B5 Recall ?

Old September 22nd 04, 10:34 PM
ronny

"Richard Goulding" > wrote in message

> "ronny" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Anyone else with a A4-A6-A8 recieve a recall letter this morning, for

> boots
>> on front bearing arms?
>>
>> I will post a scan if anyone wants to see it
>>
>> Ronny
>>

> Is this it ?
>
> April 2004: Worldwide recall of 870,000 1996-1999 Passat, 1994-1999 A4,
> 1997-1999 A6 and 1994-1999 A8s for "free check for possible damage of the
> rubber bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear
> and, in isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
>
> Richard

My scanner is broke, so heres 2 pics, sorry if its hard to make out, but I
think you can read it

www.fsplanes.net/recall1.jpg

www.fsplanes.net/recall2.jpg

Ronny

www.fsplanes.net

Old September 23rd 04, 08:27 AM
kenny

Hi, i own a 2000 A4 1.9tdi

It has about 98.000km's on it and the previous time it was in, they said the
front arms had some play on them. they had to be replaced the next time i go
in for service. could this also be part of this recal? i haven't gotten any
letter yet from audi. i live in belgium.

Kind regards

"ronny" > schreef in bericht
.. .

Old September 23rd 04, 11:01 AM
Richard Goulding

Looks like this recall from your letter assuming your car falls within those
age ranges. My car is a 2000 A4 so is not affected for some reason.

Richard
. ..

Old September 23rd 04, 02:30 PM
Iain Miller

"kenny" > wrote in message
> Hi, i own a 2000 A4 1.9tdi
>
> It has about 98.000km's on it and the previous time it was in, they said

the
> front arms had some play on them. they had to be replaced the next time i

go
> in for service. could this also be part of this recal? i haven't gotten

any
> letter yet from audi. i live in belgium.

Had my 96 A4 Avant checked yesterday - apparently its fine - but then it
would be cos I spent a ton of money replacing 2 upper arms, the track
control arm and the track rod end last Xmas (at 75K miles).

None of this is covered by the recall & so no refunds for me it seems.

There are apparently 4 arms on each side - 2 upper & 2 lower & this recall
only covers one of the lower arms which , I think, is a complete sham.

Seems from what I've read, heard and experienced the front suspension on
these cars is inherently weak. Who the hell ever heard of suspension
arms/wishbones needing to be replaced at 60 or 70,000 miles??

I.

Old September 27th 04, 12:02 PM
AstraVanMan

> Anyone else with a A4-A6-A8 recieve a recall letter this morning, for
boots
> on front bearing arms?
>
> I will post a scan if anyone wants to see it

Yep, I wouldn't mind. I've got a feeling the B5 is the Mk2 A6 shape though,
not the early shape like I've got - am I right?

Peter

Old September 27th 04, 12:26 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"AstraVanMan" > wrote:

> Yep, I wouldn't mind. I've got a feeling the B5 is the Mk2 A6 shape
> though, not the early shape like I've got - am I right?

No, B5 chassis is the original A4!

If your A6 is the first series (based on the Audi 100), then it's a C4
chassis.

Old September 27th 04, 08:04 PM
AstraVanMan

> > Yep, I wouldn't mind. I've got a feeling the B5 is the Mk2 A6 shape
> > though, not the early shape like I've got - am I right?

> No, B5 chassis is the original A4!
>
> If your A6 is the first series (based on the Audi 100), then it's a C4
> chassis.

Ah - it's just the way he mentioned A4 and A6 together that confused me.
Not that that's difficult to do.

Peter

Old September 28th 04, 08:44 PM
Redbullet

Hey everyone. I just returned from the Audi dealership having a service
check to my 99'Audi A6 (61K miles) under the manufacturer Sevice Action JE
Check Front Suspension Lower Control Arms recall. While the lower control
arms were fine, I'm told that my driver's side upper control arm needs
replacing. That cost is $800. I replaced torn CV boot on both sides 5
months ago and was told by the service rep that CV boots and the rubber
boots referred to in the recall letter are not one and the same.

Do you think I have an aurguement towards fighting to get the dealer to
replace the upper control arm? If not do you reccomend that I allow Audi
to replace the control arm or another reputable service shop towards
saving on the budget.

Old October 1st 04, 01:40 AM
Iain Miller

"Redbullet" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hey everyone. I just returned from the Audi dealership having a service
> check to my 99'Audi A6 (61K miles) under the manufacturer Sevice Action JE
> Check Front Suspension Lower Control Arms recall. While the lower control
> arms were fine, I'm told that my driver's side upper control arm needs
> replacing. That cost is $800. I replaced torn CV boot on both sides 5
> months ago and was told by the service rep that CV boots and the rubber
> boots referred to in the recall letter are not one and the same.
>
> Do you think I have an aurguement towards fighting to get the dealer to
> replace the upper control arm? If not do you reccomend that I allow Audi
> to replace the control arm or another reputable service shop towards
> saving on the budget.

There are 4 arms on each side AIUI - 2 upper & 2 lower. The recall only
covers the frontmost lower arm.

I had both the driver's side upper arms replaced on my A4 last December at
75K miles - its not covered by the current recall. I had the front lower arm
replaced as well. Unfortunatly this was done by an independant & they used
arms sourced directly from Lemforder instead of sourcing them through Audi.
Lemforder actually make the arms for Audi but because the parts didn't come
through the dealer network they won't refund me. The front suspension on
these cars is obviously very crap. Who the heck ever heard of arms/wishbones
needing replacing on any car at 60-70K miles?

The nearside lower front arm was replaced at 60K under the warranty just
under a year after I bought the thing 3 or 4 years ago....

I feel a letter to Audi coming on.....(followed by an E-mail to BBC
watchdog!)

I.

New 147 recall cupra Alfa Romeo 2 January 6th 05 12:58 PM
Vehicle Safety Recall Notification Doug Alfa Romeo 5 December 13th 04 11:02 PM
97-99 A6 Was this recall serious ? Stuart Audi 6 August 4th 04 08:54 AM
VW Passat Recall - Front suspension arm gbnews Audi 0 July 13th 04 09:33 PM
Product Recall 1995 Audi A4 B5 Kevin Truss Audi 1 June 15th 04 01:13 AM