rims and tires

Old December 18th 05, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default rims and tires

I would like to put on some 16 -17'' rims and tires does anyone know whats
a good size to put on a stock Maita 96
I don't want to lower it or make it higher I just need it to have some looks
lol

Old December 18th 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article <C33pf.18688$2k.3739@pd7tw1no>, "Dale" >
wrote:

> I would like to put on some 16 -17'' rims and tires does anyone know whats
> a good size to put on a stock Maita 96
> I don't want to lower it or make it higher I just need it to have some looks
> lol

Take it from me: if you can't keep the weight of the wheel/tire
combination close to stock, don't do it.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 18th 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Dale" > wrote in

> I would like to put on some 16 -17'' rims and tires does anyone
> know whats a good size to put on a stock Maita 96
> I don't want to lower it or make it higher I just need it to have
> some looks lol

Pay attention to Allan Baker's advice. You also want to educate
yourself about inset, outset and offset and make sure you understand
exactly what those measurements are on the replacement rims and tires
or else do NOT even think about changing rims and tires. BTW, no use
asking a dealer, most have no clue about those three measurements but
those are the things that will completely screw up your car if you
don't know what you're doing.

Old December 18th 05, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wrote:

> I would like to put on some 16 -17'' rims and tires does anyone know whats
> a good size to put on a stock Maita 96

195/50-15 on a 15x6.5 wheel with 40mm offset and wheel weight under 13
pounds, if you care at all about ride and performance. If not, then get
whatever you like; if it doesn't fit, you'll find out soon enough.

You might find some clues by searching the Wheel and Tire forum at
miata.net.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 18th 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Dale" > wrote:

>I would like to put on some 16 -17'' rims and tires does anyone know whats
>a good size to put on a stock Maita 96
>I don't want to lower it or make it higher I just need it to have some looks
>lol

Various info is in
http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetires.html

I would not go too wide in tires, 195 mm is good if you ask me.

Tirerack.com has a wheel machine that actually works:
http://tinyurl.com/anudh
So has discounttiredirect, IIRC.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 18th 05, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I was thinking something like a 16'' say 205/45/16

Old December 18th 05, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article <Wifpf.20838$2k.20348@pd7tw1no>,
"Dale" > wrote:

> I was thinking something like a 16'' say 205/45/16

I've got 205/40 B.F. Goodrich Euro T/A, and while I love the look, I
definitely screwed up on the wheel weight issue. If I had it to do over
(and next summer, I will), I'd focus more on the unsprung mass and less
on the looks.

Old December 18th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

If you are set on going to 16" rims, the two sizes you should look at

- 215/40R16 (0.4% change in size)
- 205/45R16 (2.6% increase in size)

The 40-profile tires will give a harsher ride, and greater risk of
damage with pot-holed streets.

Both will increase your contact patch, but unless you are adding
power, you will only see a cornering improvement. (And with the 215's
a potential decrease in acceleration...)

Regardless, you will have a *hard* time finding a 16" rim and tire
combo that is equal to or lighter than the stock rims. (Stock 15"
5-spoke is just at 15-lbs...) -- Those that you will find are
normally moderate to high dollar items.

Lanny's post is best on the mark if you are not looking any farther
(performance wise) than changing the rims/tires. -- For that I would
advise the Konig Heliums w/ 195/50R15s

- L

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:37:38 GMT, "Dale" > wrote:

>I would like to put on some 16 -17'' rims and tires does anyone know whats
>a good size to put on a stock Maita 96
>I don't want to lower it or make it higher I just need it to have some looks
>lol

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old December 18th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

L Bader > wrote:

>If you are set on going to 16" rims, the two sizes you should look at
>
> - 215/40R16 (0.4% change in size)
>- 205/45R16 (2.6% increase in size)

I guess if you are going to larger rims, it is a good idea to go wider
as it becomes more difficult to accommodate a longer contact patch?

Old December 19th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

L Bader wrote:
> If you are set on going to 16" rims, the two sizes you should look at
>
> - 215/40R16 (0.4% change in size)
> - 205/45R16 (2.6% increase in size)
>
> The 40-profile tires will give a harsher ride, and greater risk of
> damage with pot-holed streets.

Barely. The 205/40/16 tires I have are almost the exact same profile
height as the 195/50/15's on my last miata.

> Both will increase your contact patch, but unless you are adding
> power, you will only see a cornering improvement. (And with the 215's
> a potential decrease in acceleration...)

You will only see a cornering improvement in some situations. The car
will have more grip, but it will loose "tossability" with any increase
in wheel width.
Of course, the autocross people running 13X8's are not finding it too
much of a problem. ;-)

> Regardless, you will have a *hard* time finding a 16" rim and tire
> combo that is equal to or lighter than the stock rims. (Stock 15"
> 5-spoke is just at 15-lbs...) -- Those that you will find are
> normally moderate to high dollar items.

The stock 15" 5-spoke miata alloy is 13.2 pounds if we are talking about
the style that was introduced with the M2.
I have weighed them on a digital scale and it matches the weight listed
on miata.net.
The forged 16X7 SSR's are something like 10 1/2 pounds, and yes, they
are very expensive.

> Lanny's post is best on the mark if you are not looking any farther
> (performance wise) than changing the rims/tires. -- For that I would
> advise the Konig Heliums w/ 195/50R15s
>
> - L

I would definitely stay with 195/50/15's if there are no plans to
increase the power to a large degree.

There are a lot of advantages to the smaller and less expensive wheels;
less expensive tires, generally less wheel weight per dollar spent, and
less cost if you ruin one, plus thieves tend to ignore 14 and 15 inch
wheels for the most part.

I could find a replacement wheel for my last miata for about $80.00 if I
ruined it. That has now changed to over $300.00, yikes! I "curb-surf" a
bit more carefully these days.

Pat

FS: 4 snow tires on rims in pittsburgh [email protected] VW water cooled 0 November 21st 05 05:05 PM
FS: VW tires and rims tp VW air cooled 1 October 20th 05 03:30 AM
Vibration at 75mph, Not rims or tires, no vibration in steering wheel [email protected] Technology 7 September 23rd 05 12:53 AM
Sleek, Sparkling Rims Power A $3.1 Billion Aftermarket Industry MrPepper11 Driving 69 June 11th 05 04:43 PM
switch tires and rims blackie BMW 3 February 22nd 05 06:40 PM