle - does
>> fantastic job of removing grease and other ****.
>> --
>>
>> Sir Hugh of Bognor
>>
>> The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
>>
>> Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!
>>
>> Hugh Gundersen
>>
>> Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

>Intensive or ordinary bottle?

I use it in both especially in the winter. As you know it cleans paintwork
fantastically so don't use too much as it might just remove all your polish too.
After all we only want to clean the screen and headlamps. DON'T over do it
remember egg-cup (chicken's eggs not Ostrich Eggs)

Sir Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Old October 18th 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Anyroadup" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
> Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?

Depends where you are.

I usually put ~5% in the regular bottle and about 10% in the intensive -
less in summer, more in winter.

If it is very cold where you are put more [methanol] based washer fluid in.

Old October 18th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:05:25 GMT, DCA > wrote:

wrote:

>>> Intensive or ordinary bottle?
>>>

>> I use it in both especially in the winter. As you know it cleans paintwork
>> fantastically so don't use too much as it might just remove all your polish too.
>> After all we only want to clean the screen and headlamps. DON'T over do it
>> remember egg-cup (chicken's eggs not Ostrich Eggs)
>>
>> Sir Hugh of Bognor
>>

>What, an eggcup in each of THAT caustic stuff?

Are you sure that it's Sodium Hydroxide based? It may be strong but I did say
NOT much and don't go mad - just a little keeps it all clean.

Old October 18th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DCA

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "Anyroadup" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>> I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
>> Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?
>>

> Depends where you are.
>
> I usually put ~5% in the regular bottle and about 10% in the intensive -
> less in summer, more in winter.
>
> If it is very cold where you are put more [methanol] based washer fluid in.

Can you explain?
I have a water bottle and a concentrate bottle as far as I am aware that is!
I thought one took water, and the other took fluid that it mixes with
the water.
I'm obviously missing something here - I assume I need to read the manual!
Old October 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:39:06 GMT, DCA > wrote:

>R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>> "Anyroadup" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>>> I have topped up my windscreen washer bottle using 1/10 screenwash.
>>> Should I put neat cocentrate in the intensive wash bottle?
>>>

>> Depends where you are.
>>
>> I usually put ~5% in the regular bottle and about 10% in the intensive -
>> less in summer, more in winter.
>>
>> If it is very cold where you are put more [methanol] based washer fluid in.
>>

>Can you explain?
>I have a water bottle and a concentrate bottle as far as I am aware that is!
>I thought one took water, and the other took fluid that it mixes with
>the water.
>I'm obviously missing something here - I assume I need to read the manual!

One is for the screen washer - mix solution with water for everyday use. The
other is DEEP CLEAN and takes almost neat screen wash. However, I don't know if
the two are mixed when you pull the column stalk to deep clean or whether it
just sucks from the concentrate tank but I do know that it always needs filling
when I use the washers with the lights on so I presumed (E38 740i) that one was
for the lamps and the other was for the screen. Handbook doesn't say much about
it.
Sir Hugh of Bognor

Old October 19th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
DCA > wrote:
> Can you explain? I have a water bottle and a concentrate bottle as far
> as I am aware that is! I thought one took water, and the other took
> fluid that it mixes with the water. I'm obviously missing something
> here - I assume I need to read the manual!

You should. They are separate systems with separate controls. The washer
is normal - you use a mixture of water and screen cleaner as normal. The
intensive wash uses a different fluid. If you've been using plain water in
the normal washer it probably hasn't worked that well. ;-)

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.