two issues: P0404 & head gasket

Old November 24th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
danielr

Default two issues: P0404 & head gasket

hello everyone;

1997 SL1 SOHC. standard xmission.
approximtely 130.000 km (i live in toronto, canada, which is metric)

issue a) giving erratic P0404 SES when engine gets hot.
i have obdc diagnostic tool, which lists a MUST to change egr valve.
ELECTRONIC egr, and a possible alternative of cleaning existing egr
to avoid exoenditure.
a parts vendor ststes that no electronic egr valve exists for saturn
(?).
i am confused.........please help with clarification.

issue b) oil stains in driveway.
mechanic have been pointing to spot where leak was taking place (with
some spry and light). he was advising to postpone as possible.
this is THE BEST CAR I HAVE VER HAD IN MY LIFE; and want ot make it
last !!! (also, i am aretiree, and every penny counts now !!)
QUESTION: does the repair / new gasket replacement REQUIRE the block
head rectification ??
(even at U$S values), what amount of expenditure woul i be facing to?

thanks in advance for all you help.
bst regards.

danielR.

Old November 25th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

Google for P0404 and see if any of the responses seem to apply to you.
Not familiar with the 97 sl1 so...
Is it an electronic EGR valve or vacuum operated?
Remove the valve and inspect for carbon build-up.
If it is vacuum operated, you should be able to push the pintle up and
inspect the valve area. If it's a motorized unit, it won't move by pushing.
Those need a diagnostic tool to move the valve and ain't easy. Sometimes you
get lucky just spraying cleaner into the EGR valve ports, let it sit and
blow it out. Reassemble with a new gasket and test.

One thing you should do is to remove the valve and plug both of the holes in
the manifold. One side will be manifold vacuum and the other side is exhaust
gas. Don't use anything that can get sucked in and cause other problems.
Start the engine and pull out the plug on the exhaust side. you should get
some noise and gas blowing out. Pull the other side slowly and you should
feel a sucking. With the intake manifold side completely open, the engine
should stall - or run very poorly at very least. This will prove that the
main lines are not plugged as they sometimes happen.

Get the head gasket taken care of! You're lucky that it's just leaking oil.
I had one that the gasket went and coolant got sucked into the cylinder...
Temperature sender had failed also and never gave a warning. Engine died.