Odometer stopped working

Old October 11th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
RatNTam

Default Odometer stopped working

We have a 2000 LS1 and the odometer stopped working. The speed-o and all
other instruments work in the cluster. We've tried another entire cluster
but that one didn't work either which leads us to believe it's more than just
the odometer in the cluster being broken. Any advice?? Any idea of where we
could get a diagram of the cluster? I've been reading the posts and they all
seem to be leaning towards the broken plastic gears, but in those posts the
cars were all like 92-94's. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Old October 11th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

This is an electronic display, not a mechanical one, right?
AFIK - all your gauges are driven electrically off of a CAN Bus between the
Body Control Module and the instrument cluster. Outside of looking for loose
connectors, best to have someone with a good scan tool run some diagnostics
on it. The odometer reading (iirc) is stored in the BCM and the odometer
display is just a dumb readout.

Old October 12th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

I humbly stand corrected. Only so much I can do from memory <G>

Old October 12th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Michael Riegert

RatNTam wrote:

> We have a 2000 LS1 and the odometer stopped working. The speed-o and all
> other instruments work in the cluster. We've tried another entire cluster
> but that one didn't work either which leads us to believe it's more than
> just
> the odometer in the cluster being broken. Any advice?? Any idea of where
> we
> could get a diagram of the cluster? I've been reading the posts and they
> all seem to be leaning towards the broken plastic gears, but in those
> posts the
> cars were all like 92-94's. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Are there any other indications that are not working correctly? Daytime
Running Lights, Seat Belt Indicator, Low Fuel Level Indicator, Fuel Gage,
Trunk Open Indicator? All of these are powered by the BCM, as well as a few
others. If all of them are working correctly, the issue may reside in the
BCM itself, or in the wiring in between.

Mike