Anyone having any problems with PRHT model?

Old January 7th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Anyone having any problems with PRHT model?

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Actually, except for the classy steering wheel, I thought the NB was a step
> back from the NA in interior. While the (standard) NA has an austere,
> absolutely boring and totally nonimaginative black interior, it was good
> quality functionality. I thought the NB plastics shiny and cheap looking
> compared to it, and missing that no-nonsense touch in design.

Differing opinions are a good thing.

> To call the NC steering wheel "horrible" looking in a company that includes
> the NA is just ingenuous. It is nowhere near the incredible ugliness of the
> NA steering wheel; as far as I know, the most ugly steering wheel ever put in
> a sports car. While the NC steering wheel does in my opinion have a definite
> "Buick" look to it, it certainly does not look like the dreaded NA "lunch box"
> wheel. The only reason I did not replace Bozo's wheel any earlier was because
> there were no options

No options with airbags. Lots of people driving NA's without airbags.
As far as looks, there is not an airbag-equipped steering wheel made
that looks as good as the Momo Champion in my '91 model.

I actually find the original steering wheel less visually offensive than
the new one because it does not have extra controls on it, but I have
never called either one pretty.
Horn buttons and paddle shifters are all that I ever want on the wheel,
any other control button can and should go on the dash and/or steering
column, imho.

(and AFAIK, still are not in the USA; I got my replacement
> from Germany.)

But there was finally an airbag-equipped option for the M1, and it looks
great. I will probably get it myself if I stay with the M1 model.

If a company ever makes a better-looking steering wheel for the NC, it
will still have the controls on there and will not look as good as the
OEM M2 steering wheel.
The main problem is that Mazda took a giant step backwards. They screwed
up what was probably the best improvement from the M1 to the M2, again,
imho.

> I would by no means call my tan interior beautiful, (make that my car's tan
> interior), but it is a lot less boring than the NA interior plastics, is
> not shiny, and it absorbs a lot less of our Florida sun.

If less boring equals more gaudy and generic-looking, then I will have
to agree with you.
Otherwise, I have to rate the interiors as best to worst in this order;
NB, NA, then the NC.

> And I can (most of the time) throw my cloth top down in 300-500 times less
> time than it takes the NA/NB top to be lowered and covered, and about 10
> times less time than it takes the RHT to retract itself. And similar numbers
> for raising it. It makes a difference if you are caught top-down in
> a Florida downpour.

There is no question that the new soft top is cool. It was nice to see
Mazda finally do what Toyota did years ago with the MR2.
Now that I have ridden on the highway in a NC with the folding hardtop,
however, I would never consider the soft top.
The advantages of reduced noise, extra security, better visibility, and
better looks with the top raised outweigh the extra weight, cost and the
time to raise and lower it by a huge margin for myself.

Pat
Old January 7th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:27:50 +0000, Christopher Muto wrote:

> i am with pat, the na is the best design, but i do understand their need
> to update the appearance of a car to maintain its popularity. i hated
> the nc at first but it is beginning to grow on me. the z4 does nothing
> for me and i feel it has a pretentiousness (is that a word?) that makes
> it undesirable as it attracts the wrong kind of attention (a completely
> subjective opinion - perhaps it is exactly the kind of attention some
> people want their car to have). but i have driven one and it is a
> pleasure to drive (but like a moped, you just don't want anyone seeing
> you drive it). if i were in the market for a new car and the z4 was in
> my price range i think i would also look at the lotus exige for not much
> more. it is a little unusual looking (the batmobile comes to mind) but
> i like it and i admire the purity of the overall philosophy of the car.
> it completely lacks the modern day luxury and gadgetry built into the nc
> or the z4. there is not even a cup holder in the thing. it is a true
> sports car much as the na was. air conditioning is the only modern day
> luxury that i need, the rest is just a bunch of stuff that will result
> in trips to the dealer to fix.. in fact it seems like lotus took pride
> in not trying to eliminate the many squeaks and rattles that make it
> seem like my 10 year old na.

The Exige is a brilliant car but I don't think any sane person would even
consider using it as a daily driver. Not for very long anyway. But for a
weekend toy and/or track days I can hardly think of anything better.
Old January 7th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Carbon > wrote in
news
> The Exige is a brilliant car but I don't think any sane person
> would even consider using it as a daily driver. Not for very long
> anyway. But for a weekend toy and/or track days I can hardly think
> of anything better.

