Expensive Repair in Process

Old August 9th 10, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

Default Expensive Repair in Process

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> > Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

> Yes, all bad.

Can you tell me if the 12-disc CD player in hatch is one of the items
controlled by the BCM? The reason for asking is I have a rebuilt
12-disc player and I know power is hot to the unit even with the
key OFF. If I sound like I a grabbing at straws.... I am. HiHi
Old August 10th 10, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> Can you tell me if the 12-disc CD player in hatch is one of the
> items
> controlled by the BCM? The reason for asking is I have a rebuilt
> 12-disc player and I know power is hot to the unit even with the
> key OFF. If I sound like I a grabbing at straws.... I am. HiHi

Why is the player hot with the key off, it should time out like the
rest of the accessories?

Hard to say, with over 2,000 codes just to run the engine I have no
desire to check out all the "U", "C", "P", and "B" codes to find one
by a word search. You need the failure code to start tracking a
problem.

Old August 10th 10, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
aRKay > wrote:

> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer on
> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big unknown
> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is shorted.
> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the problem.
> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as expensive
> as the BCM.

On Monday the dealership called saying it could be the $1,000 BCM (Body
Control Module) because the vehicle was drawing 6 amps with the key
OFF. The tech was trying to find the short or whatever that killed two
batteries. He was having to do it the old fashion way * one circuit at a
time. The service writer called back at the end of the day saying the
new battery was okay that it charged fine and the tech found the
interior lamp ON so he turned it OFF. The excessive current draw stopped
but he wanted to let it sleep over night in his stall and check it in
the morning. They called Tuesday and I have the car back. For only
$114 we went from Intensive Care to Release.

I have no idea how the interior lamps got turned ON but it was dying on
me during the day and I probably never noticed the lamps staying on.
The lamps turn ON when you open the door and they stay ON when you
close it for about 30 seconds. The same set of lamps double as Map
lights with two ON/OFF buttons in the mirror. I do not remember turning
on a map light but may have done by accident the last time I washed the
car and cleaned the mirror. The last wash was the morning before all
this crap started.

Dodged an expensive bullet on this one. The real test will be to see if
it starts after spending the night in our garage
Old August 10th 10, 09:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> aRKay > wrote:
>
>> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the
>> dealer on
>> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
>> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
>> unknown
>> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
>> shorted.
>> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
>> problem.
>> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
>> expensive
>> as the BCM.
>>

> On Monday the dealership called saying it could be the $1,000 BCM
> (Body
> Control Module) because the vehicle was drawing 6 amps with the key
> OFF. The tech was trying to find the short or whatever that killed
> two
> batteries. He was having to do it the old fashion way * one circuit
> at a
> time. The service writer called back at the end of the day saying
> the
> new battery was okay that it charged fine and the tech found the
> interior lamp ON so he turned it OFF. The excessive current draw
> stopped
> but he wanted to let it sleep over night in his stall and check it
> in
> the morning. They called Tuesday and I have the car back. For only
> $114 we went from Intensive Care to Release.
>
> I have no idea how the interior lamps got turned ON but it was dying
> on
> me during the day and I probably never noticed the lamps staying on.
> The lamps turn ON when you open the door and they stay ON when you
> close it for about 30 seconds. The same set of lamps double as Map
> lights with two ON/OFF buttons in the mirror. I do not remember
> turning
> on a map light but may have done by accident the last time I washed
> the
> car and cleaned the mirror. The last wash was the morning before
> all
> this crap started.
>
> Dodged an expensive bullet on this one. The real test will be to
> see if
> it starts after spending the night in our garage

I forgot about that, you may not have turned it on at the mirror. It
can be done by your left knee on the dash. Check it out.

Strange they got 4 amps one time and 6 this time.

