'98 SW2 with cylinder problems

Old October 30th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Indy_Rob[_1_]

Default '98 SW2 with cylinder problems

Question for all of you. I have a '98 SW2 that would not start this
morning. A friend came over and we pulled the spark plugs. One plug was
covered in oil. We wiped it down put it back and tried again. When it
did not start up we pulled it back out to look down into the housing of
the spark plug to see if there were any cracks. Below the housing, I
could actually see oil sloshing around in the cylinder. We don't think
that there is any radiator fluid because when we pulled the dipstick, the
oil was actually a little low and looked normal. Any ideas on how the oil
got in the cylinder and any thoughts as to the approximate cost of repair
for something like this?

Old October 31st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Matt Brown

The good news: you just need a new valve cover gasket to fix the oil
issue. Oil simply leaks into the area where the spark plug goes, and
when you pulled out the spark plug it drained into the cylinder.
nothing to worry about, but change the valve cover gasket.
The bad news: this would not cause your no-start. Can you give us
more information? Does it crank, but not start? Pull off all the
spark plug wires. Have someone crank the car while you look at the
coil packs (the small end of the spark plug wire). You should see
arching across the towers. If you do not - you need a new CPS
(Crankshaft Position Sensor). $15 part, not to difficult to install.

Go to www.saturnfans.com and check the forums for more information.

-RangerRover

Old November 5th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Indy_Rob

Well, I got it fixed. Had a friend help me diagnose. Just a simple PCV
valve and a few spark plugs. Thank goodness.