Links For Propane/LPG Conversion in USA?

Old September 2nd 05, 10:23 PM
Ulysses

Default Links For Propane/LPG Conversion in USA?

I have searched google, truck forums, yahoo, and the Yellow pages and cannot
find any place that does propane conversion on cars in Southern California
or even the USA for that matter. Why is that? A few days ago propane was
$1.30/gal and gas was $2.99.

Anyone know of any links where I can get some information and find out if it
can even be done on a fuel injected engine?

Thanks.

Old September 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Herb Kauhry

But, how many gallons of propane does it take to go just as far as on 1
gallon of gas?

Old September 3rd 05, 02:55 AM
Ulysses

"Herb Kauhry" > wrote in message
> But, how many gallons of propane does it take to go just as far as on 1
> gallon of gas?

From the information I *did* find it's supposedly about the same.

I also read that there is a 20% loss of HP but that was old technology. I
just can't find the hows and whys.

Old September 3rd 05, 05:56 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:23:13 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>I have searched google, truck forums, yahoo, and the Yellow pages and cannot
>find any place that does propane conversion on cars in Southern California
>or even the USA for that matter. Why is that? A few days ago propane was
>$1.30/gal and gas was $2.99.
>
>Anyone know of any links where I can get some information and find out if it
>can even be done on a fuel injected engine?
>
>Thanks.

I think it costs about $2500 to convert a car. I looked into it very
briefly and found what you did, there doesn't seem to be anyplace to
get it done for cars. All I could find were some conversion kits for
generators and pumps.
Old September 3rd 05, 03:03 PM
Herb Kauhry

The EPA has probably made it virtually impossible to do this legally.

Old September 4th 05, 10:56 PM
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:23:13 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have searched google, truck forums, yahoo, and the Yellow pages and

cannot
> >find any place that does propane conversion on cars in Southern

California
> >or even the USA for that matter. Why is that? A few days ago propane

was
> >$1.30/gal and gas was $2.99.
> >
> >Anyone know of any links where I can get some information and find out if

it
> >can even be done on a fuel injected engine?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> I think it costs about $2500 to convert a car. I looked into it very
> briefly and found what you did, there doesn't seem to be anyplace to
> get it done for cars. All I could find were some conversion kits for
> generators and pumps.

Ouch. Well that explains the lack of interest.

Old September 5th 05, 09:29 PM
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:03:58 -0500, "Herb Kauhry" >
wrote:

>The EPA has probably made it virtually impossible to do this legally.

They were doing a lot of them here in AZ several years ago because our
brain dead legislature passed a law that paid the FULL cost of the
conversion and then some. So you could buy a regular truck and pay
$30K or you could buy the same truck converted to run on both gas and
LPG and it only wound up costing you about $17K. As soon as they
repealed the law (it was going to bankrupt the state) the conversion
companies' (one of which was owned by relatives of the legislator who
created teh law) dried up and blew away. And they were only putting 4
gallon LPG tanks on them so it would only get you about 70 miles down
the road before you switched back to gasoline.
Old September 6th 05, 04:30 PM
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:03:58 -0500, "Herb Kauhry" >
> wrote:
>
> >The EPA has probably made it virtually impossible to do this legally.

> They were doing a lot of them here in AZ several years ago because our
> brain dead legislature passed a law that paid the FULL cost of the
> conversion and then some. So you could buy a regular truck and pay
> $30K or you could buy the same truck converted to run on both gas and
> LPG and it only wound up costing you about $17K. As soon as they
> repealed the law (it was going to bankrupt the state) the conversion
> companies' (one of which was owned by relatives of the legislator who
> created teh law) dried up and blew away. And they were only putting 4
> gallon LPG tanks on them so it would only get you about 70 miles down
> the road before you switched back to gasoline.

When I go get my small propane tanks filled for my BBQ and RV I occasionally
see commercial trucks that run on propane, but very seldom. It sounds like
it's just not economically viable for the most part.

I heard some time back that cars that are converted to run on natural gas no
longer have to get smog checks (California). I wonder if it's also true for
propane. That would be worth something right there.

Disc Brake Conversion on C2 StingRay Corvette 13 June 22nd 05 05:34 PM
Nice 67 Bug [Restored] + 1000's of Air-Cooled VW Bug Links! Jim VW air cooled 0 February 11th 05 10:03 PM
Nice 67 Bug [Restored] + 1000's of Air-Cooled VW Bug Links! Jim VW water cooled 0 February 11th 05 10:03 PM
12V conversion question N8N Technology 1 February 9th 05 02:01 AM
Car conversion notes, addendum 2 David Dalton General 3 June 22nd 04 02:25 PM