1992 Honda Civic DX issue

Old October 17th 05, 06:23 PM

Default 1992 Honda Civic DX issue

I have the vehicle named above. This morning after driving to work, I
noticed that the engine temperature was much higher than normal, and
there was coolant on the ground. Then I tried the heat in the car, and
only cool air would blow out from the heater. I turned off the car
immediately.

I don't know if this is the water pump, a hose, or the radiator. I
have an appointment with my mechanic in a few days.

Can I drive this vehicle at all without damaging it? May I drive it
short distances if I watch the heat guage? Thanks for the
information...

Old October 17th 05, 07:05 PM
Comboverfish

wrote:
> I have the vehicle named above. This morning after driving to work, I
> noticed that the engine temperature was much higher than normal, and
> there was coolant on the ground. Then I tried the heat in the car, and
> only cool air would blow out from the heater. I turned off the car
> immediately.
>
> I don't know if this is the water pump, a hose, or the radiator. I
> have an appointment with my mechanic in a few days.
>
> Can I drive this vehicle at all without damaging it? May I drive it
> short distances if I watch the heat guage? Thanks for the
> information...

Add coolant to the radiator and overflow bottle with the engine COLD.
Replace cap and start engine. Look around the top of the radiator for
leaks. If no leak is found there, look underneath the front engine
area (driver's side where the accessory belts are) for coolant dripping
on the ground.

A very slow leak can be monitored while still driving the car short
distances. If the leak is from the top of the radiator, and not too
bad, you should be OK for the next couple of days. If it is from under
the engine (water pump most likely) then I would suggest you let it sit
until your repair appointment.

The fact that you had no heat is proof enough that you were dangerously
low on coolant. Perhaps you had a slow leak and did not notice it
until now, or perhaps the leak is a gusher that just opened up. Know
which one it is before you attempt to drive any further.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old October 18th 05, 12:42 AM
Al Bundy

You drive this with a leak at your own risk. Top off the tank of
course. That does not guarantee that air won't be in the system.
Trapped air can cause local heating and blow a head gasket. Many people
go on for weeks or more topping the fluid off regularly. Others do
severe engine damage in days. The newer the vehicle the less chance you
will get away with it.

Old October 19th 05, 01:03 AM
Drewzella

If I where u, I would not drive the auto any more than I have to. Honda's
have aluminum heads which are very prone to wrapage and or breaking. This
can be a very expensive proceedure

Old October 19th 05, 06:47 AM
Burt S.

> wrote in message ups.com...

> I have the vehicle named above. This morning after driving to work, I
> noticed that the engine temperature was much higher than normal, and
> there was coolant on the ground. Then I tried the heat in the car, and
> only cool air would blow out from the heater. I turned off the car
> immediately.
> I don't know if this is the water pump, a hose, or the radiator. I
> have an appointment with my mechanic in a few days.
> Can I drive this vehicle at all without damaging it? May I drive it
> short distances if I watch the heat guage? Thanks for the
> information...

An improperly bleeding on certain motors can blow coolant into the
pavement caused by steam. Honda permits driving the vehicle as
long as the needle does not touch the red mark.

1992 honda civic nik339 Honda 7 September 8th 05 02:55 PM
2000 Honda Civic Starting issue Subhabrata Bhattacharyya Honda 2 July 15th 05 01:59 AM
1992 Honda Civic VSS(?) problem fart Honda 9 May 25th 05 01:42 PM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 02:43 PM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM