05/06 comparison

Old September 28th 05, 09:13 AM
Alex M. Postpischil

Default 05/06 comparison

Hi all-
While I'd love to keep driving my 90b forever, it's starting to get to
the point where fixing it is costing too much (though mostly minor
stuff). While I had it in the shop a few weeks ago I milled about the
showroom... While I was really drooling over the Rx8, my heart tells me
to stick with the convertible (hey, it's been good to me since 91!)...
The new 06 was on display and I felt that it was a little chunky in the
fenders and they still had some 05s on the lot. So, my questions a
-is there a website that compares the two generations (I haven't checked
miata.net yet, but will)
-has anyone thrown their golf clubs in the trunk of the 06? It doesn't
look like they'll fit with the new trim panels.
-I tend to cerry odd shaped stuff and like being able to put it on the
rear deck behind the seats - the 06 has trim back there that looks like
that will be difficult - thoughts?
-anything else I need to consider (price break on previous model year,
but maybe not getting options I want, etc)?

Lastly, is there a Miata club in the Las Vegas area? Do the local clubs
still exist anymore? I kind of lost interest way back when the MCA kind
of broke apart and the magazine went out west, etc...
-alex-

Old September 28th 05, 01:01 PM
Christopher Muto

have a look at the bottom of this page for a link to a video that shows how
the new top opens and closes... it is very smooth but it does mean the
elimination of a rear deck when the top is down. sorry that i can't help
answer the other questions. curious how many miles your 90 has on it to be
giving you trouble.
http://tinyurl.com/8xuze

Old September 28th 05, 03:08 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <433A50BE.8080800@_copper_dot_net>,
"Alex M. Postpischil" <apost_@_copper_dot_net> wrote:

> is there a website that compares the two generations

There are a couple of threads on the miata.net forum. Look in the NC
section. There's also a sticky thread in that section that lists online
reviews of the NC, and most of them compare it to the NB.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 28th 05, 06:18 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

I don't think that Alex said he was 'having trouble' with his car, he said
fixing it was beginning to cost too much. I'm thinking he means fixing it up
rather than repairing it. Hopefully he'll chime back in but as with mine, I
look at the total cost to get it back looking really good and I have to add
the cost of a new top, new seats / covers (pretty hard to find a tan leather
drivers seat in good shape), paint and probably front and rear bumper
covers. Then you do have the worry that after shooting the wad on mostlt
athestetic (sp?) items murphy's law will kick in and you'll have some engine
issue to deal with.

Sorry to ramble but that's the way I think allot of us feel, we'd like to
keep our older NA's forever but have to inject reality into the emotional
attachment sometimes.

Chris
92BB&T w/135k

Old September 30th 05, 08:16 AM
Alex M. Postpischil

Well to answer the first question - It'll turn 260,000 within the next
week or so. With regard to the cost/benefit analysis - I'm talking about
repairing it. Last month I had to get a new alternator (the previous one
was replaced in 2000). Annoyingly, the dealer (yes, I use Mazda parts
for everything I can) it turns out put the belt on sideways and within a
week of driving it broke. But I was in anotehr state, having just moved
to Las Vegas... But other things add up too - a few years back the car
was broken into and an attempt made to steal the stereo. The damaged the
dash so I got a "new" one from MazMart. The only problem was that
earlier this year some of the mounting tabs broke. SO, the instrument
cluster hood is relatively loose, the cover plate under the steering
column fell off (no way to resecure it), the CD player is dying (& LCD
on the radio), the car rattles a lot (not to mention the loose heat
shields) and the driver seat needs a new cover... But truly fixing all
the little things isn't worth it. My insurance (and I'm a good driver)
is way too much in proportion to the value of the car. If I'm going to
spend this much I want to spend it on a worthwhile investment. I think
getting 15 years as a daily driver has been a rewarding experience, but
it's time to get something new...As an aside, when it's time to get the
new car I'll be selling the 90 - keep your eyes posted, it should be
within 6 months...
-alex-

ps- thanks for the pointers on the real questions I asked...