Idea of the muscle car is dead (Or, why Ford can't sell cars now)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 17th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_113_]

Default Idea of the muscle car is dead (Or, why Ford can't sell cars now)

Michael Johnson > wrote in :

> Joe wrote:
>> Michael Johnson > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> <major snippage>
>>
>>> It is going to take some MAJOR breakdown in our way of life before the
>>> population gets off its collective ass and makes real change happen.
>>> By then the Democrats and, to a lesser extent, the Republicans may
>>> have us screwed so bad there are no alternatives left. Either way we
>>> are getting EXACTLY what we deserve for being so apathetic for
>>> decades. I wouldn't blame the younger people if they just told all
>>> the Baby Boomers that when they retire they will be euthanized since
>>> they squandered all the money that was to go toward their retirement
>>> costs.

>> Saw an interview with Andrew J. Bacevich last night on Bill Moyers'
>> Journal on PBS. Absolutely riveting, and that's not an exaggeration.
>>
>> Bacevich is highly accredited and tells the real story - he is right on
>> the money IMO.
>>
>> Here's a preview of what he's all about:
>> http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08152008/profile.html

> It sounds interesting. I agree that our biggest threats come from
> within our own borders and I'll go even further and say they come from
> the very politicians we elect to solve our problems. It wouldn't take
> them more than a year to pass all the legislation needed to right the
> ship. It will take years to actually make it happen but to set the
> framework for it would be easy. I think there needs to be a fundamental
> change in our political structure and it needs to start with term
> limits. I think career politicians are killing this country.

Bacevich knows what he's talking about. Here's a brief bio on him:
http://www.bu.edu/ir/faculty/bacevich.html

Here's an interesting article he wrote last month for the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed..._hath_wrought/

To date, nobody else has professed more sobering ideas than Bacevich
IMO. Unfortunately, it will take a radical mindset change in America
before we see real change such as he describes.