1998 Mercury Grand Marquis shock replacement

Old February 1st 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

Default 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis shock replacement

Shocks on my old white boat ('98 Merc of the topic) are shot. I mean gone. I mean, the thing pitches and seesaws and sounds like an old, worn-out innerspring mattress after going over a speed bump.

From what I've been reading, it's fairly simple to swap out shocks. No realignment required, and I shouldn't be in the shop forever.

The front suspension does need some work: replacement of ball joints and stabilizer links. But, one thing at a time.

I have access to a very nice place to work on it. Not quite as good as having a garage at home, but there is an auto hobby shop near where I work. They have every type of lift, jack, tool, and gadget you could want. I did an oil change and brake inspection there last Friday (turns out my brakes are in excellent shape, both pads and rotors). Does cost $10/hour but that's much much cheaper than having the shocks swapped professionally.

So that's my next project - any tips?
Old February 1st 16, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

FWIW mine is an LS but does *not* have the air suspension, which simplifies matters.
Old February 2nd 16, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Jc Maxwell wrote:
> Shocks on my old white boat ('98 Merc of the topic) are shot. I mean gone. I mean,
> the thing pitches and seesaws and sounds like an old, worn-out innerspring mattress
> after going over a speed bump.
>
> From what I've been reading, it's fairly simple to swap out shocks. No realignment
> required, and I shouldn't be in the shop forever.
>
> The front suspension does need some work: replacement of ball joints and stabilizer
> links. But, one thing at a time.
>
> I have access to a very nice place to work on it. Not quite as good as having a garage
> at home, but there is an auto hobby shop near where I work. They have every type of
> lift, jack, tool, and gadget you could want. I did an oil change and brake inspection
> there last Friday (turns out my brakes are in excellent shape, both pads and rotors).
> Does cost $10/hour but that's much much cheaper than having the shocks swapped
> professionally.
>
> So that's my next project - any tips?

This is one of the easier shock replacements.
Start with YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGat_ivC8EE
Old February 2nd 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 5:57:29 PM UTC-7, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> This is one of the easier shock replacements.
> Start with YouTube.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGat_ivC8EE

Glad to hear it. Shocks have been shipped, should be able to do the work Saturday.

Next project planned is replacing ball joints and stabilizer links up front. Might need some help with that one.
Old February 3rd 16, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Jc Maxwell wrote:
> On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 5:57:29 PM UTC-7, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> This is one of the easier shock replacements.
>> Start with YouTube.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGat_ivC8EE

> Glad to hear it. Shocks have been shipped, should be able to do the work Saturday.
>
> Next project planned is replacing ball joints and stabilizer links up front. Might need some help with that one.

There is a good Youtube for that one, too!
Old February 3rd 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

Yes, I viewed one already on the stabilizer arms!

Can't find one specifically about the rear shocks though. 2004 and later Crown Vic/GM yes, but, not my year, which apparently is different.

Did find one where a guy is removing the rear shocks on a 1997 Crown Vic, but video quality is potato.

Will keep looking.

Meanwhile, realized that the light to illuminate the engine compartment is burned out. Looking for an LED replacement.
Old February 5th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

Found this very relevant page via another forum (crownvic.net):

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...ear/index.html
Old February 5th 16, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Jc Maxwell wrote:
> Found this very relevant page via another forum (crownvic.net):
>
> http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...ear/index.html

Nice site! Thanks.

Old February 8th 16, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

I spent the majority of yesterday attempting to install new shocks. Hours and hours of lift time, for what should have been a 2 hour job, tops.

It took so long because I had to first figure out what was going on, then fix the threaded holes in the A-arms where the lower front shock bolts attach. The shop that installed the last set of shocks, circa 2006, did a terrible job. It looks like they used an impact wrench to install the various bolts, with predictable damage to the threaded holes. That is why I had to buy new, larger bolts to secure the lower ends of the front shocks. We drilled and tapped the holes in the A-arms for a larger bolt size, going from the stock 8mm x 1.25 bolt to a 3/8" bolt. I never got to the rear shocks.

I'm going back this coming weekend to replace the rear shocks. Since all four shocks were replaced by the same shop that botched my front shock install, I expect that I'll have to fix similar stuff in the rear.

Does anyone know the size of the bolts that secure the bottom end of the rear shocks to the shock mounts? I haven't been able to find this information so far. I'd like to buy larger replacement bolts ahead of time, so that I can go straight to the drilling & tapping when required.
Old February 8th 16, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Jc Maxwell wrote:
> I spent the majority of yesterday attempting to install new shocks. Hours and hours of
> lift time, for what should have been a 2 hour job, tops.
>
> It took so long because I had to first figure out what was going on, then fix the
> threaded holes in the A-arms where the lower front shock bolts attach. The shop that
> installed the last set of shocks, circa 2006, did a terrible job. It looks like they
> used an impact wrench to install the various bolts, with predictable damage to the
> threaded holes. That is why I had to buy new, larger bolts to secure the lower ends of
> the front shocks. We drilled and tapped the holes in the A-arms for a larger bolt
> size, going from the stock 8mm x 1.25 bolt to a 3/8" bolt. I never got to the rear
> shocks.
>
> I'm going back this coming weekend to replace the rear shocks. Since all four shocks
> were replaced by the same shop that botched my front shock install, I expect that I'll
> have to fix similar stuff in the rear.
>
> Does anyone know the size of the bolts that secure the bottom end of the rear shocks to
> the shock mounts? I haven't been able to find this information so far. I'd like to
> buy larger replacement bolts ahead of time, so that I can go straight to the drilling &
> tapping when required.

Rear solid axle shocks usually attach with one long bolt on the bottom.
Odds are that you won't have any problems with the bottom bolts.
The top one is often hard to get to though.
Check the web for shock pics. Your shocks might come with new bolts.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/m...+absorber,7556

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...96b43f802e6669