2003 Honda Accord battery

Old April 18th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Rudy[_2_]

Default 2003 Honda Accord battery

My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
years.

Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
(forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.

If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?
Old April 18th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Buy a multimeter for under $20 at your local auto parts
store or Wal-Mart, and do the five quick checks listed about
the middle of
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id13.html . Read
the rest of the site. Report back.

I think pre-emptive battery replacements will tend to
lengthen the life of the alternator.

<Rudy> wrote

Old April 18th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

Rudy wrote:
> My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
> see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
> years.
>
> Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
> told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
> not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
> top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
> (forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
> the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
> days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.
>
> If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
> car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
> and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
> suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

The eye is a state of charge indicator. Get a small automatic charger
and charge the battery overnight. Do not use a "manual" charger. Make
sure it is the kind of charger which shuts itself off when done. It is
possible that your short trip regimen is not getting the battery fully
charged back up. If the eye turns green after a full charge and the
car is starting well then you probably do not need a new battery. An
example charger is this one from Sears:

DieHard 10/2/50 amp. Automatic Battery Charger
Sears item #02871222000 Mfr. model #71222
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...=2.56&fmt=jpeg

Honda US sources it's batteries from Johnson Controls and the Japanese
made Honda batteries I have seen say Panasonic on them. Interestingly
enough, the green eye technology was an AC-Delco patented invention way
back when, but I think Johnson bought the AC-Delco battery business from
Delphi after GM kicked it's parts making division to the curb.
Old April 18th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
JXStern

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:04:48 -0500, Rudy wrote:

>suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

If you have to ask, of course the answer is yes! Maybe you'll waste
$5.00 by buying it too early, but is it worth an afternoon of
diagnostics to find out?

J.

Old April 18th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Rudy wrote:
> My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
> see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
> years.

---------------------------------

You said it yourself. The battery is due for replacement. Is it worth
the price of walking down the highway in a rainstorm?

'Curly'
Old April 18th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
N.E.Ohio Bob

Rudy wrote:
> My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
> see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
> years.
>
> Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
> told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
> not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
> top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
> (forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
> the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
> days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.
>
> If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
> car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
> and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
> suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

I just put in a new one every five years. Been my rule since 1975. bob
Old April 19th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Art[_1_]

My battery on a Chrysler 300M was over 6 years old when I replaced it. I
live in NC. It was still going strong and most people would have let it be.
Batteries can die instantly from an internal short even when new.

Old April 19th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Paul.

I wish my batteries would last five years. Here in Phoenix, the summer heat
really kills a battery. My average life for a battery is 4 years and that's
good around here. When I lived in the cold cruel north, battery life was 8+
years. I do take good care of my batteries. Watered and cleaned regularly.

Paul.
5 cars/trucks
3 motorcycles

Old April 19th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Michael Pardee

"Paul." > wrote in message
>I wish my batteries would last five years. Here in Phoenix, the summer
>heat really kills a battery. My average life for a battery is 4 years and
>that's good around here. When I lived in the cold cruel north, battery
>life was 8+ years. I do take good care of my batteries. Watered and
>cleaned regularly.
>
> Paul.
> 5 cars/trucks
> 3 motorcycles

I was thinking the same thing! I lived 26 years in Phoenix and never had a
battery last three summers.

Mike