Gotcha, you damn drunk driver

Old September 26th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

Default Gotcha, you damn drunk driver

Joe Feise wrote:
> pws wrote on 09/25/06 09:35:
>
>> XS11E wrote:
>>
>>> HEY! :-(

>> I agree, I hope to be elderly someday, and that day really isn't too
>> far off. Look at the alternative. :-)
>>
>> My grandma is in her '80s and drives her Accord faster than I
>> normally drive in-town......She is still a pretty sharp old lady
>> though.
>>
>> Pat

> Well, around here we had an elderly (80ies) guy driving his Buick
> through a farmers market in Santa Monica. The trial is on right now.
> His lawyer claims he confused the gas and the brake pedal...
> http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

I don't doubt that he did, but it doesn't change much, eh?

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old September 26th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

Default Way off topic

> Yes, you did. You relied on your own impaired opinion and the opinions
> of your intoxicated college buddies to determine your level of capability.

I wouldn't listen to someone I thought was drunk. I knew these guys well and
I knew what they're like. As I said, personal
breathalyzers weren't an option then. And this wasn't a college-style party,
it was a relatively subdued group of friends that one zoned female happened
to drop in on. My point is, in the context of the times, I was
acting in a manner most people would have considered pretty responsible, and
I stepped up to the plate when someone was needed to prevent an alcohol
related tragedy. And taking my license would have kept me from averting
several other situations, a net negative for society. But we can leave it at
that. I'm just presenting the possibility that I may have saved several
lives, and your law would have me prevented from doing that, which to me
sounds like your law could use a little consideration for circumstance.

> She could have gotten a cab ride or you could have taken her keys. I
> have taken keys from men half again as large as myself, was it really an
> impossible task for several people to do with one woman?

She was too much for two cops to put in leg restraints. They called in
backup from the front desk. You have no idea.

> Ok, we can at least agree on that. The problem I have, is that the
> punishment is not severe enough.

No problem with you having that opinion. But it's kind of tough to control
people who may be acting out of personal or chemical demons without
executing them - they tend to just ignore punishment and continue on their
destructive path. I mean, HOW do you keep someone from driving, if they are
so impaired that sensible fear of punishment doesn't exist? Cars can be
stolen, "borrowed" without the owners knowledge, driven off a lot in a road
test, you name it. You're going to have to kill them.

Hopefully you will see my real argument, which has nothing to do with
alcohol or speed but is strictly about law and how it's applied. Let me try
this angle.

1. Are you willing to concede that somewhere there's a person who has lost
one or more loved ones due to someones excessive speed thru a residential
area?

2. Is it not possible that this person desires a much more severe punishment
on the books for speeding? Perhaps even a ten year suspension, automatic, on
any speeding offense no matter how trivial?

3. Are you willing to give them the law they want, as you would have others
subject to the law you want? Are you willing to lose your license for ten
years over a 34 in a 30 because *they* have a strong opinion about it?

Or, as I suspect, would you prefer that their law be considered by a wide
range of people, passed by a legislature who would modify and tone it down
according to circumstances of the violation, and punish according to the
severity of the violation?

Unfortunately, we only get to pick one way and it has to work the same for
everyone. (Presidents excluded, of course.)

miker

Old September 27th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Way off topic (NMC)

miker wrote:

> I wouldn't listen to someone I thought was drunk. I knew these guys well and
> I knew what they're like.

That is nice that you wouldn't listen to someone who you thought was
drunk when you had been drinking yourself. Alcohol doesn't alter your
perception or anything like that...

> As I said, personal
> breathalyzers weren't an option then.

As I said, if you need a personal breathalyzer, you are part of the problem.
A book on AA might be a better purchase if you are drinking so often
that you need an electronic device to tell you if it is legally ok to
drive home.

> And this wasn't a college-style party,
> it was a relatively subdued group of friends that one zoned female happened
> to drop in on.

Haha, a group of drinking college-aged individuals, you happen to be the
best designated driver option even though you can't pass a breathalyzer,
and it just happens to be the one zoned female causing all the trouble.
I smell the excrement of a bull wafting from your post.

> My point is, in the context of the times, I was
> acting in a manner most people would have considered pretty responsible, and
> I stepped up to the plate when someone was needed to prevent an alcohol
> related tragedy. And taking my license would have kept me from averting
> several other situations, a net negative for society.
> But we can leave it at
> that. I'm just presenting the possibility that I may have saved several
> lives, and your law would have me prevented from doing that, which to me
> sounds like your law could use a little consideration for circumstance.

Cab drivers could have done what you did. Don't take too much credit.

> She was too much for two cops to put in leg restraints. They called in
> backup from the front desk. You have no idea.

More parts of the the story yet undisclosed? Do you think that you are
the only one who has dealt with a psycho woman? I was married to one.
Again, that strong smell of excrement drifts in from your direction.

> No problem with you having that opinion. But it's kind of tough to control
> people who may be acting out of personal or chemical demons without
> executing them - they tend to just ignore punishment and continue on their
> destructive path. I mean, HOW do you keep someone from driving, if they are
> so impaired that sensible fear of punishment doesn't exist? Cars can be
> stolen, "borrowed" without the owners knowledge, driven off a lot in a road
> test, you name it. You're going to have to kill them.

That is what I wanted to do to the Buick driver. I exercised common
sense instead. Considering what I wanted to do, 10 years without a
license seems very minor by comparison.

