Alfa Romeo 166 V6 Cambelt Change

Old August 2nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Spark

Default Alfa Romeo 166 V6 Cambelt Change

"catman" > wrote in message
> Stephen Poley wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:51:34 +0100, "Dave Sanders"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I got 2 quotes today for my service / cambelt change and was shocked to
>>>get a quoted £1200 from both, and one didn't include VAT !
>>>
>>>I live in Notts so I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend an
>>>Alfa mechanic that charges a fair price in the East Midlands. I also
>>>contacted a company called Car Care in Leicester (as recommneded in this
>>>group) but they cannot do 166 cambelts, they don't have the tools.

>> I find it amazing that Alfa still manages to sell anything in the UK,
>> the way you guys get ripped off. Just checked what I paid for the
>> service / cambelt change - EUR 650 at a main dealer, or about 480 quid.
>> OK, that was a 1.8 TS engine, but does that really make such a big
>> difference to the work involved?
>>

> Erm *yes*. There is a *huge* difference.
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
> Triumph Speed Triple: Black with extra black bits
> www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

yep, huge difference, the TS engine is a doddle, the V6's are spectacularly
horrid to do.

Old August 3rd 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stephen Poley

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 22:17:11 GMT, "Spark" > wrote:

>"catman" > wrote in message
m...
>> Stephen Poley wrote:

>>> Just checked what I paid for the
>>> service / cambelt change - EUR 650 at a main dealer, or about 480 quid.
>>> OK, that was a 1.8 TS engine, but does that really make such a big
>>> difference to the work involved?
>>>

>> Erm *yes*. There is a *huge* difference.

>yep, huge difference, the TS engine is a doddle, the V6's are spectacularly
>horrid to do.

Ah, OK. Fair enough.

In answer to Pete: that was a full service plus cambelt, plus a few
small bits and bobs, not just the cambelt.

--
Stephen Poley
Old August 3rd 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:33:40 +0200, Stephen Poley
>, wrote:

>In answer to Pete: that was a full service plus cambelt, plus a few
>small bits and bobs, not just the cambelt.

Thanks for clarifying that Stephen. This is all very helpful
feed-back for people passing by this NG as well as the regular
readers.

I got mine serviced this May. 5th annual, plus cambelt and all
trimmings, oil change, filters, roadtest etc., £317.60 inc .

Which would compare very favourably with your post.
I am in Lincs., and there are going to be regional labour
cost differences.

It really is Alfa Romeo UK dealer pricing that give you and the
majority of UK buyers the perception of high costs.
TBH if you compare the labour charges at Merc, BMW,
Mitsi, Toyota, Honda, Fiat, etc., they are in the same ball-park.
Labour costs in general are pretty high in the UK for most services.
Not just motor engineers. White goods, heating, etc.,

Hope this helps with the bigger picture.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso

Speed limit vigilante sent to jail John F. Carr Driving 366 July 25th 06 05:12 AM
Alfa Romeo GT Coupé R. de Jong Alfa Romeo 0 April 5th 06 09:20 PM
Alfa Romeo GTV Pietro Masvani Alfa Romeo 0 February 27th 06 02:06 PM
Alfa Romeo, Sidlow lee Alfa Romeo 2 August 26th 04 03:30 PM
Alfa Romeo meeting in Kraków Marek M. Alfa Romeo 0 May 7th 04 08:32 PM