1997 Civic stalled while driving - Please help!

Old March 13th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1997 Civic stalled while driving - Please help!

I have a 1997 Civic EX that I've never had any problems with. (160K
miles, though nothing has even been replaced) Yesterday, though, I
was driving about 35-40 miles an hour, and getting reading to
downshift, and the engine suddenly stopped running!

The car would turn over, didn't respond to a jump, and also, a couple
of times, seemed to almost start (sputtered, coughed, and stalled
again)... It almost seemed as though the car had run out of gas.

The fuses are all fine... What could it be?
I'm even trying to figure out whether to get towed to my house (if
it's something I could fix myself) or to the shop.

ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated -- thanks!!!

Old March 13th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 13, 5:27 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:1173819072.737916.40520
> @e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>

> > I have a 1997 Civic EX that I've never had any problems with. (160K
> > miles, though nothing has even been replaced) Yesterday, though, I
> > was driving about 35-40 miles an hour, and getting reading to
> > downshift, and the engine suddenly stopped running!

> > The car would turn over, didn't respond to a jump, and also, a couple
> > of times, seemed to almost start (sputtered, coughed, and stalled
> > again)... It almost seemed as though the car had run out of gas.

> > The fuses are all fine... What could it be?
> > I'm even trying to figure out whether to get towed to my house (if
> > it's something I could fix myself) or to the shop.

> > ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated -- thanks!!!

> Check for spark. Coil or igniter is bad.http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...tml#checkspark
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

How could I see if it's the timing belt? Could it be that also? It's
never been replaced (and I was going to get it done the first week of
April! argh)

Old March 14th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in
oups.com:

> On Mar 13, 5:27 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> wrote in news:1173819072.737916.40520
>> @e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>>

>> > I have a 1997 Civic EX that I've never had any problems with.
>> > (160K miles, though nothing has even been replaced) Yesterday,
>> > though, I was driving about 35-40 miles an hour, and getting
>> > reading to downshift, and the engine suddenly stopped running!

>> > The car would turn over, didn't respond to a jump, and also, a
>> > couple of times, seemed to almost start (sputtered, coughed, and
>> > stalled again)... It almost seemed as though the car had run out
>> > of gas.

>> > The fuses are all fine... What could it be?
>> > I'm even trying to figure out whether to get towed to my house (if
>> > it's something I could fix myself) or to the shop.

>> > ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated -- thanks!!!

>> Check for spark. Coil or igniter is
>> bad.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...tml#checkspark

> How could I see if it's the timing belt? Could it be that also?

Highly unlikely to be the timing belt. Does the engine sound like it's
cranking a lot faster than normal?

To check: Remove the oil filler cap. Watch the cam lobes while a helper
cranks. If the cam lobes move, the belt's likely fine. Oil will splatter,
so don't wear an evening gown while you do this.

Old March 14th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 13, 8:05 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote groups.com:
>

> > On Mar 13, 5:27 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> >> wrote in news:1173819072.737916.40520
> >> @e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> >> Check for spark. Coil or igniter is
> >> bad.http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...tml#checkspark

> > How could I see if it's the timing belt? Could it be that also?

> Highly unlikely to be the timing belt. Does the engine sound like it's
> cranking a lot faster than normal?
>
> To check: Remove the oil filler cap. Watch the cam lobes while a helper
> cranks. If the cam lobes move, the belt's likely fine. Oil will splatter,
> so don't wear an evening gown while you do this.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Thank you SO much Tegger. Off to do this tonight actually, once I
catch a ride out to the car!

Old March 28th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

hey guys, i had found this new website http://tuningmyride.com/ u ask
any question or problem that you have with your car and they will
answer you with in 24 hours and its FREE!. thanks to them i found the
problem regarding my car.