> Hopefully you will see my real argument, which has nothing to do with
> alcohol or speed but is strictly about law and how it's applied. Let me try
> this angle.
>
> 1. Are you willing to concede that somewhere there's a person who has lost
> one or more loved ones due to someones excessive speed thru a residential
> area?

Yes.

> 2. Is it not possible that this person desires a much more severe punishment
> on the books for speeding? Perhaps even a ten year suspension, automatic, on
> any speeding offense no matter how trivial?

Of course.

> 3. Are you willing to give them the law they want, as you would have others
> subject to the law you want? Are you willing to lose your license for ten
> years over a 34 in a 30 because *they* have a strong opinion about it?

Nope, just like I don't get what I want. Most of us would like to play
God, but only a few people get to.
Like I said before, this is the opinion of one individual, I do not
speak for others. Nothing is going to change because of me and I know this.

> Or, as I suspect, would you prefer that their law be considered by a wide
> range of people, passed by a legislature who would modify and tone it down
> according to circumstances of the violation, and punish according to the
> severity of the violation?
>
> Unfortunately, we only get to pick one way and it has to work the same for
> everyone. (Presidents excluded, of course.)
>
> miker

And Senators from MA, of course.

Pat
Old September 27th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Some people just make me sick. Miker, are ya an avid drunk driver buddy?
Feelin' a little guilty about it? Clean it up before you become a statistic.

Chris
99BBB

nk.net...

Old September 27th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Joe Feise > wrote:

>pws wrote on 09/25/06 09:35:
>
>> XS11E wrote:
>>
>>> HEY! :-(

>> I agree, I hope to be elderly someday, and that day really isn't too far
>> off. Look at the alternative. :-)
>>
>> My grandma is in her '80s and drives her Accord faster than I normally
>> drive in-town......She is still a pretty sharp old lady though.
>>
>> Pat

>Well, around here we had an elderly (80ies) guy driving his Buick through a
>farmers market in Santa Monica. The trial is on right now. His lawyer claims he
>confused the gas and the brake pedal...

Easily confused. They are both foot pedals, and the manufacturer put them
right next to each other to add insult to injury. And now he is saddened
because he feels he contributed to the dead of these 10 people.

Why doesn't he sue the manufacturer of his car for it continuing to accelerate
even though he had his foot off the accelerator and firmly on the brake?
Any US jury would not only award damages for his misery and loss of income,
but also large amounts of punitive damages, because them manufacturers should
have learned from Audi that they simply cannot do that sort of thing.

Leon

>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old September 27th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Jim wrote:

> I don't agree with everything that Miker says. However, he is
> apparently trying to have an honest discussion instead of just pushing
> emotional buttons.
>
> You all have fun with this thread, I've read more than enough.
>
> Jim

Honest!?!?!?!
Did you read the part about his ultra-responsible college drinking
buddies and the intrusion of the zoned pyscho-woman who could not be
controlled ruining everything?
Johnny Cochran couldn't sell that one in court.

If you have read more than enough, that is your fault, nobody is forcing
you to read anything. On my newsreader, it is right click, ignore
thread, done.
I'll bet, however, that you are still reading this, it is like a bad
soap opera that won't end. ;-)

Pat
Old September 27th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon[_1_]

Default Way off topic (was: Gotcha, you damn drunk driver) NMC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:04:32 +0000, miker wrote:

>> I noticed that you snipped my question on your DUI status. How many
>> times has it been miker?

> One, back in the 80's.

Good post.
Old September 27th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

>> I just can't believe that anyone still does it, especially in such
>> numbers. The education is out there, the enforcement is out there,
>> and there is nothing to possibly be gained by it like with many
>> other crimes.

> We had our annual crackdown in the east valley areas back around Labor
> Day and one officer interviewed on TV said that with all the
> enforcement and all the education there was NO decrease in driving
> under the influence of alcohol, NO decrease in driving under the
> influence of illegal drugs and an INCREASE in driving under the
> influence of prescription drugs, FWIW.

I've often wondered whether there's any way for testing for drugs (legal or
illegal) on the spot? If a policeman suspects a driver is under some form of
narcotic influence, what do they do - haul them in? Can they just do that or
do they have to give them some sort of test first? I can imagine that quite
a few kids now drive while drugged rather than drunk, and that might be more
difficult to determine or prove on the spot.

Eric

Old September 27th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
ron[_1_]

To Eric and those who responded to his message: I don't see what all
this discussion of DUI's and speeding violations ( and the profanity
used to accenuate your feelings) really has to do with Miata issues. Ron

Old September 27th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

"ron" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> To Eric and those who responded to his message: I don't see what all
> this discussion of DUI's and speeding violations ( and the profanity
> used to accenuate your feelings) really has to do with Miata issues. Ron

Fair enough; you're at liberty to ignore this thread. It's very neatly
self-contained to easy enough to ignore.

Eric

YAY - Alledged drunk driver who killed charged with MURDER laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 5 July 28th 06 05:03 PM
Yet another study says CELL PHONE DRIVERS = DRUNK DRIVERS laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 23 July 6th 06 10:16 PM
Another person murdered by a speeding drunk driver wws Driving 3 November 25th 05 09:41 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! Quick sad story. 66 6F HCS Ford Mustang 4 June 18th 05 09:55 PM