2007 300C w/Goodyear tires--Noisy

Old November 12th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 2007 300C w/Goodyear tires--Noisy

Car came with Goodyear Assurance tires. After around 16K miles, they
developed a whirring, roaring sound that increase in pitch with speed,
almost as if they were cupped. Too new for bad shocks, I thought. I
rotate tires every 6000 miles religiously.

Had an alignment, and dealer said tires were slightly "feathered".
Asked him what might cause that, and he said alignment. I would think
with regular rotation that shouldn't be a big problem.

Anyone have similar complaint/experience? What can I do, short of
replacing the darn things?

--
Thieves get rich and saints get shot, and God don't answer prayers a lot.
Old November 12th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Art[_1_]

Sounds like a repeat of the crappy tire problem that came with the 1999
300M. Tires were crap after 12k miles. Goodyear replaced them.
Replacements were crap after 10k miles. I replaced them with Michelins.
Problem solved.

Old November 12th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Art wrote:

> Sounds like a repeat of the crappy tire problem that came with the
> 1999 300M. Tires were crap after 12k miles. Goodyear replaced
> them. Replacements were crap after 10k miles. I replaced them
> with Michelins. Problem solved.

I replaced the Goodyear (Eagles?) on my 300m with Dunlop SP5000's, and
when they wore out I went with Yokohama Advan S4. The S4 is a very
quiet tire. It's billed as an "ultra high performace all season"
tire, but I put snows on in the winter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ADVAN+S.4.
Old November 12th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
damnnickname

sounds as if you arent sure that it is the tires causing the noise. Have
you rotated them to see if the noise changes? could you be hearing a wheel
bearing problem?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...kers.chrysler/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old November 13th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:

> Car came with Goodyear Assurance tires. After around 16K miles, they
> developed a whirring, roaring sound that increase in pitch with speed,
> almost as if they were cupped. Too new for bad shocks, I thought. I
> rotate tires every 6000 miles religiously.
>
> Had an alignment, and dealer said tires were slightly "feathered". Asked
> him what might cause that, and he said alignment. I would think with
> regular rotation that shouldn't be a big problem.
>
> Anyone have similar complaint/experience? What can I do, short of
> replacing the darn things?

Consistent with what others are saying in their replies to you, once a
problem like this develops with a given set of tires, it's pretty much
impossible to correct that set of tires. Best thing to do is get an
alignment now simultaneous with replacing the tires to something not
considered "high performance". So-called high performance tires are a
very poor value in my opinion (and yes - it is my opinion which anyone
is free to disagree with). You pay 2 to 3 times more for a tire that
will have 1/2 the tread life of a non-high performance tire, and will
likely develop noise problems like this 1/2 way thru that period, and
the tire manufacturer will not adjust it no matter what (because they
are high performance and that makes it easy for the manufacturer to
pretend that you are to blame by abuse, neglect, improper alignment, or
anything else they can think of to shift the blame to you, and you have
no effective recourse). As I said: Very poor value compared to a nice
touring tire IMO.

So yourself a favor and *always* get 'before' and 'after' printouts with
your alignments. You will prevent a lot of headscratching and maximize
your chances of avoiding this kind of problem. In this particular case,
when you do get the new tires and alignment, getting 'before' and
'after' printouts will sove the mystery - at least for you own
curiousity - of whether your alignment was out and cause the present
problem *OR* that your alingment was in fact fine and the problem is
poorly designed tires. This will make you smarter for future tire
selections and help you avoid b.s. artists in the tire market.

IMO...

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 13th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

damnnickname wrote:
> sounds as if you arent sure that it is the tires causing the noise. Have
> you rotated them to see if the noise changes? could you be hearing a wheel
> bearing problem?
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks for the reply.

Yes--you'll note in my original post that I DO rotate every 6,000 miles.
The noise just cropped up recently, around 16K miles, after a 1,600
mile trip across country. Rotation right after that did not cure the
noise. And, I am certain that the tires are the cause of the noise;
two dealers have confirmed that I do NOT have a wheel bearing problem,
and one dealer said that the "feathering" would cause the tires to be
noisy. He said that driving them would eventually lessen the
noise--that's NOT my experience with tires that have developed cupping
or feathering over the years, and with many cars.

It used to be that one could have tires "trued"--a process of trimming a
small amount of rubber from the tread to eliminate the
cupping/feathering; but, no one does that any more.

Old November 13th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

MoPar Man wrote:
> Art wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a repeat of the crappy tire problem that came with the
>> 1999 300M. Tires were crap after 12k miles. Goodyear replaced
>> them. Replacements were crap after 10k miles. I replaced them
>> with Michelins. Problem solved.

