looking for advice on Honda CRV air cinditioning fan not working

Old April 11th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
twofake

Default looking for advice on Honda CRV air cinditioning fan not working

Hi everyone,
Could someone out ther ehelp me to locate where the problem exists
that makes my inside cabin fan not work at all.Yes this means that
there is also no air conditioning function.When the lower right (fan)
knob is turned, nothing happens at all.There are no blown
fuses.Someone suggested to check "the ballast resistor or coils or
transistor" but they did not specify where these are found.
Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

Old April 11th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

twofake wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Could someone out ther ehelp me to locate where the problem exists
> that makes my inside cabin fan not work at all.Yes this means that
> there is also no air conditioning function.When the lower right (fan)
> knob is turned, nothing happens at all.There are no blown
> fuses.Someone suggested to check "the ballast resistor or coils or
> transistor" but they did not specify where these are found.
> Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

------------------------------------

You haven't provided any details (but it's Psychic Wednesday) so start
by looking he
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...ght=transistor

Sign in and SEARCH, since it's been covered many times already. If it's
not working even if you turn it all the way until you hear the 'click',
it's probably not the transistor (but we don't know what model / year /
market you're asking for help on).

'Curly'
Old April 12th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
twofake

On Apr 12, 2:00 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> twofake wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Could someone out ther ehelp me to locate where the problem exists
> > that makes my inside cabin fan not work at all.Yes this means that
> > there is also no air conditioning function.When the lower right (fan)
> > knob is turned, nothing happens at all.There are no blown
> > fuses.Someone suggested to check "the ballast resistor or coils or
> > transistor" but they did not specify where these are found.
> > Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

> ------------------------------------
>
> You haven't provided any details (but it's Psychic Wednesday) so start
> by looking he
> http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...ighlight=trans...
>
> Sign in and SEARCH, since it's been covered many times already. If it's
> not working even if you turn it all the way until you hear the 'click',
> it's probably not the transistor (but we don't know what model / year /
> market you're asking for help on).
>
> 'Curly'

Sorry Curly,
You are right. I just realised that I did not provide any details. The
model is CRV for the Australian market. The year is 2002.

Old April 12th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
twofake

On Apr 12, 2:00 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> twofake wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Could someone out ther ehelp me to locate where the problem exists
> > that makes my inside cabin fan not work at all.Yes this means that
> > there is also no air conditioning function.When the lower right (fan)
> > knob is turned, nothing happens at all.There are no blown
> > fuses.Someone suggested to check "the ballast resistor or coils or
> > transistor" but they did not specify where these are found.
> > Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

> ------------------------------------
>
> You haven't provided any details (but it's Psychic Wednesday) so start
> by looking he
> http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...ighlight=trans...
>
> Sign in and SEARCH, since it's been covered many times already. If it's
> not working even if you turn it all the way until you hear the 'click',
> it's probably not the transistor (but we don't know what model / year /
> market you're asking for help on).
>
> 'Curly'

Hi again Curly,
I read the article in Honda SUV called "Heater/AC fan only works on
high speed " with interest.The difference here is that the heater knob
does nothing in any positions (not even fully to the right).I have
never had any water leak problems either.If water is leaking into the
area, will it always reach the carpet?I had a look at the San Leandro
Honda parts site and coudn't work out where the transistor is in their
diagram.Is it the part labelled "8" in diagram on the following page?
http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...ViewParts=true

Old April 12th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

twofake wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2:00 am, motsco_ > wrote:
>> twofake wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> Could someone out ther ehelp me to locate where the problem exists
>>> that makes my inside cabin fan not work at all.Yes this means that
>>> there is also no air conditioning function.When the lower right (fan)
>>> knob is turned, nothing happens at all.There are no blown
>>> fuses.Someone suggested to check "the ballast resistor or coils or
>>> transistor" but they did not specify where these are found.
>>> Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> You haven't provided any details (but it's Psychic Wednesday) so start
>> by looking he
>> http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...ighlight=trans...
>>
>> Sign in and SEARCH, since it's been covered many times already. If it's
>> not working even if you turn it all the way until you hear the 'click',
>> it's probably not the transistor (but we don't know what model / year /
>> market you're asking for help on).
>>
>> 'Curly'

> Hi again Curly,
> I read the article in Honda SUV called "Heater/AC fan only works on
> high speed " with interest.The difference here is that the heater knob
> does nothing in any positions (not even fully to the right).I have
> never had any water leak problems either.If water is leaking into the
> area, will it always reach the carpet?I had a look at the San Leandro
> Honda parts site and coudn't work out where the transistor is in their
> diagram.Is it the part labelled "8" in diagram on the following page?
> http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...ViewParts=true

------------------------------------

Put your cursor on part number 8 and you can go to the parts list, or
right-click and 'Open in a new TAB'.

