Rear rotor removal ???

Old September 5th 05, 09:18 PM
Ashton Crusher

On 5 Sep 2005 13:18:58 -0700, "cedarisland"
> wrote:

>New to group. Have 2003 Explorer. Replaced pads and rotors on front
>no problem. Now on rear, have rotor loose but they keep springing
>back. Seems like e-brake shoes are holding it . Took off cable but
>can't seem to back off on shoes. Went out and got Chiltons book but no
>help on trick. Would like to get done b4 vacation next Friday. All
>else fails will have to pay $$$$ to get done. THANKS

If it's like many rear disks you need to rotate the piston back into
the bore. Don't use pliers on the outside of the piston to do it. You
can buy a cheap tool that fits inside the piston to turn it with.

Old September 5th 05, 09:40 PM
cedarisland

Ashton, This is for e-brake. There is a cable hooked to lever that is
spring loaded. No piston here unless I can't see it. The book says
there is a star wheel inside.

Old September 5th 05, 11:00 PM
Happy Traveler

The star wheel adjuster should be accessible through the backplate, after
peeling off a rubber dustcap.
But I suspect that the rotors are simply 'stuck' to the hub with rust that
develops there over time. Most advise to tap them with a hammer until they
break loose. A gear puller will work in desperation, but it may distort the
rotors (a consideration only if you are going to keep them). A bit of
dielectric grease on the hub surface will prevent this from happening again.
Good Luck!

oups.com...

Old September 6th 05, 12:20 AM
Simon H

"Happy Traveler" > wrote in message
> The star wheel adjuster should be accessible through the backplate, after
> peeling off a rubber dustcap.
> But I suspect that the rotors are simply 'stuck' to the hub with rust that
> develops there over time. Most advise to tap them with a hammer until they
> break loose. A gear puller will work in desperation, but it may distort
> the
> rotors (a consideration only if you are going to keep them). A bit of
> dielectric grease on the hub surface will prevent this from happening
> again.
> Good Luck!
>
> "cedarisland" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Ashton, This is for e-brake. There is a cable hooked to lever that is

> spring loaded. No piston here unless I can't see it. The book says
>> there is a star wheel inside.

It's almost certainly the e-brake shoes that need backing off. As described
above the star wheel is got at through a slot in the backplate. If it's like
my '00 Ex you'll need a short stubby wide bladed screwdriver to crank the
star wheel. Don't forget to adjust it back once you have the new rotors
installed...
Don't be tempted to use any type of puller or extreme force to remove the
rotor before backing off the e-brake shoes - you'll do all sorts of
expensive damage to the e-brake shoe retainers and levers...
Hope this helps.

Simon H

Old September 6th 05, 01:43 AM
Ashton Crusher

On 5 Sep 2005 13:40:25 -0700, "cedarisland"
> wrote:

>Ashton, This is for e-brake. There is a cable hooked to lever that is
>spring loaded. No piston here unless I can't see it. The book says
>there is a star wheel inside.

Yeah, I was thinking of a different problem. As one of the other
posters said, it's often just the web of the drum stuck to the hub and
you need to put some rust penetrating stuff on and whack the face of
the web near the hub with a hammer. Some of them are really hard to
get off. Turning the star wheel to get more clearance between the shoe
and drum might help if that's what's holding it. If everything is in
adjustment it shouldn't be necessary but you never know.