when to change timing belt

Old April 18th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alex Lee

Default when to change timing belt

Dear all:

My car is about 80,000 miles, civic 2002: the manaul recommends
110,000 for timing belt change, however I heard from someone to ignore
the recommendation and go ahead with at timing belt plus a tune up
before 80,000

-- since this is a very expensive investment I wanted to know what
other's have experience or recommend. I dont push my car very hard --
just normal day to day driving, so I dont think I fall under the
category of driving in "extreme conditions"

-- I tried going with just a tuneup but my mechanic tells me that
doing both at the same time would be cheaper then doing it one at a
time, thus I am left with a decision to make.

thanks in advance.

alex

Old April 18th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

Don't you think Honda engineers know better than "someone " who is living in
the past? Go by your users manual as it has a mileage and time
specification.

oups.com...

Old April 18th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jrk

"Woody" > wrote in message
. net...
> Don't you think Honda engineers know better than "someone " who is living
> in the past? Go by your users manual as it has a mileage and time
> specification.

Do you believe that the manual was written by engineers? My guess is that
the timing belt recommendations, as well as things like recommended
oil-change intervals, oil viscosity, fuel octane rating, etc. are as much
influenced by a desire to appear cheaper to maintain and operate as much as
protect the vehicle.

<snip>

Old April 19th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul.

Timing belts are lasting longer than they used to. Better belts, better
sprocket tolerances, better tensioning systems, who knows?

In the 90's the replacement interval went from 60,000 miles to 90,000 miles
and now up to 110,000 miles. While the interval is almost double of what it
used to be, when I changed my 2001 Toyota belt at 101,000 it looked great.
A little dry but no obvious distress.

Paul.

oups.com...

Old April 19th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Beaton

Alex Lee ) writes:
> Dear all:
>
> My car is about 80,000 miles, civic 2002: the manaul recommends
> 110,000 for timing belt change, however I heard from someone to ignore
> the recommendation and go ahead with at timing belt plus a tune up
> before 80,000

As others have noted, mileage and age both count, and the manual is
the best source of information.

> other's have experience or recommend. I dont push my car very hard --
> just normal day to day driving, so I dont think I fall under the
> category of driving in "extreme conditions"

Does "normal day to day" mean lots of short trips in city traffic?
If so, that would qualify as severe service.

> -- I tried going with just a tuneup but my mechanic tells me that
> doing both at the same time would be cheaper then doing it one at a
> time, thus I am left with a decision to make.

As the only common labor is bringing the car in and opening the hood,
I am hard-pressed to see how doing the two together would be cheaper.

If he had said 'timing belt and water pump', that would be a different
matter.

Dan

(This account is not used for email.)
Old April 19th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

The manuals are written by technical writers. The specifications are written
by engineers through the development of the product. Now get back on your
paranoia meds and go out and play with the other children.

"jrk" > wrote in message

> "Woody" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Don't you think Honda engineers know better than "someone " who is living
>> in the past? Go by your users manual as it has a mileage and time
>> specification.

> Do you believe that the manual was written by engineers? My guess is that
> the timing belt recommendations, as well as things like recommended
> oil-change intervals, oil viscosity, fuel octane rating, etc. are as much
> influenced by a desire to appear cheaper to maintain and operate as much
> as protect the vehicle.
>

> <snip>

always change your timing belt before this happens rob Auto Photos 264 April 18th 07 02:25 PM
Who has done their own timing belt change... bob Honda 11 January 2nd 06 10:34 PM
Timing belt - change or not Martik Technology 11 August 31st 05 12:28 AM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM
Timing Belt Change Mark Saturn 5 July 16th 04 07:19 PM