Key blanks for the Vue

Old July 18th 13, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default Key blanks for the Vue

I thought it might be prudent to have a spare key on my key ring - separate
from the fob just in case the key gets locked inside the car. One never
knows when the vehicle may just lock itself when you have the security
system and RKE...

Went to a local locksmith and found that the keys with a "chip" in them
(actually an RFID transponder) sell for $75! OK, a bit too rich for me right
now. He says he can cut a key to fit the door for $5 but it won't activate
the Passlock 3 so can't be used in the ignition. Sounded OK but he can't
find a blank.

Shopped around for passlock3 on google and found several articles on how to
bypass the passlock. Also found www.mysecuritypro.com which sells (among
other things) key blanks. For my '09 Vue, it would use a B114R-PT. There is
also a key without the "R", which stands for Reverse, or mirror image. My
existing key matches the "R" type.
Cost is $24.50 each or $12.25 each for five blanks. Take this to your
locksmith and then have them duplicate your original key.
The keys have a + with a circle around it to indicate it is a Philips type
46 encrypted system.

You then have to teach the car the new key which is detailed in the Saturn
Vue Owner's manual. I believe that you put a working key into the ignition
and turn it on. Quickly remove the key and put the new one in within 10
seconds and turn to on.

If anybody finds a resource with a better price, please post.

Old August 5th 13, 08:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
ryan42

Oppie wrote:
> I thought it might be prudent to have a spare key on my key ring -
> separate from the fob just in case the key gets locked inside the car.
> One never knows when the vehicle may just lock itself when you have the
> security system and RKE...
>
> Went to a local locksmith and found that the keys with a "chip" in them
> (actually an RFID transponder) sell for $75! OK, a bit too rich for me
> right now. He says he can cut a key to fit the door for $5 but it won't
> activate the Passlock 3 so can't be used in the ignition. Sounded OK but
> he can't find a blank.
>
> Shopped around for passlock3 on google and found several articles on how
> to bypass the passlock. Also found www.mysecuritypro.com which sells
> (among other things) key blanks. For my '09 Vue, it would use a
> B114R-PT. There is also a key without the "R", which stands for Reverse,
> or mirror image. My existing key matches the "R" type.
> Cost is $24.50 each or $12.25 each for five blanks. Take this to your
> locksmith and then have them duplicate your original key.
> The keys have a + with a circle around it to indicate it is a Philips
> type 46 encrypted system.
>
> You then have to teach the car the new key which is detailed in the
> Saturn Vue Owner's manual. I believe that you put a working key into the
> ignition and turn it on. Quickly remove the key and put the new one in
> within 10 seconds and turn to on.
>
> If anybody finds a resource with a better price, please post.

My local Ace hardware can copy transponder keys, I believe for $20.
Their blanks have batteries in them to power the transponder which is a
bit odd and makes the key rather bulky. It also is an exact duplicate of
your source transponder key, and the car sees it as the same key. This
means if your vehicle requires two working keys to program a 3rd blank
(should you get an additional OEM RFID key in the future) you can't use
the copy because the car will think you just put the same key in a
second time.

Once the car is old and beaten enough that its no longer a likely theft
target, you can easily bypass the whole RFID system by taping a working
RFID key inside the steering column housing near the ignition switch.
Then you can use a regular key to start the car.

My own Vue does not have Passlock, which I'm thankful for as its
ignition cylinder literally eats keys. I've tossed about 4 keys since
I've owned it because they get worn down to the point where they will
not easily work in the ignition and especially in the back door (which
seems to be very picky.) This is probably something that I should
replace the ignition cylinder for, but I have several fresh spares now
that cost me $1.25 each and they seem to give a good year's worth of
service, so I won't likely bother.

Regards,
Ryan
Old August 9th 13, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"ryan42" > wrote in message
> Oppie wrote:
>> I thought it might be prudent to have a spare key on my key ring -
>> separate from the fob just in case the key gets locked inside the car.
>> One never knows when the vehicle may just lock itself when you have the
>> security system and RKE...
>>
>> Went to a local locksmith and found that the keys with a "chip" in them
>> (actually an RFID transponder) sell for $75! OK, a bit too rich for me
>> right now. He says he can cut a key to fit the door for $5 but it won't
>> activate the Passlock 3 so can't be used in the ignition. Sounded OK but
>> he can't find a blank.
>>
>> Shopped around for passlock3 on google and found several articles on how
>> to bypass the passlock. Also found www.mysecuritypro.com which sells
>> (among other things) key blanks. For my '09 Vue, it would use a
>> B114R-PT. There is also a key without the "R", which stands for Reverse,
>> or mirror image. My existing key matches the "R" type.
>> Cost is $24.50 each or $12.25 each for five blanks. Take this to your
>> locksmith and then have them duplicate your original key.
>> The keys have a + with a circle around it to indicate it is a Philips
>> type 46 encrypted system.
>>
>> You then have to teach the car the new key which is detailed in the
>> Saturn Vue Owner's manual. I believe that you put a working key into the
>> ignition and turn it on. Quickly remove the key and put the new one in
>> within 10 seconds and turn to on.
>>
>> If anybody finds a resource with a better price, please post.

> My local Ace hardware can copy transponder keys, I believe for $20. Their
> blanks have batteries in them to power the transponder which is a bit odd
> and makes the key rather bulky. It also is an exact duplicate of your
> source transponder key, and the car sees it as the same key. This means if
> your vehicle requires two working keys to program a 3rd blank (should you
> get an additional OEM RFID key in the future) you can't use the copy
> because the car will think you just put the same key in a second time.
>
> Once the car is old and beaten enough that its no longer a likely theft
> target, you can easily bypass the whole RFID system by taping a working
> RFID key inside the steering column housing near the ignition switch. Then
> you can use a regular key to start the car.
>
> My own Vue does not have Passlock, which I'm thankful for as its ignition
> cylinder literally eats keys. I've tossed about 4 keys since I've owned it
> because they get worn down to the point where they will not easily work in
> the ignition and especially in the back door (which seems to be very
> picky.) This is probably something that I should replace the ignition
> cylinder for, but I have several fresh spares now that cost me $1.25 each
> and they seem to give a good year's worth of service, so I won't likely
> bother.
>
> Regards,
> Ryan

Thanks Ryan,
I had originally just looked for a non-RFID key to just open the door in
case the key got locked inside. Locksmith couldn't find a blank. Haven't
tried any other locksmiths yet.
Saw a video on how to extract the RFID capsule from the key which you could
as you wrote, leave inside the steering column so the pickup coil sees it.
Thankfully, no sign of wear on my key yet. I do periodically put a tiny
amount of chap stick on my fingers and rub the key with it to lubricate the
edges.

Wireless keys blanks NotMe Chrysler 32 September 9th 08 04:47 AM
More on Steel Key Blanks Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 3 May 10th 05 10:00 PM
Steel Key Blanks Cut Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 6 April 30th 05 04:18 AM
Honda key blanks.... ajpdla Honda 29 December 18th 04 08:53 PM
Vintage Auto Key Blanks The Guy Antique cars 0 October 20th 04 06:19 PM