There may not be a high speed (overide) switch on your CR-V, since it's
a Gen II. Just drop your glove box (as if you were changing your Cabin
Filter) and you can unplug and jumper the transistor. Fan should run
full speed. If you have terribly high mileage (it's good to mention that
too), it might be the fan motor instead. Sign in and SEARCH at
www.hondasuv.com if you want to access all the threads about heater
troubleshooting. Change your Cabin Filter if you haven't done so lately.

'Curly'
Old April 14th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
twofake

On Apr 13, 12:52 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> twofake wrote:
> >> ------------------------------------

> >> You haven't provided any details (but it's Psychic Wednesday) so start
> >> by looking he
> >> http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...ighlight=trans...

> >> Sign in and SEARCH, since it's been covered many times already. If it's
> >> not working even if you turn it all the way until you hear the 'click',
> >> it's probably not the transistor (but we don't know what model / year /
> >> market you're asking for help on).

> >> 'Curly'

> > Hi again Curly,
> > I read the article in Honda SUV called "Heater/AC fan only works on
> > high speed " with interest.The difference here is that the heater knob
> > does nothing in any positions (not even fully to the right).I have
> > never had any water leak problems either.If water is leaking into the
> > area, will it always reach the carpet?I had a look at the San Leandro
> > Honda parts site and coudn't work out where the transistor is in their
> > diagram.Is it the part labelled "8" in diagram on the following page?
> >http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...r=2002&TrimLev...

> ------------------------------------
>
> Put your cursor on part number 8 and you can go to the parts list, or
> right-click and 'Open in a new TAB'.
>
> There may not be a high speed (overide) switch on your CR-V, since it's
> a Gen II. Just drop your glove box (as if you were changing your Cabin
> Filter) and you can unplug and jumper the transistor. Fan should run
> full speed. If you have terribly high mileage (it's good to mention that
> too), it might be the fan motor instead. Sign in and SEARCH atwww.hondasuv.comif you want to access all the threads about heater
> troubleshooting. Change your Cabin Filter if you haven't done so lately.
>
> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Curly,
I have located the transistor. Can you tell me how I "jumper the
transistor"?There are 4 wires that go to the transistor so when I
unplg it, which wires do I jump across?Hey some interesting info for
you, I took the cabin filter trays out and the filters are gone! I
rang an auto guy who told me that for the Australian market, there are
no filters at all.Yes they have empty trays?Tomorrow, I have arranged
to vist a friend who has a working CRV so I can swap their transistor
to see if that works so I'll keep you all posted.

Old April 14th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

twofake wrote:
> On Apr 13, 12:52 am, motsco_ > wrote:
>> twofake wrote:
>>> Hi again Curly,
>>> I read the article in Honda SUV called "Heater/AC fan only works on
>>> high speed " with interest.The difference here is that the heater knob
>>> does nothing in any positions (not even fully to the right).I have
>>> never had any water leak problems either.If water is leaking into the
>>> area, will it always reach the carpet?I had a look at the San Leandro
>>> Honda parts site and coudn't work out where the transistor is in their
>>> diagram.Is it the part labelled "8" in diagram on the following page?
>>> http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...r=2002&TrimLev...

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Put your cursor on part number 8 and you can go to the parts list, or
>> right-click and 'Open in a new TAB'.
>>
>> There may not be a high speed (overide) switch on your CR-V, since it's
>> a Gen II. Just drop your glove box (as if you were changing your Cabin
>> Filter) and you can unplug and jumper the transistor. Fan should run
>> full speed. If you have terribly high mileage (it's good to mention that
>> too), it might be the fan motor instead. Sign in and SEARCH atwww.hondasuv.comif you want to access all the threads about heater
>> troubleshooting. Change your Cabin Filter if you haven't done so lately.
>>
>> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks Curly,
> I have located the transistor. Can you tell me how I "jumper the
> transistor"?There are 4 wires that go to the transistor so when I
> unplg it, which wires do I jump across?Hey some interesting info for
> you, I took the cabin filter trays out and the filters are gone! I
> rang an auto guy who told me that for the Australian market, there are
> no filters at all.Yes they have empty trays?Tomorrow, I have arranged
> to vist a friend who has a working CRV so I can swap their transistor
> to see if that works so I'll keep you all posted.