Old August 10th 10, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George Csahanin

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> aRKay > wrote:
>
>> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer on
>> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
>> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big unknown
>> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is shorted.
>> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the problem.
>> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as expensive
>> as the BCM.
>>

> On Monday the dealership called saying it could be the $1,000 BCM (Body
> Control Module) because the vehicle was drawing 6 amps with the key
> OFF. The tech was trying to find the short or whatever that killed two
> batteries. He was having to do it the old fashion way * one circuit at a
> time. The service writer called back at the end of the day saying the
> new battery was okay that it charged fine and the tech found the
> interior lamp ON so he turned it OFF. The excessive current draw stopped
> but he wanted to let it sleep over night in his stall and check it in
> the morning. They called Tuesday and I have the car back. For only
> $114 we went from Intensive Care to Release.
>
> I have no idea how the interior lamps got turned ON but it was dying on
> me during the day and I probably never noticed the lamps staying on.
> The lamps turn ON when you open the door and they stay ON when you
> close it for about 30 seconds. The same set of lamps double as Map
> lights with two ON/OFF buttons in the mirror. I do not remember turning
> on a map light but may have done by accident the last time I washed the
> car and cleaned the mirror. The last wash was the morning before all
> this crap started.
>
> Dodged an expensive bullet on this one. The real test will be to see if
> it starts after spending the night in our garage

My C4 was killing batteries. It turned out to be the interior lights. In
that model there was a little metal tang next to the headlight switch to
turn inside lights on. I guess when turning headlights off I kept hitting
it. Went from a new battery every year to one that has now lasted four
years.

Old August 10th 10, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > aRKay > wrote:
> >
> >> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the
> >> dealer on
> >> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
> >> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
> >> unknown
> >> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
> >> shorted.
> >> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
> >> problem.
> >> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
> >> expensive
> >> as the BCM.
> >>

> > On Monday the dealership called saying it could be the $1,000 BCM
> > (Body
> > Control Module) because the vehicle was drawing 6 amps with the key
> > OFF. The tech was trying to find the short or whatever that killed
> > two
> > batteries. He was having to do it the old fashion way - one circuit
> > at a
> > time. The service writer called back at the end of the day saying
> > the
> > new battery was okay that it charged fine and the tech found the
> > interior lamp ON so he turned it OFF. The excessive current draw
> > stopped
> > but he wanted to let it sleep over night in his stall and check it
> > in
> > the morning. They called Tuesday and I have the car back. For only
> > $114 we went from Intensive Care to Release.
> >
> > I have no idea how the interior lamps got turned ON but it was dying
> > on
> > me during the day and I probably never noticed the lamps staying on.
> > The lamps turn ON when you open the door and they stay ON when you
> > close it for about 30 seconds. The same set of lamps double as Map
> > lights with two ON/OFF buttons in the mirror. I do not remember
> > turning
> > on a map light but may have done by accident the last time I washed
> > the
> > car and cleaned the mirror. The last wash was the morning before
> > all
> > this crap started.
> >
> > Dodged an expensive bullet on this one. The real test will be to
> > see if
> > it starts after spending the night in our garage

> I forgot about that, you may not have turned it on at the mirror. It
> can be done by your left knee on the dash. Check it out.
>
> Strange they got 4 amps one time and 6 this time.

I called and asked the service writer about the 4 vs 6 amps. He wrote
down 4 from his discussion with the tech on first test but the tech
notes on the invoice for what he found said 6.25 amps. The 6.25 may
be after they installed the recharged battery.

On the same follow up call I asked about the map light and he said it
was the pot on the dash dimmer lights. I just tried it and when you
roll it just past high, the interior lights come on. I could have done
that cleaning the dash. I tend to forget about the dash dimmer
switch
Old August 10th 10, 11:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>
> e.com...
> > Can you tell me if the 12-disc CD player in hatch is one of the
> > items
> > controlled by the BCM? The reason for asking is I have a rebuilt
> > 12-disc player and I know power is hot to the unit even with the
> > key OFF. If I sound like I a grabbing at straws.... I am. HiHi

> Why is the player hot with the key off, it should time out like the
> rest of the accessories?
>
> Hard to say, with over 2,000 codes just to run the engine I have no
> desire to check out all the "U", "C", "P", and "B" codes to find one
> by a word search. You need the failure code to start tracking a
> problem.

I found out about the changer wire being hot when I called the
place that sells or rebuilds the 12 disc changers. As a test he had
me pull the connector to do a reset. It is hot all the time.