How do I change my transmission fluid?

Old March 9th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
phaser

Default How do I change my transmission fluid?

Can anyone tell me how to drain the tranny fluid myself? Where is the
drain plug? Do I need a crush washer?

2002 V6 Accord 35k

Thanks.

Old March 9th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ass

Dill a 1/2 inch hole at the bottom.
Old March 10th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

phaser wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to drain the tranny fluid myself? Where is the
> drain plug? Do I need a crush washer?
>
> 2002 V6 Accord 35k
>
> Thanks.

------------------------------

www.slhondaparts.com has your diagrams and part #s.

Use a 3/8 socket HANDLE without socket, normal thread. Make sure to
remove fill plug (dipstick) and tranny should be warmed up just before
draining. Use ONLY Honda Z1 fluid, and do it three times (weekends) or
run it through all the gears between drains. Magnet will be heavily
coated and drain bolt will be VERY tight first time (nobody knows why).

'Curly'
Old March 14th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

As Curly mentions, when you take the bolt off you need wipe off all of
the metal goo that is attached to the bolt. Also replace the crush
washer and use a pole if you need extra leverage (I end up always
needing it). I just believe that it may be overkill to replace the
fluid three times. I doubt most Hondas out on the road that have over
150k miles baby their cars as we do and they are still fine. I would
change it once wait a week and do it again and that's it.

Nick

Old March 14th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 9, 1:14 am, "phaser" > wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to drain the tranny fluid myself? Where is the
> drain plug? Do I need a crush washer?
>
> 2002 V6 Accord 35k
>
> Thanks.

Must use Honda's Z1 fluid. Change once now. Look at the fluid after
driving to mix. If it still looks bad (or worse, smells cooked),
change again. If not, then go to a 15,000 mile schedule. The "change
three times" deal is overkill for most people. Would recommend it
though, if you do a hellacious amount of stop n go in hot
temperatures.

The crush washer is probably 18mm like on 7th generation Accords.
As I recall, older models (my old '90 Integra) used the same 14mm as
the engine oil drain.

Old March 20th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John[_25_]

Thanks all!

Old March 21st 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Nick > wrote in news:rqsev2drfrgpbu2u36j6qc9qu9nftplq7o@
4ax.com:

> As Curly mentions, when you take the bolt off you need wipe off all of
> the metal goo that is attached to the bolt. Also replace the crush
> washer and use a pole if you need extra leverage (I end up always
> needing it). I just believe that it may be overkill to replace the
> fluid three times.

That is the factory specification. You only get some of the fluid out with
each drain.

You need to drive the car a hundred yards or so between drains to exchange
the fluid that's stuck in the torque converter.

If you regularly do a drain/fill two or three times a year, you can get
away with doing only one drain/fill each time.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 22nd 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in :

> In article >,
> Tegger > wrote:
>
>> > As Curly mentions, when you take the bolt off you need wipe off all of
>> > the metal goo that is attached to the bolt. Also replace the crush
>> > washer and use a pole if you need extra leverage (I end up always
>> > needing it). I just believe that it may be overkill to replace the
>> > fluid three times.

>> That is the factory specification.

> For a full exchange, that's the factory specification (as opposed to a
> "flush" which is not recommended under any circumstances).

I've recently been following a couple of highly interesting threads
in rec.autos.tech.

In that group, a working tech with lots of transmission experience
described the flush procedure, plus his many observations of
disassembled transmissions.

1) A "flush" is not what I was thinking it was.
2) Sludge does not build up inside the valve body or shift valves.

Conclusion: The prohibition on "flushing" is "Internet wisdom".
There is nothing wrong with a "flush" as routinely performed by garages.

Check out this thread:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.tech/browse_frm/thread/ff3d521790590332/b9c3aacf10b40f6d?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#b9c3aacf10b40f6d >

Look for posts in that thread by:
shiden_kai

Old March 22nd 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in :

>>>That is the factory specification.

>>For a full exchange, that's the factory specification (as opposed to a
>>"flush" which is not recommended under any circumstances).

> I've recently been following a couple of highly interesting threads
> in rec.autos.tech.
>
> In that group, a working tech with lots of transmission experience
> described the flush procedure, plus his many observations of
> disassembled transmissions.
>
> 1) A "flush" is not what I was thinking it was.
> 2) Sludge does not build up inside the valve body or shift valves.
>
> Conclusion: The prohibition on "flushing" is "Internet wisdom".
> There is nothing wrong with a "flush" as routinely performed by garages.
>
> Check out this thread:
> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.tech/browse_frm/thread/ff3d521790590332/b9c3aacf10b40f6d?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#b9c3aacf10b40f6d >
>
> Look for posts in that thread by:
> shiden_kai

A local independent garage that specializes in Hondas has been
"flushing" automatics for years without problems.

Interesting read!

JT

Old March 22nd 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> Tegger > wrote:
>

>>Conclusion: The prohibition on "flushing" is "Internet wisdom".
>>There is nothing wrong with a "flush" as routinely performed by garages.

> Except that Honda specifies only multiple drain/fill/drive cycle to
> replace the fluid as completely as possible (if that's your goal), and
> not any kind of a flush.
>
> It's not Internet wisdom; it's Honda engineers.
>
> I'll take the Honda engineer wisdom any day over "some tech who does a
> bunch of tranny work".

I dunno... It also ensures that Honda will sell three time as much oil
as would be needed in a conventional system that has a drain plug on the
converter where most of the fluid resides. Utter cheapness on Honda's
part, (bean counter engineering), IMNSHO.. Also, as I stated in
another post, an independent shop that specializes in Hondas near me has
been "flushing" automatics for years without incident.

JT