Glass repair

Old October 14th 04, 05:37 AM
BillyRay

I was at a local garage a few years ago when a British woman came in and
told the mechanic her teenage daughter needed her "hooters adjusted"

Old October 14th 04, 06:02 AM
Toy

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> Toy sez:
>
>>How long has it been since you acquired it.

> A couple of days.

Its very early days and would suggest monitoring it for a week or so. As I
have said, no glue will stop a crack. Others will say they have had repairs
done but they are probably just pot chips that we all have if you/we look
close at our screens.

In engineering terms, the only way to stop a crack is by drilling a hole at
each end and as we know you cant really do that on a windscreen.

toy

Old October 14th 04, 09:45 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
daytripper > wrote:

> As for "these windshields are tough", they may stop a flying body due
> to their tempering, but that same tempering makes cracks walk like
> freakin' dogs...

Indeed. My father brought a 1958 Rambler back from the states when we
returned to the UK. In 1961 a horse jumped onto the car, requiring
substantial repairs to the front end, including the windshield. The
first replacement arrived from the states already cracked down the
middle.

Then in the late 70s it was struck by a flying stone which left a
small ding - annoying my father greatly, because it was right in front
of the driver's line of vision. However, he was even more annoyed the
next morning (after a frosty night) when that small chip had developed
into a 6 inch long crack. None of the UK-based companies could source a
new windshield for that 58 Rambler, so the crack was still there when he
sold the car in 1983.

Old October 14th 04, 03:01 PM
Kyle Tucker

In article >,
daytripper > writes:

> As for "these windshields are tough", they may stop a flying body due to their
> tempering, but that same tempering makes cracks walk like freakin' dogs...

One cold morning waiting for the bus with my son, I put my damp gloves
on the dash of my wife's Subaru which had small crack at the lower edge
from a rock hit. We heard this sound and literally watched the crack
creep across the entire length of the dash in about 30 seconds. It was
cool, like a slow motion lightning bolt. Not sure if the wet gloves on
the defroster heat caused it.

As far as windshield repair, I do it on my A4 with rock chips and
I get plenty on MA roads. It works well with the exception that they
don't seem to be able to get the filler completely flush with the
glass and it seems to tear at wiper blades at those spots, resulting
in bad streaking. But I can count on eventually needing to get a new
windshield given the MA roads.

--
- Kyle
Old October 15th 04, 08:40 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Toy wrote:

>Its very early days and would suggest monitoring it for a week or so. As I
>have said, no glue will stop a crack. Others will say they have had repairs
>done but they are probably just pot chips that we all have if you/we look
>close at our screens.

Please stop guessing probabilities.

>In engineering terms, the only way to stop a crack is by drilling a hole at
>each end

Right.

>and as we know you cant really do that on a windscreen.

Then you know wrong. It can be done and is done regularly.

>toy

Regards

Wolfgang

--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI
Old October 16th 04, 05:40 AM
Toy

****........

Old October 17th 04, 09:20 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 04:40:51 +0000 (UTC), "Toy"
> wrote:

>****........

Nice to meet you.

Gruß

Wolfgang

--
* Das ist meine Standardsignatur gezippt mit SigZip
Old October 17th 04, 02:04 PM
Toy

and a Grub to u 2

Old October 17th 04, 03:50 PM
Petri Rehtonen

On 2004-10-17, Toy > wrote:
> and a Grub to u 2
>

> "Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 04:40:51 +0000 (UTC), "Toy"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>****........

>> Nice to meet you.
>>
>> Gruß

Boys, boys, boys...

I have succesfully repaired a crack of about 1 cm wide and
it has worked just fine. It was repaired by drilling holes
and then filling the crack and the holes with some "special" glue.

The winter time and changing temperature of the class can
break the glass but the repairer gave me 1 year money back
warranty.

I will report back if the glass breaks and you boys can continue
this intelligent discussion.

--
Petri Rehtonen