The Exige top is fixed thereby putting it in the same class as mini-
vans, SUVs, etc. as far as desirability is concerned....
Old January 7th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

Carbon wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:27:50 +0000, Christopher Muto wrote:
>
>> i am with pat, the na is the best design, but i do understand their
>> need to update the appearance of a car to maintain its popularity.
>> i hated the nc at first but it is beginning to grow on me. the z4
>> does nothing for me and i feel it has a pretentiousness (is that a
>> word?) that makes it undesirable as it attracts the wrong kind of
>> attention (a completely subjective opinion - perhaps it is exactly
>> the kind of attention some people want their car to have). but i
>> have driven one and it is a pleasure to drive (but like a moped, you
>> just don't want anyone seeing you drive it). if i were in the
>> market for a new car and the z4 was in my price range i think i
>> would also look at the lotus exige for not much more. it is a
>> little unusual looking (the batmobile comes to mind) but i like it
>> and i admire the purity of the overall philosophy of the car. it
>> completely lacks the modern day luxury and gadgetry built into the
>> nc or the z4. there is not even a cup holder in the thing. it is a
>> true sports car much as the na was. air conditioning is the only
>> modern day luxury that i need, the rest is just a bunch of stuff
>> that will result in trips to the dealer to fix.. in fact it seems
>> like lotus took pride in not trying to eliminate the many squeaks
>> and rattles that make it seem like my 10 year old na.

> The Exige is a brilliant car but I don't think any sane person would
> even consider using it as a daily driver.

I've got a buddy contemplating doing just that. He's got another car, mind
you, but I see no reason why an Exige wouldn't make a perfectly good daily
driver. Neither does he.

> Not for very long anyway.
> But for a weekend toy and/or track days I can hardly think of
> anything better.

I've never understood why some people think they can't drive their "weekend
toy" to work and to run errands and whatnot, provided you're not carrying a
kid around with you or something. It's like the thought that they drive to
work could be enjoyable, too, doesn't even cross some people's minds.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old January 7th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Marc Gerges

tooloud --

tooloud > wrote:

> I've never understood why some people think they can't drive their "weekend
> toy" to work and to run errands and whatnot, provided you're not carrying a
> kid around with you or something. It's like the thought that they drive to
> work could be enjoyable, too, doesn't even cross some people's minds.

Most people that try this find that toys played with too much tend to
lose their attractiveness. However mind boggling an Exige's performance
may be, one will get used to it. And then one will start noticing the
squeaks and rattles, the non existant rear view, and the ridiculously
hard clutch in stop-and-go traffic.

I drive my toys to work, because I am lucky in having quite a nice
stretch of road to work. But if I have to do grocery shopping, bet it's
not the MX-5 that goes.

I don't know if it's customary to present oneself - I am new here. Found
a white 94 in top condition (50000 km) last summer and love it. Daily
driver is a Toyota Prius, other toy car is a Citroen DS.

cu
.\\arc
Old January 7th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"tooloud" > wrote in

> I've never understood why some people think they can't drive their
> "weekend toy" to work and to run errands and whatnot

Because my Miata won't carry my scooter and scooter lift, that's why.
Old January 8th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>The advantages of reduced noise, extra security, better visibility, and
>better looks with the top raised outweigh the extra weight, cost and the
>time to raise and lower it by a huge margin for myself.

As far as I am concerned, I would simply never develop the patience to wait
for it to lower itself. It would drive me nuts.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old January 8th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Marc Gerges wrote:

That sounds like my rattly '91 miata with the ACT3 clutch and the rear
window that needs to be replaced.

> Most people that try this find that toys played with too much tend to
> lose their attractiveness. However mind boggling an Exige's performance
> may be, one will get used to it. And then one will start noticing the
> squeaks and rattles, the non existant rear view, and the ridiculously
> hard clutch in stop-and-go traffic.

I don't drive to work, at least not to one building every day to punch
an evil timecard for a slave-driver commonly referred to as a boss or
manager, but I do put a lot of miles on the car and a miata has been my
only vehicle for between 7 & 8 years now.
I also have not been to a mechanic in over 7 years other than for tires
and alignments. Coincidence?

> I drive my toys to work, because I am lucky in having quite a nice
> stretch of road to work. But if I have to do grocery shopping, bet it's
> not the MX-5 that goes.

Welcome! This can be a tough crowd, but very helpful.
Note: each reply has been top-posted just to irritate XS11E.
See what I mean? ;-)

Pat

BTW, the '94 is often thought of as one of the best year models of the
first generation miata, and I am sure that Leon will like your color choice.

Old January 8th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in
:

> It would drive me nuts.

In golf terminology that wouldn't be a drive, more of a short putt.
<GD&R>

Old January 8th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote in
:

> Note: each reply has been top-posted just to irritate XS11E.

May your mother-in-law come for an extended visit! ;-)