Compression Test

Old December 9th 04, 07:46 PM
Dave Skirrow

Default Compression Test

Hi,

Just need a quick bit of advice. I have just refitted my cylinder head
although I have not yet refilled the coolant or started the car.

I decided to do a quick compression test to check everything was in order
before I filled the coolant and so on.

The first cylinder I checked showed very low pressure. (about 40psi)
Bearing in mind that the oil pressure isn't up and the engine temp is still
stone cold, is this reading totally inaccurate.

Is it worth me filling the coolant up and running the car for a while before
doing the test again, or is something wrong and should I take the head off
again now?

Cheers,
Dave

Old December 9th 04, 08:03 PM
Mike Romain

That's a bitch.....

I would take a couple tablespoons of oil and pour it into that cylinder,
then do another test.

If the compression comes up, your rings are bad. If the compression
stays low, you may as well pull the head because either that gasket is
no good or you have a burned valve.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 9th 04, 08:28 PM
Dave Skirrow

So, the fact that the temp is cold and there's no coolant or oil pressure
yet doesn't make too much difference to the test then?

Dave

Old December 9th 04, 08:30 PM
Dave Skirrow

The valve looked ok, hopefully I have just damaged the gasket when I put it
on or something. It wasn't even the cylinder that I was repairing.

Old December 9th 04, 08:47 PM
Chas Hurst

"Dave Skirrow" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just need a quick bit of advice. I have just refitted my cylinder head
> although I have not yet refilled the coolant or started the car.
>
> I decided to do a quick compression test to check everything was in order
> before I filled the coolant and so on.
>
> The first cylinder I checked showed very low pressure. (about 40psi)
> Bearing in mind that the oil pressure isn't up and the engine temp is

still
> stone cold, is this reading totally inaccurate.
>
> Is it worth me filling the coolant up and running the car for a while

before
> doing the test again, or is something wrong and should I take the head off
> again now?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Why was the head removed?

Old December 9th 04, 08:54 PM
Mike Romain

No, because you are comparing all the cylinders in the same state, cold
and dry. It is more how even they are vs how high they are at that
point.

The wet test tells a lot. You can do it in all the cylinders to see how
much they come up if any.

Mike

Old December 9th 04, 08:55 PM
Mike Romain

New rings usually need to seat in. Is that what you repaired and if so
how was that cylinder's compression?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 9th 04, 09:42 PM
ray

Dave Skirrow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just need a quick bit of advice. I have just refitted my cylinder head
> although I have not yet refilled the coolant or started the car.
>
> I decided to do a quick compression test to check everything was in order
> before I filled the coolant and so on.
>
> The first cylinder I checked showed very low pressure. (about 40psi)
> Bearing in mind that the oil pressure isn't up and the engine temp is still
> stone cold, is this reading totally inaccurate.
>
> Is it worth me filling the coolant up and running the car for a while before
> doing the test again, or is something wrong and should I take the head off
> again now?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Not knowing what kind of car or valvetrain - do you have the valves
adjusted properly? On my Camaro with a small block chevy, the lash on
one of the valves had been "adjusted" so far that there was zero
compression. Amazingly enough, the motor ran fine - I thought I broke
my tester. Backed off the lash and reset it and got 150 psi.

(I was checking compression before the first race with the car.)

Ray
Old December 9th 04, 11:10 PM
Mike Romain

ray wrote:

> Dave Skirrow wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just need a quick bit of advice. I have just refitted my cylinder head
> > although I have not yet refilled the coolant or started the car.
> >
> > I decided to do a quick compression test to check everything was in order
> > before I filled the coolant and so on.
> >
> > The first cylinder I checked showed very low pressure. (about 40psi)
> > Bearing in mind that the oil pressure isn't up and the engine temp is still
> > stone cold, is this reading totally inaccurate.
> >
> > Is it worth me filling the coolant up and running the car for a while before
> > doing the test again, or is something wrong and should I take the head off
> > again now?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
> >

> Not knowing what kind of car or valvetrain - do you have the valves
> adjusted properly? On my Camaro with a small block chevy, the lash on
> one of the valves had been "adjusted" so far that there was zero
> compression. Amazingly enough, the motor ran fine - I thought I broke
> my tester. Backed off the lash and reset it and got 150 psi.
>
> (I was checking compression before the first race with the car.)
>
> Ray

Good point, I also have seen zero with a hydraulic because the push rod
wasn't centered in the lifter.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old December 10th 04, 12:35 AM
Anthony

Mike Romain > wrote in
:

If there is no oil in the lifters....the valves won't open to the proper
dimension, hence cutting off airflow to the cylinder.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Compression test question Kevin S Jeep 3 December 22nd 04 11:46 PM
How do I perform a "Current load test"? tuko Saturn 10 October 21st 04 10:54 PM
Dumb question regarding compression test on Audi a4 1.8t G Audi 5 June 23rd 04 06:47 PM
HELP! 88 Suzuki Samurai Won't pass emissions test BIG TIME! xyzzy 4x4 8 April 1st 04 05:48 PM