Is it possible to bypass the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor, Crankcase Position Sensor)

Old January 23rd 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Is it possible to bypass the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor, Crankcase Position Sensor)

I checked for previous topics on this but I did not find one about
bypassing the CPS. I am selling my 88 Comanche and wouldn't you know
the damned thing will only start cold, one time and thats it. My
experience with my 87 tells me its the CPS. I would love to just
bypass the thing so I can sell it, or at least so I can tell the guy
buying it that this is what the problem is. He is a friend of mine and
I am giving him a deal but he is not mechanically inclined so I will
end up fixing it for him anyway but I would like to wait for spring
when its a little warmer than 10 degrees outside.

By the way I am new to the group! My name is Erich I live in the
Rockies and I have had a number of Jeeps over the past 25 years. My
wife just bought me a 2006 Unlimited so I am learning all about Jeeps
again.

Thanks!

Old January 23rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The CPS is how the computer knows how many RPMs the engine is making and
when the crank passes TDC (or some other benchmark), and syncs spark and
fuel (for FI) to it. With no CPS the computer doesn't know that the
engine is turning at all.

Old January 23rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> I would love to just
> bypass the thing so I can sell it,

No problem.
You will need a telegraph key, a rubber band, a surplus US Navy URM-43a
signal generator, a deer antler and an pineapple.
Tie the antler to the torsion dampener with the rubber band and some Elmer's
glue. Place the telegraph key where the antler will tap it on each
revolution. Wire the telegraph key to the signal generator set for 5500 Hz
at 4.2V and then shove the pineapple up your ass for trying to hide a
problem rather than fix it when selling a vehicle.
--
Stupendous Man,

Old January 23rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

How far?

Earle

Old January 23rd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

LMAO THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old January 23rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Is that a 6 pt. antler for a six cylinder?
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old January 23rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

ROFLMFAO!!

Old January 23rd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wow, with friend like you, who would need an enemy?
This has got to be some sort of joke.

When you think you've heard it all, just log onto the internet!

Jim Smith

oups.com...

Old January 24th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks for the input, I figured as much. I had this problem on the
road with my 87, it would be great if there was a quick fix so you
could get it home and not have to have it towed.

Old January 24th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You might want to re-read what I wrote, I have every intention of
fixing it for him, I am looking for some intelligent discussion on how
to isolate or temporarily fix it for him so I don't have to be out
working on it in the sub zero weather.