Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

Old November 11th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jacqueline Passey

Default Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
instead.

Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
manual transmission?

Thanks!

Old November 11th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Jacqueline Passey" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic

Uh, not really. Go price tranny rebuilds for both. Don't forget to
include clutch replacement for the manual version.

NO-body will give you a hard-and-fast number for rebuilding a manual
transmission. EVERY-body will give you a quote on your slushbox.

> (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> manual transmission?

Your questions are quite unanswerable as arguments in themselves.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 11th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

"Jacqueline Passey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive

No, it isn't.

> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> manual transmission?

A broken manual transmission is just that, broken. Automatics on the other
hand have a lot of parts that wear out, but can be replaced. Typically, one
buys a kit, replaces all the friction materials, and the auto is good to go
for a hundred thousand more, assuming that the fluid is replaced at the
recommended intervals. When a manual transmission goes, something breaks,
and typically pokes a hole in the side of the transmission case, resulting
in a total loss, of the transmission anyway. If you are looking for an
older car, and you do find a manual, it will probably last a pretty long
time, assuming that the previous owner didn't use the clutch pedal for a
foot rest. Clutch replacement isn't so bad though.

Comparing manual transmission repair costs (or anticipated repair costs)
with auto transmission repair costs, is a lot like comparing apples and
oranges. Hope this helps. The main reason to get a manual transmission, in
any car, is that you like driving one.

Earle

Old November 11th 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.

The automatics are fine as long as the previous owner didn't
beat it to death, or never changed the fluid. IE: I usually wouldn't
be afraid to buy an automatic from any older person that drove
reasonably, and did the upkeep over the years. On the other hand,
if the owner was a young guy who fancies himself as Speed Racers
lost stepchild, I'd run away as fast as I could. I like manuals
myself,
as I get to pick when to change gears, and the mpg is generally the
best. But the automatics are ok, and some "most?" have lock up
converters so that helps. The 89 accord that I bought with 150k on it
has a 4 speed auto with lock up converter. It could bomb out, but
being
I don't dog it, it'll probably last a while. If it did, I would
probably go
find one at a junkyard if money was an issue. The junkyard will
warranty
it long enough to see if you have a lemon or not.. :/ The difference in

salvage auto trannys and salvage manuals is probably not that great.
If the car was owned by a sane person, and it seems to shift right,
I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. I would change the fluid right off the
bat
if it needed it. Thats what I did on mine, and it made it shift better
think. I actually need to change it a couple of more times. You don't
get out all the dirty fluid on one change. So you have to cycle the
stuff
around and do it again.. I still think it's easier than say yanking a
pan, filter, etc. With the drain plug, it's as easy as an oil change.
MK

Old November 11th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eric[_1_]

Earle Horton wrote:

> "Jacqueline Passey" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> > transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> > luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> > was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> > breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive

> No, it isn't.
>
> > for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> > was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> > instead.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> > to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> > repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> > manual transmission?

> A broken manual transmission is just that, broken. Automatics on the
> other hand have a lot of parts that wear out, but can be replaced.
> Typically, one buys a kit, replaces all the friction materials, and the
> auto is good to go for a hundred thousand more, assuming that the fluid
> is replaced at the recommended intervals. When a manual transmission
> goes, something breaks, and typically pokes a hole in the side of the
> transmission case, resulting in a total loss, of the transmission anyway.

Not in my experience. I've rebuilt several Honda manual transmissions.
They typically just need new bearings, seals, and synchros if they're worn.
Honda manual transmissions are very rebuildable.

Eric
Old November 11th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Eric > wrote in :

> I've rebuilt several Honda manual
> transmissions. They typically just need new bearings, seals, and
> synchros if they're worn. Honda manual transmissions are very
> rebuildable.

Mine has nearly 300K miles on it. I've been mulling over rebuilding it
myself, since it's light enough to carry into the basement.

It's fine now except for a bit of noise from the bearings, and my mechanic
figures it will probably go another couple of years. An eventual rebuild is
inevitable, though.

What special tools would I need besides a hydraulic press?

Old November 11th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> Eric > wrote in :
>
> > I've rebuilt several Honda manual
> > transmissions. They typically just need new bearings, seals, and
> > synchros if they're worn. Honda manual transmissions are very
> > rebuildable.
> >

> Mine has nearly 300K miles on it. I've been mulling over rebuilding it
> myself, since it's light enough to carry into the basement.
>
> It's fine now except for a bit of noise from the bearings, and my mechanic
> figures it will probably go another couple of years. An eventual rebuild

is
> inevitable, though.
>
> What special tools would I need besides a hydraulic press?

Find out if Eric will do the job.

Earle

Old November 11th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> manual transmission?
>
> Thanks!

1. civic autos are good for 300k or more if maintained ok and not taken
to a rip-off mechanic who'll use the wrong transmission fluid, then tell
you jerky shifting [as is what happens with the wrong fluid] is a sign
that the transmission is "about to go" and that you should give them $3k
to fix the problem "before it gets worse".

2. automatics are a lot more re-saleable.

3. it's cheaper to buy a jdm import transmission than it is to repair
any existing one. but again, unless you're looking at a vehicle with
very high mileage and intend to be high mileage yourself, civic autos
are very reliable so i wouldn't worry about it.
Old November 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck.

Kinda hilly in the Seattle area, no? That makes a difference. A well
cared for car with an automatic is likely to be cheaper to keep than a
manual transmsission car unless you are sure the manual was driven by
someone who knew enough not to wear out the clutch.

The Scion tC (coupe) is also a hatch but it's pretty new so even used
prices are likely high.

Old November 15th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jacqueline Passey

Thanks all for the information. I did end up finding one with a manual
transmission, so I went with that.