Wrong Clutch Fork?

Old February 7th 05, 03:57 AM
Michael White

Default Wrong Clutch Fork?

All,

I'm getting quite a bit of noise when the clutch is depressed on my '82
Scrambler with a 258, a T-5, and manual clutch. This is before and after I
replaced the clutch throwout (release) bearing. While paging through the
factory service manual, I noticed that my clutch fork looks like the clutch
fork used with the four-cylinder, hydraulic clutches: flat on the tines of
the forks, flat in the middle of the fork tines, and a deep dimple for the
release rod. In the pictures of the manual clutch, the middle of the fork
does not look flat, the dimple for the release rod doesn't look as deep,
and the tines of the fork do not look flat.

I'd take a photo, but it's installed already. I just know that, in addition
to the noise, my clutch system is stressed. I've busted a new bellcrank, a
portion of the bell housing, and snapped a grade 5 bolt head. And the old
clutch I replaced had one if its return springs busted.

One other oddity - when I adjust my clutch, I have to adjust the release rod
nearly all the way out.

Thanks in advance.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, 1891
Old February 7th 05, 05:09 AM
HomeBrewer

Did you replace the fork?

--
___________________
HomeBrewer
ink.net...

Old February 7th 05, 05:53 AM
Michael White

HomeBrewer ) wrote on Sunday 06 February 2005 10:09 pm:

> Did you replace the fork?

No, but I bought the Scrambler in 1998, a lot of years where who knows what
may have happened. For all I know, someone busted it at one time in the
past and picked up one in a junk yard...
Old February 7th 05, 03:28 PM
Mike Romain

Are you missing the 1/2" or so round ball bearing pivot point for the
lever that sits just inside the bell housing? That ball is held in with
a small spring that goes from the nose cone to the arm.

If missing, the pedal will be hard and you cannot adjust it far enough
to have the clutch stay free wheeling when down. You will 'bottom out'
the linkage stressing the crap out of the bell crank and always have the
throw out bearing touching the pressure plate fingers in order to get it
to go far enough.

What did the fingers look like on the old plate? Any wear or scuff
marks?

Did the tranny nose cone have any dings on it?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 8th 05, 02:51 AM
HomeBrewer

Here is the fork from my T5, 258, 85 CJ7.

http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/t5fork.jpg

--
___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."
news

Old February 8th 05, 03:28 AM
Michael White

Mike Romain ) wrote on Monday 07 February 2005 08:28
am:

> Are you missing the 1/2" or so round ball bearing pivot point for the
> lever that sits just inside the bell housing? That ball is held in with
> a small spring that goes from the nose cone to the arm.

The one that sort of sits on a pedestal, right? Yes, that's there.

> If missing, the pedal will be hard and you cannot adjust it far enough
> to have the clutch stay free wheeling when down. You will 'bottom out'
> the linkage stressing the crap out of the bell crank and always have the
> throw out bearing touching the pressure plate fingers in order to get it
> to go far enough.
>
> What did the fingers look like on the old plate? Any wear or scuff
> marks?

The fingers definitely have scuff marks.

> Did the tranny nose cone have any dings on it?

The front of the transmission has no marks or dings on it. The clutch shaft
is a bit wore, though. The gears that mesh with the clutch are clean, but
the portion behind it that the throwout bearing rides on has definite
scoring.

> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Maybe the O'Reilly folks just sold me a bad clutch.

Old February 8th 05, 03:33 AM
Michael White

HomeBrewer ) wrote on Monday 07 February 2005 07:51 pm:

> Here is the fork from my T5, 258, 85 CJ7.
>
> http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/t5fork.jpg

Mostly looks like mine. I'm going to have to pull it apart again, though,
as it has the wrong throwout bearing....
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, 1891

Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 14th 05 12:40 AM
Clutch Fork release rattle Jérémie Bédard Ford Mustang 3 January 12th 05 01:57 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Clutch Questions Jeff Strickland BMW 5 December 15th 04 12:45 AM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM