GTR and Starforce

Old December 25th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR and Starforce

Hello all,

Received GTR for X-mas, went to install it, read the biz about Starforce
Copy Protection and decided to abort the install.

Is Starforce a bad deal? Research on Google shows good and bad. Some folks
claim it slowed their PC down and screwed with cd-rom burning. While others
say it causes no problems. Please help a brother sim racer out and let me
know if I should install GTR or not. My PC is totally tweaked and running
perfectly at the moment for all of my sim racing pleasure. I certainly don't
want to jack it up from Starforce.

Thanks.

Ducwizard

Old December 25th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I have never had a problem with it.

Andi.

Old December 25th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Andi Cole wrote:
> I have never had a problem with it.

Me neither. I've gone through a few PC upgrades and reinstalls without
any issue. From my own experience I would not hesitate, you will be
missing out on some great sims otherwise.

Cheers
Tony
Old December 26th 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In article >,
Engineer says...

> Is Starforce a bad deal?

Had no dramas with starforce, apparently there's a challenge issued by
the creators to prove any of the faults that users have complained about
for a cash prize.

I have alcohol installed mainly for VMWare and starforce hasn't
complained about it and I have both GTR and GTL running no problems.

I think the major issue with starforce is the fact that it can take a
fair bit of time to verify an original disk (but apparently has been
fixed in later versions of starforce) mine takes about 10-20secs.

--
Cheers,
Rod.
Old December 27th 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"RodP" > wrote in message
.au...
> In article >,
> Engineer says...
>
>> Is Starforce a bad deal?

> Had no dramas with starforce, apparently there's a challenge issued by
> the creators to prove any of the faults that users have complained about
> for a cash prize.

And THEIR FUD was successful by your reply. It's working.

Their so called contest, if you read the rules, is a farce.
Their "prize" is ONLY if you can prove a HARDWARE failure.
No reward if your OS gets baked because of a SOFTWARE incompatibility with
STARFORCE.

Old December 29th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> And THEIR FUD was successful by your reply. It's working.
>
> Their so called contest, if you read the rules, is a farce.
> Their "prize" is ONLY if you can prove a HARDWARE failure.
> No reward if your OS gets baked because of a SOFTWARE incompatibility with
> STARFORCE.

Has that happened to you? I don't know anyone who's had their Windows
damaged by Starforce. Starforce cleaner removes it 100% anyway so it can't
do any harm.

If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce because
they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy to bypass)

The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
incovenience. ;-)

Old December 29th 05, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in message
>> And THEIR FUD was successful by your reply. It's working.
>>
>> Their so called contest, if you read the rules, is a farce.
>> Their "prize" is ONLY if you can prove a HARDWARE failure.
>> No reward if your OS gets baked because of a SOFTWARE incompatibility
>> with STARFORCE.

> Has that happened to you? I don't know anyone who's had their Windows
> damaged by Starforce. Starforce cleaner removes it 100% anyway so it
> can't do any harm.

Yes. Now I haven't heard of anyone who's hardware has been damaged. That's
why this contest if a farce.
More than a few folks have mentioned issues with their SOFTWARE and
Starforce. Myself included.
See the simhq.com thread for that.

> If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce
> because they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy
> to bypass)

BS, Starforce NOCD cracks for most popular titles are readily available.
It's the only way I can use my Silent Hunter III DVD.

> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
> incovenience. ;-)

Ahhh, yah right .... **** poor analogy there. ;-)

So I own the game, install it and it screws up a perfectly running system.
That's not being inconvenienced, that's not hating copy protection, that's
supporting your hobby
then getting screwed by a subcontractor making a **** poor CP product.

Old December 29th 05, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Yes. Now I haven't heard of anyone who's hardware has been damaged.
> That's why this contest if a farce.

Some of the idiotic pirates were making these ridiculous claims, hence they
introduced the farcical contest to shut them up. It worked.

> More than a few folks have mentioned issues with their SOFTWARE and
> Starforce. Myself included.
> See the simhq.com thread for that.

These instances are very rare. I use Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% and have
no issue with either.
Send an email to starforce directly if you're one of the very unlucky few.

>> If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce
>> because they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy
>> to bypass)
>>

> BS, Starforce NOCD cracks for most popular titles are readily available.
> It's the only way I can use my Silent Hunter III DVD.

Excellent! So you can point all of us to NoCD cracks for GTL & GTR ?
That's great to hear.

>> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
>> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
>> incovenience. ;-)

> Ahhh, yah right .... **** poor analogy there. ;-)

> So I own the game, install it and it screws up a perfectly running system.
> That's not being inconvenienced, that's not hating copy protection, that's
> supporting your hobby
> then getting screwed by a subcontractor making a **** poor CP product.

Again, you're in the extreme minority. It's not good to make broad
generalisations. Lots of people have compatibility issues with software but
do you hear them running around saying all incompatible software should be
abolished?

Old December 30th 05, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>> Has that happened to you? I don't know anyone who's had their Windows
>> damaged by Starforce. Starforce cleaner removes it 100% anyway so it
>> can't
>> do any harm.
>>
>> If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce
>> because
>> they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy to
>> bypass)
>>

> My guess is that you work for either RIAA, MPAA, or the news media.

Nope, just a regular consumer.

>> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
>> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
>> incovenience. ;-)

> That quite funny. So if you don't want to be treated like a criminal,
> then you are a commie? You're a good guy if you support this kind of
> crap?

You didn't see the wink? It's not a simple problem and there's no simple
answer. Nobody likes to be treated like a criminal (one thing I'm dead
against is a tax on blank storage media and other such nonsense) but the
bottom line is that game piracy is rampant. If you think it's not then you
really must be off with the pixies. Society at present has 2 real choices -
try to prevent it with copy protection or have a police crackdown. There
are other options such as free games with advertising all through them but
it's hard to see that happening when sim makers are charged for licences.
:-\