Alfa 156 GTA vs A4 with sports suspension?

Old May 17th 04, 12:02 AM
MacIglebek

Default Alfa 156 GTA vs A4 with sports suspension?

For three years, I owned a 156 2.0 Selespeed. Unfortunately, a Toyota Hiace
hit me in a front accident and totally smashed the car. Immediately after, I
replaced the car by an Audi A4 2.0FSI (shame on me) with sports suspension
and 18" rims.

Today, I had a testdrive of a used 156 MY2001, similar to the one I crashed,
Frankly, it was like driving and sitting in a soft-cushioned sofa: I was
really disappointed. However, I am seriously considering buying a 156 GTA
since Alfa is The Car.

How would you compare the GTA with the A4 in terms of road handling,
steering response, suspension, etc? The A4 suspension is quite hard (with
235/40 tyres) and very responsive. The GTA has 17/215/45 tyres as standard,
if I remember correctly. Some car magazine articles have indicated that the
front suspension of the GTA is too soft.

Thanks.

Old May 17th 04, 09:22 AM
Ppelectron

>For three years, I owned a 156 2.0 Selespeed. Unfortunately, a Toyota Hiace
>hit me in a front accident and totally smashed the car. Immediately after, I
>replaced the car by an Audi A4 2.0FSI (shame on me) with sports suspension
>and 18" rims.
>
>Today, I had a testdrive of a used 156 MY2001, similar to the one I crashed,
>Frankly, it was like driving and sitting in a soft-cushioned sofa: I was
>really disappointed. However, I am seriously considering buying a 156 GTA
>since Alfa is The Car.
>
>How would you compare the GTA with the A4 in terms of road handling,
>steering response, suspension, etc? The A4 suspension is quite hard (with
>235/40 tyres) and very responsive. The GTA has 17/215/45 tyres as standard,
>if I remember correctly. Some car magazine articles have indicated that the
>front suspension of the GTA is too soft.

I was discussing the GTA with an Alfa main dealer recently. They told me that
the suspension is a lot firmer than my 156 V6 and implied that I might find it
too firm.

I have to say that as an ex Audi A4 owner myself (2.6 V6), I'm shocked that you
think the Audi handles better than an Alfa. I was amazed at how much better the
Alfa cornered than the Audi. The Alfa suspension seems well set up to me -
around town it is soft enough to absorb the pot holes (unlike Audis and BMWs)
yet if you push it hard on bends it corners beautifully. I don't think rock
hard suspension equates to good handling. Go and test drive the GTA and tell us
what you think of it!

Phil 156 V6
Old May 17th 04, 12:24 PM
David C

"MacIglebek" > wrote in message
> The GTA has 17/215/45 tyres as standard,
> if I remember correctly.
>
> Thanks.

No the GTA (and the V6 GTV now) uses 225/45R17 tyres.
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old May 17th 04, 07:45 PM
Alfistagj

The 147GTA has a much smoother set up from the beginning compared to the
156GTA of the first production year.
The original 156GTA had a track layout which was not very good for the
"normal" day-to-day" road use.
Both (new) GTA's are quite similar now but like all Alfa's quite critical on
the tyres.
An other brand tyres can make a hughe difference!

And the handling of a standard (new) GTA (147/156) is indeed "softer" than
an Audi which in my opinion is scandalously hard.
And doesn't corner half as good as an Alfa (I don't even name the GTA's!!)

And for the replacement of my 156SW1.8 (tuned) I test drove the new GT with
2.0JTS, 3.2V6 as well as the 1.9JTD
Alle 3 corner at least as good as the GTA's (!!), they are slightly softer
in front.
In my opinion the GT 3.2 gets the power even better on the road than the
GTA's and all three brake at least similar!
As it will be a company car I had to compromise a bit (better: budget
limit), so a full option GT 2.0JTS will be mine in October!

And I love the looks of the GT.
Classic Bertone design (with a beautiful rear) with the 147 nose that looks
nicely in balance with the rest of the car. Dashboard as the 147 and
(leather) seats that outperform 147/156 by a mile (fit & looks)!

Forget the Audi!

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Max Reheat" > schreef in
bericht ...

Old May 24th 04, 05:47 AM
rp.addicott

I've owned a 156GTA Sportwagon for 18 months, and still every time I get in
its a new adventure, you turn the key n it GROWLS into life, the leather
seat hugs you the controls are there facing you (not there to look pretty
for passengers) I drive off , if I'm driving steady I keep it in gear at
2000 rpm just to hear that engine (and keep things very responsive) then
when I want to play I put my foot down HEAVEN it still scares n excites me
FANTASTIC performance, it kills off all the boy racers (who luv to give you
a try) n beema boys its Cool, most people dont understand what your driving
untill u say BYE BYE lol. I still take it out to the country just to drive
on those winding B roads , N HELL it holds the road FANTASICALLY( except
when its wet on my Michelin Pilotsports A Dry road tyre) DAM ITS JUST SO
MUCH FUN. The power to burst past someone the cornering it holds the road
like glue when it dry, DAM you just want to drive it. How many cars would
you want to just go out n drive just for the FUN? NOT MANY yes the ride is
firm but not over firm so you still feel comfatable to potter along. In
short THE GTA IS A DRIVERS CAR MADE TO BE ENJOYED BY A REAL DRIVER . I rest
my case Audi good but NOT THAT GOOD