2003 Honda Accord battery

Old April 19th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Michael Pardee

Default 2003 Honda Accord battery

"Art" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> My battery on a Chrysler 300M was over 6 years old when I replaced it. I
> live in NC. It was still going strong and most people would have let it
> be. Batteries can die instantly from an internal short even when new.

More common than an internal short is what I believe is a cracked internal
connection at one post or the other. The battery will suddenly seem dead or
nearly dead, but a judicious whack (or two or three) on each post with a
hammer will get it working again. The battery isn't fixed, just temporarily
patched. It is fairly common in the first year or two of a battery's life.

I taught the technique to my daughter, and she used it when I was out of
state and her mother's car died in traffic and wouldn't even click. She
scrounged a hammer out of the back of the car and did the trick. My wife was
astounded!

Mike

Old April 19th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
MLD

<Rudy> wrote in message ...
> My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
> see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
> years.
>
> Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
> told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
> not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
> top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
> (forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
> the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
> days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.
>
> If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
> car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
> and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
> suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

I had the "here today gone tomorrow, then back again" Green eye. I was told
that the Green eye is a measure of only one cell. It doesn't necessarily
mean that the battery is dead or needs replacement. The best way to judge
the battery's health is to get a shop to do a load test. Mine passed that
test. When it didn't, this past winter, I finally replaced it--can't
complain it lasted from Dec '99 to Jan '07
MLD

Old April 19th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
JXStern

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 05:54:09 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> wrote:

>More common than an internal short is what I believe is a cracked internal
>connection at one post or the other. The battery will suddenly seem dead or
>nearly dead, but a judicious whack (or two or three) on each post with a
>hammer will get it working again.

Works with pretty much everything!

If not, try again, harder.

That's life!

J.

Old April 19th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Rudy[_2_]

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:04:48 -0500, Rudy wrote:

>My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
>see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
>years.
>
>Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
>told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
>not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
>top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
>(forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
>the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
>days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.
>
>If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
>car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
>and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
>suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

As an update I decided to give the car a run of about 50 highway miles
(about 45 minutes at 70-80 mph). I then checked the battery and the
built in hydrometer had no change in the appearance and showed
insufficient charge (assuming it's working?? or 50 miles isn't
enough). I decided to replace the battery at Autozone and while there
asked if they can check the battery. Well guess what, his battery
tester showed it to have 13.96 volts (I thought 12 was the max??) so I
don't know if his tester was any good but his tester then showed Good
Battery on it. Well I decided to replace it anyway because I wasn't
sure about his test, it's at least 4 years old now and since I already
took it out of the car so why gamble for $65 (cost of new battery).
Anyway around here we usually get 3 to 4 years so even if this battery
is extraordinary, how much longer could it go before I get stuck on
the road.

Anyway thanks all for the advice.

ps-- I took my daughter's car (Corolla) for the same 50 mile run too
because her battery's hydrometer also showed insufficient charge but
upon arrival back home, the hydrometer changed to a good color to show
the battery was okay.
Old April 20th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Rudy[_2_]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:59:49 GMT, JXStern >
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 05:54:09 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> wrote:
>
>>More common than an internal short is what I believe is a cracked internal
>>connection at one post or the other. The battery will suddenly seem dead or
>>nearly dead, but a judicious whack (or two or three) on each post with a
>>hammer will get it working again.

>Works with pretty much everything!

Sometimes I'd like to try it on my teenagers or wife but I
refrain .

Old April 20th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
E Meyer

On 4/19/07 4:41 PM, in article ,
"Rudy" <Rudy> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:04:48 -0500, Rudy wrote:
>
>> My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
>> see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
>> years.
>>
>> Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
>> told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
>> not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
>> top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
>> (forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
>> the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
>> days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.
>>
>> If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
>> car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
>> and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
>> suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

> As an update I decided to give the car a run of about 50 highway miles
> (about 45 minutes at 70-80 mph). I then checked the battery and the
> built in hydrometer had no change in the appearance and showed
> insufficient charge (assuming it's working?? or 50 miles isn't
> enough). I decided to replace the battery at Autozone and while there
> asked if they can check the battery. Well guess what, his battery
> tester showed it to have 13.96 volts (I thought 12 was the max??)

They call it a 12 volt system (as opposed to 6 or 24), but it actually runs
at something in the vicinity of 14. A battery that only reads 12 volts is
usually all but dead. 13.9 is a reasonable reading for an OK battery almost
full charged.

Old April 21st 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

Rudy wrote:

> As an update I decided to give the car a run of about 50 highway miles
> (about 45 minutes at 70-80 mph). I then checked the battery and the
> built in hydrometer had no change in the appearance and showed
> insufficient charge (assuming it's working?? or 50 miles isn't
> enough). I decided to replace the battery at Autozone and while there
> asked if they can check the battery. Well guess what, his battery
> tester showed it to have 13.96 volts (I thought 12 was the max??) so I
> don't know if his tester was any good but his tester then showed Good
> Battery on it. Well I decided to replace it anyway because I wasn't
> sure about his test, it's at least 4 years old now and since I already
> took it out of the car so why gamble for $65 (cost of new battery).
> Anyway around here we usually get 3 to 4 years so even if this battery
> is extraordinary, how much longer could it go before I get stuck on
> the road.

You probably wasted your time and money, but no harm done.
Old April 21st 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Woody[_1_]

The last time I had one of those as soon as I hit the starter an internal
arc blew the top of the battery to smithereens. Acid went everywhere. Glad I
was in the car and not looking at the battery. Work safe and keep yourself
shielded from the battery.

Old April 21st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Rudy[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:07:51 GMT, John Horner >
wrote:

>Rudy wrote:
>

>> As an update I decided to give the car a run of about 50 highway miles
>> (about 45 minutes at 70-80 mph). I then checked the battery and the
>> built in hydrometer had no change in the appearance and showed
>> insufficient charge (assuming it's working?? or 50 miles isn't
>> enough). I decided to replace the battery at Autozone and while there
>> asked if they can check the battery. Well guess what, his battery
>> tester showed it to have 13.96 volts (I thought 12 was the max??) so I
>> don't know if his tester was any good but his tester then showed Good
>> Battery on it. Well I decided to replace it anyway because I wasn't
>> sure about his test, it's at least 4 years old now and since I already
>> took it out of the car so why gamble for $65 (cost of new battery).
>> Anyway around here we usually get 3 to 4 years so even if this battery
>> is extraordinary, how much longer could it go before I get stuck on
>> the road.
>>

>You probably wasted your time and money, but no harm done.

Agreed about the no harm done but for $65, it gives me peace of mind
too. Regardless of the test (assuming a good test???) it was a 4 year
old battery and around here, thats usually as good as it gets.