Is the GTP mod for NR2003 any good?

Old November 20th 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Is the GTP mod for NR2003 any good?

Any good links to it btw?

Old November 20th 05, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

John Smith wrote:

> Any good links to it btw?

the mod - http://www.redlinedevelopments.com/
addons - http://www.gtpzone.com/

And yes, it's good. Very good.

Old November 20th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"jason moyer" > wrote in news:1132520501.217396.52580
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> John Smith wrote:
>
>> Any good links to it btw?

> the mod - http://www.redlinedevelopments.com/
> addons - http://www.gtpzone.com/
>
> And yes, it's good. Very good.

Google "Wosec" and you may find info if they are broadcasting their 24hr
race from LeMans this weekend using the GTP mod. 26 November I think. GTP
is different..I found it was kinda bouncy for my personal tastes. But
certainly if you are looking for a mod for Nr2k3, it's only one now
available with altered physics.

dh
Old November 21st 05, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The physics seem a bit 'simple' after playing GTL & rFactor but it's still
not a bad drive.

Old November 21st 05, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Damien Smith wrote:

> The physics seem a bit 'simple' after playing GTL & rFactor but it's still
> not a bad drive.

I like GTL, but I think I'd still rank V8SC as a better use of the ISI
engines. For some reason Cubits is the only guy who seems able to work
Papy-like magic with that tire system.

Old November 21st 05, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Concidering what they had to work with it's very good.

The crew chief still measures fuel in "cans", can't tell his right from
his left and gets worried when a car slows for a hairpin. But now he
does it with a fake british accent!

The braking grip and accelration is amazing but they still have the
V8-in-the-front tendancy to understeer.

I find getting a setup that doesn't hop or ossilate on correction is
tricky. And there's something goofy going on if you ride a curb.

The 4 distinct body shapes & dashes (not to mention characteristics)
are great, I just wish they were a little more equal.

The hardest part is their driving envelope I find quite small, I'm
either tooling around like an old lady or I'm waaay over driving, the
ideal band in between is quite narrow, but maybe that's realistic.

Old November 21st 05, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

jason moyer wrote:

> I like GTL, but I think I'd still rank V8SC as a better use of the ISI
> engines. For some reason Cubits is the only guy who seems able to work
> Papy-like magic with that tire system.

Just goes to show how personal preference comes into play. For me the
outstanding cars in the current sims are the rfactor advanced trainer
and the GTL 911. Both turn in like I would expect a race tuned car and
require a lot of input under braking to keep stable. Neither are
particularly hard to control under power (especially the advanced
trainer) but carrying speed through the corners is paramount to decent
times.

Depends what you are looking for, if muscle power and delicate throttle
control is more your bag then the V8SC has plenty. Personally it leaves
me cold.

All the NR2003 mods felt like they had a few bags of cement in the boot
on the way back from the DIY store. Despite some great efforts with the
mods the stock car roots of the sim always showed through IMHO.

My view is that GTL has atmosphere whereas rfactor in its current guise
does not. Again this is my personal preference kicking in - I really
like the GTL cars.

Cheers
Tony
Old November 22nd 05, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

mcewena wrote:

> The braking grip and accelration is amazing but they still have the
> V8-in-the-front tendancy to understeer.

It's actually tons-of-downforce-on-the-rear understeer, at least if you
don't balance the aero right. Even with the weight slider pushed fully
forward, there's more weight on the rear of the car than the front. If
you're experiencing severe understeer lower the rear wing. There's not
really a reason to run more than 40, I usually run 38 at high-downforce
tracks and sometimes 39 if a track is really bumpy and I'm having
trouble keeping the car from snap oversteering. I'm fairly certain
that the better GTP drivers are running less than that. If you find
the car oscillating wildly or snap oversteering in slow turns but
understeering everywhere else you probably need to tighten the chassis
and lower the rear wing.

Also, it's not a fake accent, the guy who did the spotter voices is
English.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony Rickard wrote:

> Despite some great efforts with the
> mods the stock car roots of the sim always showed through IMHO.

That's weird, because if you take the physics parameters directly from
GPL and plug them into the n2003 engine the cars handle like they do in
GPL.