About the 7.5" axle

Old June 24th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

Default About the 7.5" axle

I'm getting tired of looking for a reasonable 8.8" axle and finding
$1000 deals on what appear to be unknown crap. For $1400 I can get a
brand spankin new one.

I'm reading that the 7.5 is good up to 400 hp. Well, that does seem like
a lot of horse power, something my v6 will never put out.

I'm looking for 3.73 gears and I'm willing to put in an 8.8" axle. I'm
always being told that I'm likely to break my 7.5" if I put in 3.73
gears.

So after that blurb, assuming I put in 3.73 gears, my question is, what
breaks on the 7.5" axle? The gears? The axle shafts? The pumpkin? What
is the weak link?

I've found nothing on the web on this. All I see is a lot of "I've see a
ton of 7.5's broken..." and such. Lot's of talk, no examples.

I have a 2009 v6 vert, auto trans, GT exhaust take-offs, cold air
intake, and an SCT tune. That's probably the end of power train mods for
me. If I wish real hard I might be getting 240 hp. Will I break mine if
I stomp on it now and then with 3.73's?

Thanks for reading.

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
Old June 24th 13, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:21:27 -0400, twk >
wrote:

>I'm getting tired of looking for a reasonable 8.8" axle and finding
>$1000 deals on what appear to be unknown crap. For $1400 I can get a
>brand spankin new one.
>
>I'm reading that the 7.5 is good up to 400 hp. Well, that does seem like
>a lot of horse power, something my v6 will never put out.
>
>I'm looking for 3.73 gears and I'm willing to put in an 8.8" axle. I'm
>always being told that I'm likely to break my 7.5" if I put in 3.73
>gears.
>
>So after that blurb, assuming I put in 3.73 gears, my question is, what
>breaks on the 7.5" axle? The gears? The axle shafts? The pumpkin? What
>is the weak link?
>
>I've found nothing on the web on this. All I see is a lot of "I've see a
>ton of 7.5's broken..." and such. Lot's of talk, no examples.
>
>I have a 2009 v6 vert, auto trans, GT exhaust take-offs, cold air
>intake, and an SCT tune. That's probably the end of power train mods for
>me. If I wish real hard I might be getting 240 hp. Will I break mine if
>I stomp on it now and then with 3.73's?
>
>Thanks for reading.

This is just my gut talking...... If you had a manual transmission
and were launching by dumping the clutch at 4000 rpm it would be a
worry, but with the Automatic you aren't going to get that kind of
shock load so I don't think you will see a problem. So assuming it's
been ok now, the only thing I can see the 3.73 possibly causing to
break would be the axle shafts, those are the parts that will be
mostly getting any additional load from the ratio change. But my gut
says nothing will break since you are running an auto. And if you
didn't abuse it, probably nothing would break with a manual.
Old June 24th 13, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank S

My experience with 7.5" Ford differentials is like yours: I had one,
wished it was 8.8", and had no difficulties with it, but was
apprehensive about its durability, which seemed to be questionable based
on I-net readings.

My belief is that a properly-installed set of 3.73 gears will not
influence the expected life of a 7.5 differential under the conditions
you mention, which are very similar to those I applied during a
kind-of-abusive
three-year "sporting-use" of my V6 auto-equipped car.

--
Frank ess

Old June 24th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

In article >,
Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:21:27 -0400, twk >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm getting tired of looking for a reasonable 8.8" axle and finding
> >$1000 deals on what appear to be unknown crap. For $1400 I can get a
> >brand spankin new one.
> >
> >I'm reading that the 7.5 is good up to 400 hp. Well, that does seem like
> >a lot of horse power, something my v6 will never put out.
> >
> >I'm looking for 3.73 gears and I'm willing to put in an 8.8" axle. I'm
> >always being told that I'm likely to break my 7.5" if I put in 3.73
> >gears.
> >
> >So after that blurb, assuming I put in 3.73 gears, my question is, what
> >breaks on the 7.5" axle? The gears? The axle shafts? The pumpkin? What
> >is the weak link?
> >
> >I've found nothing on the web on this. All I see is a lot of "I've see a
> >ton of 7.5's broken..." and such. Lot's of talk, no examples.
> >
> >I have a 2009 v6 vert, auto trans, GT exhaust take-offs, cold air
> >intake, and an SCT tune. That's probably the end of power train mods for
> >me. If I wish real hard I might be getting 240 hp. Will I break mine if
> >I stomp on it now and then with 3.73's?
> >
> >Thanks for reading.

> This is just my gut talking...... If you had a manual transmission
> and were launching by dumping the clutch at 4000 rpm it would be a
> worry, but with the Automatic you aren't going to get that kind of
> shock load so I don't think you will see a problem. So assuming it's
> been ok now, the only thing I can see the 3.73 possibly causing to
> break would be the axle shafts, those are the parts that will be
> mostly getting any additional load from the ratio change. But my gut
> says nothing will break since you are running an auto. And if you
> didn't abuse it, probably nothing would break with a manual.

Wow, thanks Frank & Ashton. There are others that would agree with you.

I do have a very reputable mustang specialty shop within walking
distance. They've done many gears. They rebuilt me an 8.8" axle & GT
exhaust take-offs for my old '94 v6 mustang.

I have one last 8.8 to check out, hopefully tomorrow, then I might just
have to put gears and a traction lock in my 7.5".

Thanks for your opinions.
twk

Old June 25th 13, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
bethy

"twk" > wrote in message
> I'm getting tired of looking for a reasonable 8.8" axle and finding
> $1000 deals on what appear to be unknown crap. For $1400 I can get a
> brand spankin new one.
>
> I'm reading that the 7.5 is good up to 400 hp. Well, that does seem like
> a lot of horse power, something my v6 will never put out.
>
> I'm looking for 3.73 gears and I'm willing to put in an 8.8" axle. I'm
> always being told that I'm likely to break my 7.5" if I put in 3.73
> gears.
>
> So after that blurb, assuming I put in 3.73 gears, my question is, what
> breaks on the 7.5" axle? The gears? The axle shafts? The pumpkin? What
> is the weak link?
>
> I've found nothing on the web on this. All I see is a lot of "I've see a
> ton of 7.5's broken..." and such. Lot's of talk, no examples.
>
> I have a 2009 v6 vert, auto trans, GT exhaust take-offs, cold air
> intake, and an SCT tune. That's probably the end of power train mods for
> me. If I wish real hard I might be getting 240 hp. Will I break mine if
> I stomp on it now and then with 3.73's?
>
> Thanks for reading.

tires will peel out first. save your money for tickets. save your money if
it really breaks.