Oil question What the manual says, vs. what Dad says.

Old October 22nd 04, 02:47 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
(Mark) wrote:

> After putting the Frantz on my Saturn, the motor oil no longer
> turns black from all the soot. The oil burning issue is indiscernible
> - always stays at the same level on the dipstick. Even after 10k
> miles without oil changes I have not found the slightest oil burning.

Wow. I sure wouldn't go 10,000 between changes no matter what. Oil's
pretty much shot by that point. It's not just an issue of dirty, it's
an issue of it breaking down on a chemical level...
Old October 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
BANDIT2941

> You don't have any proof of this. Your idea of clean oil is oil
>that gets dirty withing a few hundred miles of driving.

I EXPERIENCED it. I HAVE PROOF. I KNOW that it burned the same amount, qt/250
mi, on brand new oil! It doesn't matter how new the oil is if your oil control
rings are stuck!!! Think about it!!

>experienced clean oil, at least not for a relevant amount of time.
>Motor oil in a Saturn turns black within only the first 500-1k miles
>after an oil change. Plus you have lots of engine deposits that don't
>come out with a simple flush or oil change. The only way you will
>notice a difference in oil consumption is if you either don't drive it
>or install a filter that takes care of the majority of particles that
>affect the engine. These particles will also cause the most wear
>since they get inbetween moving parts. When oil is dirty, piston
>rings expand, valve seals lose their seal.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about since you quote "piston
rings expand" when oil gets dirty.

> Imagine someone is driving 70 MPH on the freeway. For the Saturn,
>this is equivalent to about 2800 rpm. It will take you
>3000miles/(70mph) = 42.8 hours to get 3k miles. This means that the
>number of revolutions that your engine completes in 3k miles is
>(2800rpm) * (60min/hour) * (42.8 hours) = 7.19 million revolutions.
>This is assuming that the car travels at a constant speed w/o
>hills/accelerating.

And your point is?

> Even after 10k
>miles without oil changes I have not found the slightest oil burning.
>It also doesn't give the bad oil smell on hard acceleration and during
>bumper-to-bumper traffic when the engine is very hot.

Yeah, and neither does mine. You still haven't proven that it stops oil
burning. Why? Because it doesn't.

Old October 23rd 04, 04:54 PM
BANDIT2941

>Wow. I sure wouldn't go 10,000 between changes no matter what. Oil's
>pretty much shot by that point. It's not just an issue of dirty, it's
>an issue of it breaking down on a chemical level...

Thats what I'm saying! I think I said that a few posts up. He said he'd go
25,000 miles. It doesn't matter how dirty the oil is, when the chemical bonds
break down.
Old October 24th 04, 06:45 AM
Dan Duncan

Mark > wrote:
> Dan Duncan > wrote in message >...
> > Mark > wrote:
> > > So after I had a second engine put in the car I searched for best ways
> > > to treat the Saturn. I found out about bypass filters, these
> > > secondary filters that are so thick that they remove particles much
> > > smaller and more effectively than the OEM filter can. The government
> > > did and is doing tests on these filters and find them excellent. I
> > > decided to install the Frantz filter made by www.wefilterit.com. Not
> > > only does the filter eliminate engine wear providing 2-3x longer
> > > engine life (proven by the SAE), it also helps the moving engine
> > > components to seat properly and thus will lower oil consumption. In
> > > fact my engine now has eliminated the oil burning completely!

> > Did the new engine burn any oil before you put this kit on it?

> The second engine had 40k miles when it was put in and yes it burned a
> quart every 2-3k miles. AFAIK, all older unmodified Saturns with the
> 1.9L burn oil.

Why did you put a 40k mile oil-burning engine in instead of a rebuild?

> > > You may
> > > not believe me but the only remedy is to prove to yourself by doing a
> > > little research on the internet. And if you are so inclined it takes
> > > about a couple days of planning and 2-3 days of work. The effort is
> > > worth it because in the end you get a cleaner/ quieter running engine
> > > and the peace of mind when it stops burning oil.

> > Where's the evidence this will make an engine STOP burning oil? The
> > evidence claims it may keep a good engine from developing an oil
> > burning problem.

> I have no evidence that it will STOP burning oil, only that it will
> help greatly reduce the oil burning.

Bull****.

You said "In fact my engine now has eliminated the oil burning
completely!" and "The effort is worth it because in the end you get
a cleaner/ quieter running engine and the peace of mind when it stops
burning oil."

You made the claim TWICE.

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# For those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they

Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM
re-posting manual trans question 93 325i Chris D'Agnolo BMW 0 November 26th 04 04:18 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM