Best washer fluid for insect splats?

Old April 15th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Best washer fluid for insect splats?

I do alot of summer driving through insect infested highways.
The standard bug wash doesnt seem to work effectively enough.
Is there a better product or homemade concoction that works better?
Thanks

Old April 16th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I do alot of summer driving through insect infested highways.
> The standard bug wash doesnt seem to work effectively enough.
> Is there a better product or homemade concoction that works better?
> Thanks

I dont know of any that are really effective. Warm water with a decent car
wash soap
will get it, if you give it time to soak and are patient.

I have always suspected that an enzyme based compound might make it go a
little
quicker, but havent experimented with it.

Dried bugs are somewhat like dried nasal mucous. Warm water and time will
do it.

Old April 16th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Dave L

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I do alot of summer driving through insect infested highways.
> The standard bug wash doesnt seem to work effectively enough.
> Is there a better product or homemade concoction that works better?
> Thanks

If you're speaking of the windshield washer fluid in the car, I think I've
seen some auto stores carry a formula made for cleaning bugs. I've never
tried it but it's worth checking out.

-Dave

Old April 16th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Dave L" > wrote in message
> If you're speaking of the windshield washer fluid in the car, I think I've
> seen some auto stores carry a formula made for cleaning bugs. I've never
> tried it but it's worth checking out.

I have tried it... Works similarly to water ;>)

Old April 16th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bob M.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I do alot of summer driving through insect infested highways.
> The standard bug wash doesnt seem to work effectively enough.
> Is there a better product or homemade concoction that works better?
> Thanks

Best thing to do is clean the windshield with Bon-Ami or similar product,
then apply Rain-X (the clear watery stuff, not the windshield washer fluid,
which is pink). Rain-X is basically a glass wax; it fills in the
microscopic pores in the glass. This is why the water just beads up & rolls
off. It also prevents bugs from sticking. You will not end up with a 100%
bug-free windshield, just fewer of them, and those that do stick will come
off easier. Rain-X also makes it easier to scrape ice off when that time
gets here. Tip - don't use it on clear plastic headlights; they will no
longer be crystal clear. It's for glass only.

The down-side with Rain-X is that it needs to be reapplied every few months.
It doesn't do away with the need for wipers. Maybe the Rain-X washer fluid,
used after the glass is treated with the regular Rain-X, is the way to go.

Old April 16th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Tegger

> wrote in
. net:

> "Dave L" > wrote in message
>> If you're speaking of the windshield washer fluid in the car, I think
>> I've seen some auto stores carry a formula made for cleaning bugs.
>> I've never tried it but it's worth checking out.

> I have tried it... Works similarly to water ;>)

Bugwash is ****. A total waste of money.

Even worse, it's so low in alcohol that it'll freeze up the first time
temps get below 30, so you can't use it past early fall.

--
Tegger

Old April 16th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

On Apr 15, 6:35 pm, wrote:
> I do alot of summer driving through insect infested highways.
> The standard bug wash doesnt seem to work effectively enough.
> Is there a better product or homemade concoction that works better?
> Thanks

Cola is extremely useful for the hand scrub, usually executed in the
driveway. I've never found an in-car washer fluid that washes well,
so I tend to focus on the ice melting abilities in the winter and run
whatever's cheap in the summer.