2006 MX-5 price gouging

Old June 29th 05, 04:55 PM
DJA

Default 2006 MX-5 price gouging

Sorry if this has been asked before...

I remember the original "Additional Dealer Markup" issues with the 1st
gen Miata. Since the '06 will be an all new car, does anyone expect a
repeat of this practice? Do current buyers still pay a premium, or at
least something close to MSRP?

I guess demand will be a key factor...

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net
Old June 29th 05, 09:24 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
DJA > wrote:

> I remember the original "Additional Dealer Markup" issues with the 1st
> gen Miata. Since the '06 will be an all new car, does anyone expect a
> repeat of this practice?

Of course, and it will last as long as buyers are willing to pay extra.
It will stop as each dealer runs out of lot space and/or can't afford
the floorplan for its unsold cars.

>Do current buyers still pay a premium, or at
> least something close to MSRP?

They're giving away Miatas. Shop carefully, and you can buy a new
Mazdaspeed Miata for $20k, maybe less.

What I don't like (as if I were in the market, which I'm not) are the
package bundles for the U.S. market. To get LSD, you have to buy a
heavier Sport or Grand Touring model, then add the Suspension package to
it. I'd want LSD and cruise control with a 5-speed and 16" wheels, or at
least be able to add the Suspension package to a base car, but Mazda
won't sell me that. "Sport," BTW, means foglights and other foofaraw,
not performance.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old June 29th 05, 11:34 PM
Dave

In article >, DJA > wrote:
>Sorry if this has been asked before...
>
>I remember the original "Additional Dealer Markup" issues with the 1st
>gen Miata. Since the '06 will be an all new car, does anyone expect a
>repeat of this practice? Do current buyers still pay a premium, or at
>least something close to MSRP?

My prediction:
A very few will pay ADM, a bunch will buy at list and be proud of
the deal they got. Mazda is already saying that they predict
about 10K sales in the US and production-limited the first year,
possibly to drum up some hype. Then by winter, the prices will
drop and solid discounts will follow. There is just too much
competition both in roadsters and other high style personal
sports/sporty cars at very decent prices. I bet the MSRP has
already been influenced (lower) by the Pontiac Solstice.

Why would anyone pay ADM on an NC (most will be c. $24K Gran
Touring models) when an S2000 is only a few $K above??

Before the Mazdaspeed came out, the same Q's were being asked.
Many thought MSRP would be a good deal. I predicted huge, quick
discounts, and was right. It was an easy call. Demand for NB's
was dead, and a turbo sold in 4K/yr quantities wasn't going to
change that. It'll be somewhat different with the fresh new NC.
But again, there is too much interesting competition to result in
much ADM.

At the risk of being repititiously redundant (and repeating
myself), the NA had no competition, thus the markups. The NC is
going against: Solstice, S2000, Z4, Boxster (okay, some are
obviously much higher $$), Mustang, RX8, Mini, etc, etc. Frankly,
I'd say you'd have to be mad to pay list, nevermind more.

Oh, you can get a current NB for probably $5-6K under list. So
again, while the new will be better, it won't be $8K better!
Old June 29th 05, 11:59 PM
pws

Dave wrote:

> Why would anyone pay ADM on an NC (most will be c. $24K Gran
> Touring models) when an S2000 is only a few $K above??

Quite a few people, admittedly miata enthusiasts for the most part,
would rather buy the miata over the S2000, even if the miata were the
higher priced car.

Pat
Old June 30th 05, 01:59 AM
Craig Wagner

DJA > wrote:

>I remember the original "Additional Dealer Markup" issues with the 1st
>gen Miata. Since the '06 will be an all new car, does anyone expect a
>repeat of this practice? Do current buyers still pay a premium, or at
>least something close to MSRP?

I absolutely think the practice will repeat. Car dealers are in it for the quick
buck, not long term customer satisfaction. They could care less if you are
****ed two years from now because you believed some car salesman who told you
that there was such demand that prices would stay high for years, so you paid $8
over list and now you're eating that plus whatever normal depreciation has
occurred.

--
Craig Wagner, craig.wagner(at)comcast.net
Portland, OR

"Don't ban high-performance vehicles, ban low-performance drivers!"
Old June 30th 05, 06:13 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Dave is right, along with the others who say there will be very little
patience for ADM. Another player, I believe is soon to be in the fray is the
Saturn version of the Solstice. Not sure of the exact date but the point is,
there are abundant choices including new models not just old stale models.
It's quite a buyers market, I wish I was in a position to BE a buyer! But
how would I decide between an 05 MSM and an 06 NC? That would be tough!

Chris
92BB&T

Old June 30th 05, 01:33 PM
pws

Craig Wagner wrote:

> I absolutely think the practice will repeat. Car dealers are in it for the quick
> buck, not long term customer satisfaction. They could care less if you are
> ****ed two years from now because you believed some car salesman who told you
> that there was such demand that prices would stay high for years, so you paid $8
> over list and now you're eating that plus whatever normal depreciation has
> occurred.

Are you inferring that car dealers may not be completely honest?

I am still washing the sleaze off from my dealership miata purchase 6
years ago.
It is truly amazing, they know that we know that the whole "let me
talk to the manager and see what I can do" and such is a bunch of crap,
but they do it anyway. I guess that there has to be someone to sell
cars, but I'm not sure that I could play that smiling, "hey, I'm your
new best friend and this is just the right car for you!" act even if I
was starving.

I know that there must be exceptions to the rule, I just haven't run
into one yet as far as car salespeople go. Buying from a private party
was a much cleaner experience, but it is kind of hard to buy brand new
cars from individuals.

Pat
Old June 30th 05, 01:51 PM
pws

Dave wrote:

> At the risk of being repititiously redundant (and repeating
> myself), the NA had no competition, thus the markups. The NC is
> going against: Solstice, S2000, Z4, Boxster (okay, some are
> obviously much higher $$), Mustang, RX8, Mini, etc, etc. Frankly,
> I'd say you'd have to be mad to pay list, nevermind more.

You mentioned the higher dollars yourself, but do you really think that
the BMW Z4 and Porsche Boxster are in any real competition with a car
that costs half as much or less? The RX-8 and Mini are not even
convertibles, which makes them very poor competition for the miata if
one is looking for a drop-top. As far as the Mustang, doesn't it still
have seating for four? That helps to make it a very different animal
than a 2-seat roadster.

From the list above, only the Solstice and the S2000 make any sense to
me as being in market competition against the miata.

Pat
Old June 30th 05, 02:35 PM
Craig Wagner

http://www.seriouswheels.com/mno/Min...y-1024x768.htm

Old June 30th 05, 03:27 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> It is truly amazing, they know that we know that the whole "let me
> talk to the manager and see what I can do" and such is a bunch of crap,
> but they do it anyway. I guess that there has to be someone to sell
> cars, but I'm not sure that I could play that smiling, "hey, I'm your
> new best friend and this is just the right car for you!" act even if I
> was starving.

Before visiting a car dealership, everyone MUST read this article at
Edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Prepare to be entertained, amazed, and appalled.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis