Chevy 4.3L V6 Lifespan

Old July 19th 17, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Chevy 4.3L V6 Lifespan

On Monday, August 7, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jay Kopycinski wrote:
> In article >, (Brent Foss)
> wrote:
>
> > What is the realistic life expectancy for the Chevy 4.3L V6 (1991 model)?
> > I've got an S-10 Pickup and I do regular maintenance on the engine (oil,
> > filters, etc) I treat it reasonably well, but don't know how well it
> > was treated by the previous owner (first 50K miles). The old 2.8L V6's
> > really could only be expected to last about 75-80K. Does anybody know how
> > the larger engines fare in the long run?

> I bought mine out of a junk yard with 28K on it. It now has about 80K on it
> in my 1985 Toy truck. I change oil about every 3K or so and it still seems
> to run very well and burns no oil. It does though blow a puff of oil smoke
> on morning startup. I suspect I have a little oil seepage down the guides
> when it sits overnight. I think this is common on aging Chevy engines.
>
> Jay Kopycinski '85 Toylet
> Chandler, AZ

Why Say, I bought a 1975 2 Wheel Drive Blazer with a 2.8 V6 engine. It was a little under powered, but a real good performer. I got 329 thousand mile out of the engine. And it failed because someone cut me off in traffic and I had to stand the Blazer on its nose to keep from hitting them. After that oil pressure went to pot. Changing the oil pump made no difference and it turned out that the cam has slide out of position just a little bit. The body was also rusted out and so it was time to get another truck. 1996 Jimmy with 4.3 engine. Its got 239 thousand and leaks a small amount of oil at the rear seal, not even enough to equal a quart between oil changes. I have always used a oil for high mileage engines with an oil treatment of some kind and of course a new filter. I would recommend the 4.3 engine anytime. It is in a lot of boats as a Mercury Inboard Engine and I have seen it in a lot of fork trucks too. You could call it a universal engine.

E60 Rear Wishbone Lifespan? lviren BMW 4 December 15th 08 03:31 PM
Lifespan of 99 Chevy Prizm Caprice85 Technology 1 June 3rd 08 08:21 PM
oil capacity and lifespan [email protected] Technology 4 August 4th 06 01:30 AM
E38 brake discs lifespan La Tercia Real BMW 7 April 7th 06 09:23 PM