2006 Mustang Convertible 2 questions?

Old May 1st 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 2006 Mustang Convertible 2 questions?

Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without damaging
the top? At lower speeds? A highway speeds?

The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage
improve? ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km mostly
on cruise at 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).

Thanks

Bill (A young at heart old fart)

Old May 1st 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Bill Jarrett" > wrote in message
> Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without damaging the
> top? At lower speeds? A highway speeds?
>
> The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage improve?
> ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km mostly on cruise at
> 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).
>
> Thanks
>

> Bill (A young at heart old fart)

You are complaining about 31mpg in a Mustang convertible? What kind of mpg's were
you expecting?

(*>

Old May 1st 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Hawk" > wrote in message ...

> "Bill Jarrett" > wrote in message

>> Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without damaging the
>> top? At lower speeds? A highway speeds?
>>
>> The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage improve?
>> ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km mostly on cruise at
>> 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Bill (A young at heart old fart)

> You are complaining about 31mpg in a Mustang convertible? What kind of mpg's were
> you expecting?

31 mpg (Imperial gallons) is 24.8 mpg U.S. gallons
Old May 1st 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:22:06 -0400, "Bill Jarrett" >
wrote:

>Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without damaging
>the top? At lower speeds? A highway speeds?
>
>The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage
>improve? ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km mostly
>on cruise at 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).
>
>Thanks
>

>Bill (A young at heart old fart)

The data you quote equates to 25 MPH (American Gallon) which is within
the EPA guidelines of 19/25 for the V-6. You may see a slight rise in
mileage as you get more miles on the car, however I wouldn't
anticipate it, rather be happy if you see it and consider it a
"pleasant suprise"

As for driving without the tonneau, for short trips it shouldn't
matter, but who would want a "sporty car" and screw up the illusion
with a "naked convertible top" ???

You do have an "image" to keep LOL

John
Old May 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Bill Jarrett" > wrote in message
: Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without
damaging
: the top?

This depends on your idea of damage.
If you are thinking of WIND damage, no problem, you can drive faster with
the tonneau off than you can with it on. It will possibly blow off at around
90. I had one come off on me while running 85 down teh freeway. It really
raised hell with the traffic let me tell ya, and then I had to turn around
and go get it.

If you are thinking of SUN damage, you should ALWAYS use your tonneau, or
the sun will fade the headliner making it prematurely ugly and causing the
early onset of fabric rot. It fades to an ugly reddish brown color. It will
also allow more dirt to get into the fabric.

:At lower speeds? A highway speeds?

Any speed should be ok, see above.

:
: The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage
: improve? ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km
mostly
: on cruise at 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).

Bill - hon - you don't buy a Mustang for fuel economy. Love it for what it
is.
If the mileage improves, all the better, but don't get your hopes up.
Think of your new baby as a high maintenance woman. She's expensive, but
worth it.
I'm too blonde to do the conversion from metric to mpg but I'm guessing it's
not great.

My Rubicon is a 6 banger and only gets 14-16 mpg. Much less than my 98 Cobra
got.

Kate

:
: Thanks
:
:
: Bill (A young at heart old fart)

Kate
(Loves old farts - has one of her own)

:
:

Old May 1st 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"karinhall" > wrote
: > You are complaining about 31mpg in a Mustang convertible? What kind of
mpg's were
: > you expecting?
: >
: >
: 31 mpg (Imperial gallons) is 24.8 mpg U.S. gallons

Man! Wish *I* got nearly 25mpg with my 6 banger.

Kate

Old May 1st 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

just for comparison, my '06 GT convert is getting 20 mpg (US) around
town, so hoping for 24+ on the road.

note that with the redesigned top mechanism for '05, the boot
(tonneau) is an option as Ford sez it's not really necessary for
top-down motoring........but I plan to put mine on for anything but a
quick top-down session........assuming we ever have any appropriate
weather!

Old May 2nd 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Kate" (please ask)> wrote in
:

> "Bill Jarrett" > wrote in message
>: Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without
> damaging
>: the top?
>
> This depends on your idea of damage.
> If you are thinking of WIND damage, no problem, you can drive faster
> with the tonneau off than you can with it on. It will possibly blow
> off at around 90. I had one come off on me while running 85 down teh
> freeway. It really raised hell with the traffic let me tell ya, and
> then I had to turn around and go get it.
>
> If you are thinking of SUN damage, you should ALWAYS use your tonneau,
> or the sun will fade the headliner making it prematurely ugly and
> causing the early onset of fabric rot. It fades to an ugly reddish
> brown color. It will also allow more dirt to get into the fabric.
>
>:At lower speeds? A highway speeds?
>
> Any speed should be ok, see above.
>
>:
>: The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage
>: improve? ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km
> mostly
>: on cruise at 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).
>
> Bill - hon - you don't buy a Mustang for fuel economy. Love it for
> what it is.
> If the mileage improves, all the better, but don't get your hopes up.
> Think of your new baby as a high maintenance woman. She's expensive,
> but worth it.
> I'm too blonde to do the conversion from metric to mpg but I'm
> guessing it's not great.
>
> My Rubicon is a 6 banger and only gets 14-16 mpg. Much less than my 98
> Cobra got.

That's about what my 360 Dak gets, but at least it's got a 3.92 rear.

> Kate
>
>:
>: Thanks
>:
>:
>: Bill (A young at heart old fart)
>
> Kate
> (Loves old farts - has one of her own)

BTW, I'm an old fart too.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old May 2nd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I get 25 mpg (US gallons) on the highway in my 06 GT 5spd, 20mpg around town
with a little highway.
Larry
. ..

Old May 2nd 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

When I got my GT convert in '03, Ford was including the tonneau for free
and recommended it be used for long distance travel with the top down.
After that car got totaled by a Jeep Liberty, I ordered an exact same
configuration in an '04 at which time I was told that Ford wanted $$$
for it as an optional accessory. Funny how a shrinking profit margin
turns "free and recommended" items into costly "optional accessories"!
Needless to say, I kept mine from the '03, but have never used it. I'm
much happier with the windscreen that I bought. Sure, I lose the use of
the rear seat for passenger use, but being able to ride with the top
down and not have the wind blowing down the back of my neck is far
better. Besides, the rear seats really only offer storage room for my
windshield sun screen and Mustang baseball cap anyway!

Mike
'04 Sonic Blue GT vert