Buying 4X4, and trying to understand 4wd terms and types, advice requested.

Old October 5th 04, 07:55 PM
Tim Lapin

In article >,
Chris J. > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:50:18 -0400, Tim Lapin >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Chris J. > wrote:
> >
> >> A few weeks ago, I started shopping for a 4X4, and was a bit confused
> >> so decided to do some research. Well, I'm no longer a bit confused,
> >> I'm now totally confused.
> >>

> >Check out the Kia Sorento.
> >
> >Positives:
> >1) Compact to midsized
> >2) Real 4x4 off road capabilities
> >3) Real 4x4 low gear

> Does that mean locking differentials?

The Sorento has a limited slip differential. From all accounts, the
system works well.

> I'll add this to the list, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the reviews and comparisons from:
Motor Week: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek
Motor Trend: http://motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/...uvs/index.html
Motor Trend: http://motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/112_0212_suv/
Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com (look for editors most wanted)

I've tried to find reviews that highlight the off-road capabilities.
I'm sure you could find others.

Also, please let us know what you finally pick. I think I speak for all
of us here in rec.autos.4x4 in saying we'd love to know.
Old October 13th 04, 04:31 PM
NES

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:55:00 -0700, Chris J. >
wrote:

>So far, my list of candidates is
>Toyota rav-4 and 4-runner
>Honda Element
>Chevy tracker
>Suzuki Vitara

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if someone already
recommended this vehicle. A friend of my wife bought a new Kia
Sorento. Not a bad little vehicle. V6, 4WD, 4 door, etc.

Neil