Transmission service scam?

Old September 19th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Kemp

Default Transmission service scam?

My 2009 Tiguan has reached 40,000 miles and I called the dealer to find
out how much the checkup was going to cost now that they weren't doing
it for free. $550 -- holy s**t!

But then he tells me that the transmissionneeds to have a $350 service
done to it or the 60,000 mile power train warranty won't be honored.
I've looked through all the service and warranty booklets that came
with the car and I don't see any mention of this needing to be done.

Is this service really required or is he just trying to improve the
dealers bottom line?

Old September 19th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/18/2010 07:56 PM, Peter Kemp wrote:
> My 2009 Tiguan has reached 40,000 miles and I called the dealer to find
> out how much the checkup was going to cost now that they weren't doing
> it for free. $550 -- holy s**t!
>
> But then he tells me that the transmissionneeds to have a $350 service
> done to it or the 60,000 mile power train warranty won't be honored.
> I've looked through all the service and warranty booklets that came with
> the car and I don't see any mention of this needing to be done.
>
> Is this service really required or is he just trying to improve the
> dealers bottom line?

I have no idea, but IMHO any automatic transmission should get a fluid
and filter change around 50K miles or so if you plan on keeping the
vehicle for a long time.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 20th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

If it has the DSG, it has to have a fluid and filter done every 40K.

Old September 22nd 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Krak

What fluid does it have to have changed? The DSG acts like an automatic
gearbox but it is not one. It is a relatively standard gearbox except that
it has two automatically changing clutches and a somewhat different gear
train. But no fluid, other than the standard oil.

There is no mention of a 60,000 mile service in my paperwork, are you
dealing with a bona fide VW garage? Why not ask for an estimate from another
dealer??

br Krak

Old September 23rd 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
David.Smith

My DSG box had to have the "service" at 40K too. It was an oil and filter
change and cost £180. The oil and filter were £58 and £9 respectively.
Then there was the cam belt change with tensioners etc at 4 years.
Expensive this modern car owning lark!
Dave

Old September 23rd 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

The DSG fluid has a whole bunch of additives in it to do its magic. The
bottles even have expiration dates printed on them. The cam belt should have
been done at about 120K.

Old September 25th 10, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
David.Smith

I was told 80K for the cam belts or 4 years, which ever came first.
When I had an Alfa, I think the hand book said 72K miles, but Alfa brought
that down to 36K. Mine were changed at 32K as they were showing signs of
deteriation. I would rather change early than have then break at high
speed. But 32K is a bit off.
I still prefer the old duplex or triplex cam CHAIN! They may have been a
bit noisier, but with a diesel, a slight increase in engine noise probably
would be drowned out anyway!
In the old days!!! if you could hear the cam chain, it was time to change
it.
I think some manufacturers are returning to chains!
Dave

Old September 25th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Stuart H.[_3_]

On 2010-09-25 12:46 AM, David.Smith wrote:
> I was told 80K for the cam belts or 4 years, which ever came first.
> When I had an Alfa, I think the hand book said 72K miles, but Alfa
> brought that down to 36K. Mine were changed at 32K as they were showing
> signs of deteriation. I would rather change early than have then break
> at high speed. But 32K is a bit off.
> I still prefer the old duplex or triplex cam CHAIN! They may have been a
> bit noisier, but with a diesel, a slight increase in engine noise
> probably would be drowned out anyway!
> In the old days!!! if you could hear the cam chain, it was time to
> change it.
> I think some manufacturers are returning to chains!
> Dave

I had a 1969 Alfa Berlina 1750 that disabled itself by having the cam
chain hop a couple of teeth years ago.

My Canadian spec Tiguan (back on topic) does NOT have DSG but Tiptronic
transmission.
It is the Comfortline all-wheel drive approximately equivalent to the
SEL in the US.

Stuart H.
Old October 3rd 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Krak[_2_]

So how did it work out? Did you find somewhere cheaper?

Transmission service Sasha Technology 4 February 4th 07 01:13 PM
PT Transmission Service Chrysler 3 January 30th 06 06:53 PM
Muncie Transmission Service [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 August 18th 05 04:53 AM
Muncie Transmission Service [email protected] Technology 0 August 18th 05 04:47 AM
Transmission Service Wild Bill Saturn 15 June 21st 04 12:50 PM