> I replaced the Goodyear (Eagles?) on my 300m with Dunlop SP5000's, and
> when they wore out I went with Yokohama Advan S4. The S4 is a very
> quiet tire. It's billed as an "ultra high performace all season"
> tire, but I put snows on in the winter.
>
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ADVAN+S.4.

Hmmm. Link leads to page that says "We were unable to find a match for
the Yokohama tire you selected." Perusing all Yokohama tires on
Tirerack, I couldn't find one in 225/60/18, the original equip. size on
my 300C. Did you use the optional size?

--
Thieves get rich and saints get shot, and God don't answer prayers a lot.
Old November 13th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

wrote:
> MoPar Man wrote:
>> Art wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like a repeat of the crappy tire problem that came with the
>>> 1999 300M. Tires were crap after 12k miles. Goodyear replaced
>>> them. Replacements were crap after 10k miles. I replaced them
>>> with Michelins. Problem solved.

>> I replaced the Goodyear (Eagles?) on my 300m with Dunlop SP5000's, and
>> when they wore out I went with Yokohama Advan S4. The S4 is a very
>> quiet tire. It's billed as an "ultra high performace all season"
>> tire, but I put snows on in the winter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ADVAN+S.4.

> Hmmm. Link leads to page that says "We were unable to find a match for
> the Yokohama tire you selected." Perusing all Yokohama tires on
> Tirerack, I couldn't find one in 225/60/18, the original equip. size on
> my 300C. Did you use the optional size?

OOPS! Make that "perusing all Yokohama Advan S4....."

--
Thieves get rich and saints get shot, and God don't answer prayers a lot.
Old November 13th 07, 11:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:

> ...And, I am certain that the tires are the cause of the noise;
> two dealers have confirmed that I do NOT have a wheel bearing problem,
> and one dealer said that the "feathering" would cause the tires to be
> noisy. He said that driving them would eventually lessen the
> noise--that's NOT my experience with tires that have developed cupping
> or feathering over the years, and with many cars.

As I said in my other post - kind of an inherent property of so-called
hi-performance tires - due to very little siping and large tread blocks
that create the cupping. Again - low tread life, almost guaranteed
noise halfway thru the otherwise usable low tread life, high initial
cost, and absolutely no help from the manufacturer when such problems
develop because this kind of problem is accepted in the industry. So why
buy them?

Look into Cooper touring tire CS-4. Super quiet, and very good tread
life. Approx. $85 each. A bargain in my book. And have your local
tire dealer order them in. By the time you pay shipping and extra
installation costs (and no one to turn to if problems develop) if
ordering from Tire Rack, the seemingly good price for mail order tires
doesn't look so hot - better off getting from your local tire dealer who
you also get your alignments from (which also reduces finger-pointing if
problems develop).

> It used to be that one could have tires "trued"--a process of trimming a
> small amount of rubber from the tread to eliminate the
> cupping/feathering; but, no one does that any more.

Yep - by the time you pay the labor of the truing process and subtract
out the cost of the reduced life of the tires from removing tread depth,
you are money ahead by just starting with a new set of tires - *plus*
there's a chance that the problem is still there even after the truing.
That's why no one does truing anymore.

It seems to me that you knew the answers to your questions before you
even posted.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 14th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Bill Putney wrote:

> It seems to me that you knew the answers to your questions before you
> even posted.

Nope, just gut feelings. Since I don't live in "the big city", I was
hoping I could pick the brains of folks who know more than I, maybe
those who have been exposed to more advanced technology than that
available in RURAL central MO!

My selling dealer is in Columbia, and his techs "didn't hear any noise";
of course, they don't hear it driving only 3 or 4 miles. They don't
live with the car. Not like driving 4K miles across country, and
putting 20K miles on in a year.

You mentioned Cooper; I have a local dealer who can get Coopers for me.
BUT, I had two sets of Cobra's on a 2001 Nissan Altima, BOTH of which
developed cupping after some 20K miles, even with alignments, rotation,
AND new rear struts. Twice burned, not again.

--
Thieves get rich and saints get shot, and God don't answer prayers a lot.

Goodyear Wrangler Tires Greg[_4_] Ford Explorer 2 September 4th 06 02:28 PM
Goodyear EMT tires Dad Corvette 6 May 31st 06 04:37 PM
FS: Brand New Goodyear RUNFLAT TIRES F1, SC. Only 500 miles. dave Corvette 0 February 23rd 06 02:36 AM
Anyone install Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires? [email protected] General 1 June 4th 05 04:15 AM