--------------------------

You'll be an expert by the time you get it fixed. Good for you. :-)

'Curly'
Old April 15th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
twofake

On Apr 14, 11:29 pm, motsco_ > wrote:
> twofake wrote:
> >> ------------------------------------

> >> Put your cursor on part number 8 and you can go to the parts list, or
> >> right-click and 'Open in a new TAB'.

> >> There may not be a high speed (overide) switch on your CR-V, since it's
> >> a Gen II. Just drop your glove box (as if you were changing your Cabin
> >> Filter) and you can unplug and jumper the transistor. Fan should run
> >> full speed. If you have terribly high mileage (it's good to mention that
> >> too), it might be the fan motor instead. Sign in and SEARCH atwww.hondasuv.comifyou want to access all the threads about heater
> >> troubleshooting. Change your Cabin Filter if you haven't done so lately.

> >> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks Curly,
> > I have located the transistor. Can you tell me how I "jumper the
> > transistor"?There are 4 wires that go to the transistor so when I
> > unplg it, which wires do I jump across?Hey some interesting info for
> > you, I took the cabin filter trays out and the filters are gone! I
> > rang an auto guy who told me that for the Australian market, there are
> > no filters at all.Yes they have empty trays?Tomorrow, I have arranged
> > to vist a friend who has a working CRV so I can swap their transistor
> > to see if that works so I'll keep you all posted.

> --------------------------
>
> You'll be an expert by the time you get it fixed. Good for you. :-)
>
> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

OK I have returned from my friend's place and did a swap of their
transistor and YES it worked so that means that part is faulty. I will
make enquiries about replacements :a)new , b) from auto wreckers and
c)I'll look into actually replacing the transistor inside the unit.
Out of interest, can you still tell me how to "jumper the transistor"
for future tests please?

Old April 15th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

twofake wrote:
> On Apr 14, 11:29 pm, motsco_ > wrote:
>> twofake wrote:
>>> Thanks Curly,
>>> I have located the transistor. Can you tell me how I "jumper the
>>> transistor"?There are 4 wires that go to the transistor so when I
>>> unplg it, which wires do I jump across?Hey some interesting info for
>>> you, I took the cabin filter trays out and the filters are gone! I
>>> rang an auto guy who told me that for the Australian market, there are
>>> no filters at all.Yes they have empty trays?Tomorrow, I have arranged
>>> to vist a friend who has a working CRV so I can swap their transistor
>>> to see if that works so I'll keep you all posted.

>> --------------------------
>>
>> You'll be an expert by the time you get it fixed. Good for you. :-)
>>
>> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

> OK I have returned from my friend's place and did a swap of their
> transistor and YES it worked so that means that part is faulty. I will
> make enquiries about replacements :a)new , b) from auto wreckers and
> c)I'll look into actually replacing the transistor inside the unit.
> Out of interest, can you still tell me how to "jumper the transistor"
> for future tests please?

--------------------------

Since I didn't realize there were four wires and I don't own the manuals
for a Gen II, I wouldn't be much help, sorry.

Same topic: Did you find any evidence that there had ever been any
entrance of water in that part of the heater? The gen 1 is notorious for
wet carpet on the passengers side, which eventually wrecks the
transistor also.

'Curly'
Old April 16th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
twofake

On Apr 16, 1:59 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> twofake wrote:
> >> --------------------------

> >> You'll be an expert by the time you get it fixed. Good for you. :-)

> >> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

> > OK I have returned from my friend's place and did a swap of their
> > transistor and YES it worked so that means that part is faulty. I will
> > make enquiries about replacements :a)new , b) from auto wreckers and
> > c)I'll look into actually replacing the transistor inside the unit.
> > Out of interest, can you still tell me how to "jumper the transistor"
> > for future tests please?

> --------------------------
>
> Since I didn't realize there were four wires and I don't own the manuals
> for a Gen II, I wouldn't be much help, sorry.
>
> Same topic: Did you find any evidence that there had ever been any
> entrance of water in that part of the heater? The gen 1 is notorious for
> wet carpet on the passengers side, which eventually wrecks the
> transistor also.
>
> 'Curly'- Hide quoted text -

I did not see any evidence of water entry BUT my wife says that when
the air blower died, it had just been raining.ALSO, the friend who let
me test their "transistor" says she has had intermittent problems
after rain so maybe I had better look into sealing where ever I am
supposed to .I did read that link you sent about sealing the Gen1 CRV
but have not looked at ours yet.I looked into replacing the actual
transistor inside the Honda device but as yet, have not found a
source for this part in Australia. It is a Toshiba 2SK2313 N channel
FET.