CHEATED? $500 to replace ignition switch, part $30, $470 for labor and code reading etc

Old June 21st 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe Mexico

Default CHEATED? $500 to replace ignition switch, part $30, $470 for labor and code reading etc

hello,

here in Honolulu, @ the saturn dealer.......

I'm thinking i've been cheated, granted i agreed to pay the $130 to
have saturn diagnose that i had an ignition switch code

and then they apply the $130 towards the $500 repair, however why
should 1-2 hours of ignition switch labor and recoding the 'security
system' cost $470

i was already in for the $130 and had no idea what it should cost.
so, felt i had to agree.

i understand there may be some recall, though they told me there was
not.
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/53/035325iV.html

CAN anyone shed some light on what the heck is going on or RIGHT?

Thx in advance.

Old June 22nd 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

Shorter subject lines please.

> I'm thinking i've been cheated, granted i agreed to pay the $130 to
> have saturn diagnose that i had an ignition switch code

Code reading can be done for free, "diagnosing" beyond that is not free.
Diagnosing cost can vary greatly.

> and then they apply the $130 towards the $500 repair, however why
> should 1-2 hours of ignition switch labor and recoding the 'security
> system' cost $470

I have NO idea what they are charging you for without a invoice or
quote.

Ignition switch $30-$40 bucks
Labor 1.3hrs
Reprograming the BCM is about 0.3hrs IIRC

> i was already in for the $130 and had no idea what it should cost.
> so, felt i had to agree.

......Ask for an printed quotes.....Shop around.....Avoid verbal
agreements....They do hold up in court....

> i understand there may be some recall, though they told me there was
> not.
> http://www.alldata.com/TSB/53/035325iV.html

TSB's and Recalls are two different things.

> my understanding is that they had to reprogram the computer and that
> had i taken it to another shop to change the ignition
> they may not THEN have been able to complete the reprogramming, not
> having the dealer's tools

Anyone with a Tech 2 w/SPS or probably even a OTC Genisys with GM's SPS
programing software can reprogram a GM car. Every real GM dealer will
have at least one tech 2 and I'm sure you have some other GM dealers out
there.

> so, if the per hour rate is $150/hr, then $450 could have been about
> right ; this is definitely not a job i could do myself, e.g.
> reprogramming the computer etc

I do NOT know what the average labor rate out there is but the Pontiac
dealer here charges about $68 bucks an hour and Toyota dealers are
usually around $90 bucks or better. I'm sure it's high on an Island out
in the middle of no where.

Ok you found something, was 04-08-45-005D your problem? You didn't say
in your drive by.
> http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...turn&model=Ion

"An occasional problem with this vehicle is a failed Ignition Switch and
a failed Body Control Module (BCM). These failures will prevent the
engine from starting. Refer to TSB #04-08-45-005D for further
information. The cost to replace the Ignition Switch is $37.09 for the
part and $65.00 for the labor. The cost to replace the BCM is $364.91
for the part and $84.50 for the labor. All prices are estimates based on
$65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or
applicable taxes."

(sets codes B2960 and/or B3033)

Again I dont know what the going labor rates are in Hawaii but unless
they also "replaced" the BCM (which you dont say) it all seems high to
me. My estimates at $65 dollars an hour, with an hour of diagnostic
time, puts everything just under 200 bucks... With BCM, as mentioned
above, add about $450. It's possible they done the switch first for $130
then when that didn't work they done the BCM next. I say they should of
been familiar enough with the problem that they "could" have done just
that.
Old June 22nd 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

BläBlä wrote:

> I do NOT know what the average labor rate out there is but the Pontiac
> dealer here charges about $68 bucks an hour and Toyota dealers are
> usually around $90 bucks or better.

I want to live where you do!

Saturn dealers are $125/hr here. Kia is 119/hr.

--
Kevin M. Keller
Director, News & Promotions
Old January 8th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
hackamore

Default CHEATED?

Joe Mexico wrote:
> hello,
>
> here in Honolulu, @ the saturn dealer.......
>

> I'm thinking i've been cheated, granted i agreed to pay the $130 to
> have saturn diagnose that i had an ignition switch code
>
> and then they apply the $130 towards the $500 repair, however why
> should 1-2 hours of ignition switch labor and recoding the 'security
> system' cost $470
>
> i was already in for the $130 and had no idea what it should cost.
> so, felt i had to agree.
>
> i understand there may be some recall, though they told me there was
> not.
> http://www.alldata.com/TSB/53/035325iV.html
>

> CAN anyone shed some light on what the heck is going on or RIGHT?
>
> Thx in advance.

Hi,

nothing is going right at Saturn these days.

it's gone from The Saturn Experience where the customer was treated well
to just another car company out to rip the customer for all they can.

I'm looking for an SWP for a parts car myself (I've got an SWP and like
it's uniqueness) but for a driver I'm looking for a good US made
pre-emissions points and coil manual transmission car... preferably a 6
but a 283/289 would work.

ttyl

akia

--